Cyclonus (Robot): Edmond's Detention

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is an A.I. aesthetics parable I've been working on (it's my last one), and it's modelled after a work by Isaac Asimov I really like.

It's based on a fictional A.I. robot named Cyclonus (Transformers).

Cheers,

pic1.jpg

====

Edmond was a high-thinking philosopher educated at Oxford and living in Cottingley, England. He was an avid fan of comic books and especially liked Detective Comics and the urban masked vigilante Batman who tackled criminal insanity. Edmond wanted to create a church completely made of glass where vegetables and flowers would grow (so the church-structure itself could be referenced as a general spiritual 'symbol' of eco-activism). This, however, was a far-away dream for Edmond and presently, he worried about the sociocultural impact of a fictional A.I. (Artificial Intelligence) robot named Cyclonus, a 'wolfish first-knight' robot of the evil 'Decepticon' robot army from the popular A.I. fantasy-adventure franchise Transformers (Hasbro).

Cyclonus was everything Edmond was not; cunning, diabolical, and evil. Cyclonus symbolized a modernism paranoia regarding the emotional 'impact' of profiteerism/piracy in a capitalism-gauged 'Earth.' Cyclonus was purple-colored and had impressive metallic horns protruding from his sleek head. Cyclonus represented malice and mischief --- towards fertility, governance, teamwork, and even innocence. Edmond wondered why such a 'totem' of evil could be marketed to freely (and hence carelessly) in cartoons/films marketed primarily(!) to youngsters. Edmond knew that if Cyclonus went unchecked/unevaluated in popular culture, there would be a real moral and psychological danger regarding its proper referencing (and Edmond would never feel spiritually carefree enough to pursue his dream of his 'eco-friendly glass-greenhouse church').

Edmond decided to write a book about the social significance of Cyclonus titled Wolfen A.I. It won Edmond the Nobel Prize. Suddenly, audiences were more shrewd about the wise marketing of Cyclonus and how ideas regarding piracy in fictional/imaginary robot universes represented real fears regarding complete social network breakdown (including violence towards the weak and vulnerable!). Edmond felt so proud that his work was recognized as a valuable guidebook for understanding the proper course of A.I. 'politics' analysis. Now, Edmond felt comfortable and confident enough to pursue his glass-church dream, but in the back of his mind, he always wondered if Cyclonus was somehow...ugly!

====

cyclonus.jpg

Forum List

Back