Cyberbaiting: a New Teen Trend That Humiliates Teachers

There’s a brand new-phenomenon teachers should add to their “beware of” lists. It’s called cyberbaiting, and while the verb hasn’t yet made it into the dictionary, or even onto Wikipedia, the growing trend has already been documented by the Norton Online Family Report.

According to the study, cyberbaiting “is when students irritate or ‘bait’ a teacher until the teacher gets so frustrated they yell or have a breakdown. Students are ready for the teacher to crack and film the incident on cell phones so they can later post the footage online, causing further shame or trouble for the teacher or school.”

Cyberbaiting: a New Teen Trend That Humiliates Teachers | TakePart - News, Culture, Videos and Photos That Make the World Better

I have never been provoked enough to lose my cool, but that is simply because we have a supportive discipline policy, where disruptive students can be kicked out of class. Many schools do not have this, and all discipline issues must be handled exclusively by the teacher. You can imagine that kind of stress.

Cell phones in schools have changed the nature of teaching and learning - for the worse. What should be done, if anything?

I am confused. Are you saying that the brats are texting the teachers, trying to piss them off? It's too bad that wooden paddle isn't still hanging next to the door, like it was in my classrooms.

I'm not usually a big fan of corporal punshiment, but somehow, these kids need to understand that teachers are to be RESPECTED! Now, I understand that not all teachers are "good". In my school system, we have two teachers in prison for life: one for molesting over 30 boys, and another for murdering our assistant principal. Another was caught having sex with a 17-year old boy, and yet another had a relationship with a teenaged girl.

BUT...most teachers actually care about what they do, and they care about their students. Yes....cell-phones need to be banned at the beginning of class. Have them place their names on them, and place them all in one location to be redistributed at the end of class. This is sickening, and I hate that teachers are having to deal with this.

They are provoking the teachers and then recording them with the cameras on their cell phones. But teachers don't have to let them get the upper hand. I don't know why they do.

I learned when I was teaching that cheating is very high tech and sophisticated. Some mechanical pencils actually have the capability of photographing a test. We used to give out wooden pencils to the students and did not allow them to have anything on their desk but that and the test. Not even a bottle of water. We also didn't allow them to wear hats or caps as cheat notes can be tucked away in them. They had to leave everything in their cars or lockers and bring nothing to class but their bodies on test day.

I have had students try to provoke me. But as I said earlier when they did that I would just say, 'I see you are having difficulty with this material. Come to my office after class and I will help you individually.' That worked like a charm.

Last edited:
The most effective techique i imagine would be to send disruptive students out of the classroom. Keeps them from interfering with the students who want to learn.

That would actually solve a lot of the problems in public schools today. The problem is there is this flawed idea that every child deserves an education. As a result, repeat troublemakers always end up back in the classroom eventually causing more disruptions and problems, instead of being permanently expelled like they deserve.
Thankfully for me, kids DON'T have a right to a bus ride. They can be stuck on the short bus at the parent's expense or being taken to and from school by the parent if they won't behave.

That's good. You have an administration there who isn't afraid to stand up to the parents.

Didn't say that. It's just law. I also have the right to refuse to haul the little bastard home, or call the cops to have the child removed. THAT always ends well... :rolleyes: They never like those threats of having to call mommy and daddy to come get them at school because they've been written up 6 times and I don't have to haul them any more.

Good for you Old Navy.

I'm pretty easygoing and little shocks or riles me - so I'm not an easy target either. But I know some teachers who don't have that patience or don't have a thick skin. That doesn't make them "bad teachers" nor deserving of public humiliation. It's a scary new world.

No they do not deserve to be treated badly. You can smell fear in some teachers. They got into the job to save the world but found that reality is not like Freedom Writers.

There’s a brand new-phenomenon teachers should add to their “beware of” lists. It’s called cyberbaiting, and while the verb hasn’t yet made it into the dictionary, or even onto Wikipedia, the growing trend has already been documented by the Norton Online Family Report.

According to the study, cyberbaiting “is when students irritate or ‘bait’ a teacher until the teacher gets so frustrated they yell or have a breakdown. Students are ready for the teacher to crack and film the incident on cell phones so they can later post the footage online, causing further shame or trouble for the teacher or school.”

Cyberbaiting: a New Teen Trend That Humiliates Teachers | TakePart - News, Culture, Videos and Photos That Make the World Better

I have never been provoked enough to lose my cool, but that is simply because we have a supportive discipline policy, where disruptive students can be kicked out of class. Many schools do not have this, and all discipline issues must be handled exclusively by the teacher. You can imagine that kind of stress.

Cell phones in schools have changed the nature of teaching and learning - for the worse. What should be done, if anything?
What should be done, if anything?
12-in-wood-paddle-holes-P511-300x300.jpg

I am confused. Are you saying that the brats are texting the teachers, trying to piss them off? It's too bad that wooden paddle isn't still hanging next to the door, like it was in my classrooms.

I'm not usually a big fan of corporal punshiment, but somehow, these kids need to understand that teachers are to be RESPECTED! Now, I understand that not all teachers are "good". In my school system, we have two teachers in prison for life: one for molesting over 30 boys, and another for murdering our assistant principal. Another was caught having sex with a 17-year old boy, and yet another had a relationship with a teenaged girl.

BUT...most teachers actually care about what they do, and they care about their students. Yes....cell-phones need to be banned at the beginning of class. Have them place their names on them, and place them all in one location to be redistributed at the end of class. This is sickening, and I hate that teachers are having to deal with this.

They are provoking the teachers and then recording them with the cameras on their cell phones. But teachers don't have to let them get the upper hand. I don't know why they do.

I learned when I was teaching that cheating is very high tech and sophisticated. Some mechanical pencils actually have the capability of photographing a test. We used to give out wooden pencils to the students and did not allow them to have anything on their desk but that and the test. Not even a bottle of water. We also didn't allow them to wear hats or caps as cheat notes can be tucked away in them. They had to leave everything in their cars or lockers and bring nothing to class but their bodies on test day.

I have had students try to provoke me. But as I said earlier when they did that I would just say, 'I see you are having difficulty with this material. Come to my office after class and I will help you individually.' That worked like a charm.

Great ideas.

Ah yes... the board of education. Wish I could at times. BOY do I wish I could.

But since there is a 'no touch' rule, I'm blessed with a voice that is classically trained and can generate more power than 60 screaming kids, and at close range can startle the shit out of the kids at the BACK of the bus when I cut loose. Has saved me a LOT of trouble just shouting "SIDDOWN AND STOP BITING YOUR NEIGHBOR!!!"

Funniest incident was a bee got on the bus, and some girls in back freaked out while driving. A little 4th grader who thought he was all that and a bag of frijoles got up and started 'rushing to the rescue'. I hollered once "HEY! SIDDOWN! It's not your job!" and he literally, and I do MEAN literally looked like he was attached to the end of a leash and leaped backward 2 rows into his seat as if he was yanked. I laughed all through dealing with the bee after I pulled over and ushered it out the emergency vent.

Last edited:

But since there is a 'no touch' rule, I'm blessed with a voice that is classically trained and can generate more power than 60 screaming kids, and at close range can startle the shit out of the kids at the BACK of the bus when I cut loose. Has saved me a LOT of trouble just shouting "SIDDOWN AND STOP BITING YOUR NEIGHBOR!!!"

Funniest incident was a bee got on the bus, and some girls in back freaked out while driving. A little 4th grader who thought he was all that and a bag of frijoles got up and started 'rushing to the rescue'. I hollered once "HEY! SIDDOWN! It's not your job!" and he literally, and I do MEAN literally looked like he was attached to the end of a leash and leaped backward 2 rows into his seat as if he was yanked. I laughed all through dealing with the bee after I pulled over and ushered it out the emergency vent.

Sometimes the voice isn't enough. The board has been proven to be very effective.

The mistake you are making is that you are taking your district, your experience and the people you know and attributing that to schools and teaches universally.

This is far from reality.

Teacher Shot in Classroom - NYTimes.com

Teacher Shot In Shoulder By Her Student - Chicago Tribune

:eusa_shhh:
Any group that deals with the American Public is gonna get a few shots thrown their way. Presidents, congressman, judges, cops, mailmen...whatever.

This is a thread about a "trend" to "humiliate teachers."

Teachers that have practice good classroom discipline have less trouble with discipline problems.

How does this simple concept escape you?

:eusa_hand:

I'll take actual experience over a few sensationalized stories from the media. I'll also be glad to skip over your off-topic, bomb-throwing, bullshit posts.

It escapes me mostly because classroom discipline happens so seldom as to be remarkable! Violence against teachers, on the other hand, is quite common. Violence to the point of death is quite common. I grant that it does not happen in your district. Your experience then can just be described as limited. Which is a GOOD thing. You are fortunate but may not always be so.

Fail: Chicken Little, "violence to the point of death" is not "quite common" in public schools.

The fact that violent classrooms make the news is proof that they are an anomoly, and that classroom discipline is the norm.

Get a Fucking Grip.

Sometimes the voice isn't enough. The board has been proven to be very effective.
yeppers!!!

Forum List

Back