Cycling

A thirty to one hundred inch gear range is not at all too limited. That is just one example with 700c wheels and a 21t cog on the hub, 45t chain wheel. Of course, the choices are almost endless. The sixteen speed mentioned in another post has a range of 31 to 112 inches. My step-son just arrived a few minutes ago from a 300 km+ tour in the Bordeaux region with this machine.
Of the arguments that can be made against these hubs (though I can't understand the resistance; no one is forcing them on anyone), gear range is not one of them. They are a thoroughly viable alternative for a great percentage of riders.
The very first wheel I built with one of these hubs (an early seven speed) was for a mountain bike magazine that wanted to test it under hard conditions. They often visited the bicycle shop where I was working at the time and had us do several projects for them. They were very satisfied with how the hub performed. That was over twenty years ago.

If they were so great 20 years ago I'd think you'd see more of them today with the advances in manufacturing.
What does the hub run?

Another question I would ask, is what is the hub weigh when compared with a standard cassette and derailer.

There's obviously a downside to them or we'd see em everywhere.
And I dont really see that much of a benefit to being able to shift when not pedaling.
It's a simple matter to anticipate your next gear by the terrain you're approaching.

Another question I would ask, is what is the hub weigh when compared with a standard cassette and derailer.

And I dont really see that much of a benefit to being able to shift when not pedaling.
It's a simple matter to anticipate your next gear by the terrain you're approaching.

I gotta agree with you on this one. If you aren't anticipating the terrain, you are probably also not noticing all the traffic around you.

And, if they were REALLY effective, don't you think that some of the professional teams would use them? I know that just about every kind of new tech that comes out shows up on the bikes of racers FIRST if it really works.

Remember when Lemond beat Fingion back in the 80's with an aero helmet and a skin suit? He made up almost 30 seconds in the LAST stage.

Shortly after that, aerodynamics became all the rage.

I gotta agree with you on this one. If you aren't anticipating the terrain, you are probably also not noticing all the traffic around you.

And, if they were REALLY effective, don't you think that some of the professional teams would use them? I know that just about every kind of new tech that comes out shows up on the bikes of racers FIRST.

Kinda reminds me of the BioPace chainrings....:abgg2q.jpg:

Matter of fact, the first year that SRAAM came out with their products, they were showing up on bikes in the Tour de France.

If something works really well (and if I could afford a SRAAM gruppo, I'd probably replace my Campy), you can bet that pro riders will use it.

To repeat (for those that did not read the post) "Certainly, a full carbon, slick, speed racer with a 30 speed latest-model derailleur system is going to win a major race over anything less.
We're talking here about fun, reliable cruising and touring. There is no argument that direct chain drive is more efficient than cog gears that intervene. That said, the day to day convenience of high quality internal hub transmissions is certainly worth the modest sacrifice."
If you don't see them, you aren't looking, even at the very pictures posted here. The bike on the work stand (post 106) has an internal transmission.

Matter of fact, the first year that SRAAM came out with their products, they were showing up on bikes in the Tour de France.

If something works really well (and if I could afford a SRAAM gruppo, I'd probably replace my Campy), you can bet that pro riders will use it.

The SRAM groupo I found wasnt that expensive really.
https://www.coloradocyclist.com/sra...MYOu35SxW5Cb64zgReLq6eT_MaIbph9hoCdgYQAvD_BwE

It compared with my Dura Ace groupo in price.
Shimano Dura Ace R9100 11 Speed Groupset

Around $1500 to $1700 hundred bucks.

To repeat (for those that did not read the post) "Certainly, a full carbon, slick, speed racer with a 30 speed latest-model derailleur system is going to win a major race over anything less.
We're talking here about fun, reliable cruising and touring. There is no argument that direct chain drive is more efficient than cog gears that intervene. That said, the day to day convenience of high quality internal hub transmissions is certainly worth the modest sacrifice."
If you don't see them, you aren't looking, even at the very pictures posted here. The bike on the work stand has an internal transmission.

I always notice bikes,just as I always notice the quality of a machined part since I was a machinist.
They are not at all common around here.

And as I said,they may have their uses but they obviously have their limitations or you'd see far more of them.

Whats the price on the hub?
It could very well be that it is more than the average ride around the block type rider wants to pay,but not as good performance wise as a Dura Ace groupo when it comes to serious riding.

Forum List

Back