D.C. workers face firing for unemployment fraud

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Nearly 90 city employees were suspended Monday and face potential firing and prosecution for receiving unemployment benefits while holding their city jobs, District officials said.

In addition, about 40 former city workers cashed unemployment checks they were not entitled to and also face sanctions. In all, the city estimates it has paid out as much as $800,000 in unemployment benefits to working city employees since 2009.

“By holding people accountable, that sends a clear message we’re not tolerating this behavior,” said Lisa Mallory, director of the D.C. Department of Employment Services, which administers the jobless benefits program.

Wow. They won't tolerate it anymore? :eusa_hand:

I hope we get a followup to see how many have been fired, made restitution, or did jail time. (insert snark mark here)

Nearly 90 city employees were suspended Monday and face potential firing and prosecution for receiving unemployment benefits while holding their city jobs, District officials said.

In addition, about 40 former city workers cashed unemployment checks they were not entitled to and also face sanctions. In all, the city estimates it has paid out as much as $800,000 in unemployment benefits to working city employees since 2009.

“By holding people accountable, that sends a clear message we’re not tolerating this behavior,” said Lisa Mallory, director of the D.C. Department of Employment Services, which administers the jobless benefits program.

I hope we get a followup to see how many have been fired, made restitution, or did jail time. (insert snark mark here)

Forget the "snark mark", how about a :link: ?

It would make more sense to make them pay back the money they swindled.

It would make more sense to make them pay back the money they swindled.

That AND get fired...
People in Michigan are getting their UE checks cut off soon...they'll get nothing. While people like this are collecting from it while still having a job. Makes me sick.......

sooo many leecher cheaters around,, nobody can be honest anymore? what they did is anti American. pure and simple.

They should have already been fired..

We had a layoff where i work a couple years ago, and after they were all called back a 2 or 3 people kept collecting their UE checks. They no longer work here!

I don't see why they should be fired at all. They should have to repay all the unemployment payments they received inappropriately. But it's pointless to fire them. There's no reason for their employer to in the middle of this.

i don't see why they should be fired at all. They should have to repay all the unemployment payments they received inappropriately. But it's pointless to fire them. There's no reason for their employer to in the middle of this.

omgawd..

i don't see why they should be fired at all. They should have to repay all the unemployment payments they received inappropriately. But it's pointless to fire them. There's no reason for their employer to in the middle of this.

omgawd..

In other words, you recognize that there indeed is no reason for them to be fired, other than your irrational hatred and desire to hurt these people.

omgawd..

In other words, you recognize that there indeed is no reason for them to be fired, other than your irrational hatred and desire to hurt these people.

unlike you, I don't condone STEALING..

IDIOT

I don't see why they should be fired at all. They should have to repay all the unemployment payments they received inappropriately. But it's pointless to fire them. There's no reason for their employer to in the middle of this.

You would be wrong.

Employers pay for unemployment, not the workers. The result is higher premiums for that insurance.

Forum List

Back