D-day: saving the free world....

On June 5th after having made the fateful decision to launch the attack on the next morning, Ike wrote down a very different message. He shared his scribbling with no one. He folded the message neatly and placed it in his wallet. The statement never saw the light of day until after the invasion and the war was won, but it says a great deal about the character of the man who wrote it.

“Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this
time and place was based on the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do.
If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone.”

EMC - Eisenhower Stories - Ike Accepts Responsibility

and how close that complete defeat was.....as the germany troops waited for orders, american troops were regrouping...yelling from one place to another....finding those alive and regrouping....to launch another offensive....the germans waited....

there is a small video that shows the hell of the landing....

Hitler's D-Day Mistakes

not here but on the first link, this discusses the mistakes the germans made

msnbc, drudge nor google...mention that today is the anniversary of d day....

google is all about this being the anniversary of drive in movies....

have we forgotten this day or the men who died so we could chitty chat on messageboards....

The visions of fellow soldiers who lost limbs. An Army grunt whose eyes were left dangling from his head after an artillery blast. The morning Wood ate breakfast while sitting on what he thought was a dry patch of ground, only to find it was a dead German soldier, frozen stiff in Ardennes Forest.

But with today being the 68th anniversary of the historic Allied invasion of Normandy during World War II, Wood wants to tell his story. He wants to honor the soldiers who didn’t come home, and he wants his children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren to know what he did and what he saw.

On D-Day anniversary, Asheville veteran reflects on bitter combat | The Asheville Citizen-Times | citizen-times.com

Forum List

Back