Cyberbaiting: a New Teen Trend That Humiliates Teachers

Wow. None of the teachers in our district have been trained to safely (and legally) restrain an out of control child. Therefore the rule of thumb is to NEVER touch them - even when trying to stop a fight. That responsibility has been handed over to the police. Blame the lawyers.

I doubt that is true.

SpEd teachers are probably trained.

But most other teachers are not, and I agree with your "rule of thumb:" If an untrained teacher restrains a student and in the process harms the student, they can be terminated.

Even if the DO NOT HARM a SpEd student, the teacher will usually be required to take a class in restraining. They may expect that for two hours every Thursday for (4) weeks AFTER SCHOOL, to attend.

Ask me how I know......

The mistake you are making is that you are taking your district, your experience and the people you know and attributing that to schools and teaches universally.

This is far from reality.

Teacher Shot in Classroom - NYTimes.com

Teacher Shot In Shoulder By Her Student - Chicago Tribune

:eusa_shhh:
Any group that deals with the American Public is gonna get a few shots thrown their way. Presidents, congressman, judges, cops, mailmen...whatever.

This is a thread about a "trend" to "humiliate teachers."

Teachers that have practice good classroom discipline have less trouble with discipline problems.

How does this simple concept escape you?

:eusa_hand:

I'll take actual experience over a few sensationalized stories from the media. I'll also be glad to skip over your off-topic, bomb-throwing, bullshit posts.

Wow. None of the teachers in our district have been trained to safely (and legally) restrain an out of control child. Therefore the rule of thumb is to NEVER touch them - even when trying to stop a fight. That responsibility has been handed over to the police. Blame the lawyers.

I doubt that is true.

But most other teachers are not, and I agree with your "rule of thumb:" If an untrained teacher restrains a student and in the process harms the student, they can be terminated.

Even if the DO NOT HARM a SpEd student, the teacher will usually be required to take a class in restraining. They may expect that for two hours every Thursday for (4) weeks AFTER SCHOOL, to attend.

Ask me how I know......

I am a SpED teacher (14 years) in a fairly large school district (3000 students). NONE of us have been trained. That doesn't mean that a teacher will not intervene in a fight. We have a few good men who are willing to stick out their neck when they see a kid getting his head kicked in, but it is a personal risk they take. I doubt the administration would back them if push came to shove.

Our security team is retired law enforcement. They are our peace of mind.

I doubt that is true.

Ask me how I know......

I am a SpED teacher (14 years) in a fairly large school district (3000 students). NONE of us have been trained. That doesn't mean that a teacher will not intervene in a fight. We have a few good men who are willing to stick out their neck when they see a kid getting his head kicked in, but it is a personal risk they take. I doubt the administration would back them if push came to shove.

Our security team is retired law enforcement. They are our peace of mind.

Well, you are in a very poorly administered district....actually 3000 students seems like a very small district, especially for such a populated state; or I could be mistaken, and you're out in some wilderness area of New Jersey, growing tomatoes over the graves of Mafia Kingpins.

Ha ha. You are unfamiliar with our system here. We have over 600 school districts. 3000 is above average.

Currently, New Jersey has 618 school districts. This high number of districts is in large part due to the long tradition of home rule in this State. Bergen County alone has 79 school districts; Passaic, 21 and Morris 41. One third of the school districts in the State have fewer than 1,000 students, and nine have fewer than 100 students.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/legislativepub/reports/school.pdf

Last edited:
Ha ha. You are unfamiliar with our system here. We have over 600 school districts. 3000 is above average.

Yes it is a very wierd set-up or Regional, County, Town, and a bizzare assortment of other categories of districts.

In Suburban Texas, an average middle school has 800 students.

An average Highschool has 4000 students.

A single district can have as many as 10-12 highschools.

Districts are very strictly divided: borders do not over-lap, and their is no "open enrollment," EVEN WITHIN THE DISTRICT!

I doubt that is true.

Ask me how I know......

The mistake you are making is that you are taking your district, your experience and the people you know and attributing that to schools and teaches universally.

This is far from reality.

Teacher Shot in Classroom - NYTimes.com

Teacher Shot In Shoulder By Her Student - Chicago Tribune

:eusa_shhh:
Any group that deals with the American Public is gonna get a few shots thrown their way. Presidents, congressman, judges, cops, mailmen...whatever.

This is a thread about a "trend" to "humiliate teachers."

Teachers that have practice good classroom discipline have less trouble with discipline problems.

How does this simple concept escape you?

:eusa_hand:

I'll take actual experience over a few sensationalized stories from the media. I'll also be glad to skip over your off-topic, bomb-throwing, bullshit posts.

It escapes me mostly because classroom discipline happens so seldom as to be remarkable! Violence against teachers, on the other hand, is quite common. Violence to the point of death is quite common. I grant that it does not happen in your district. Your experience then can just be described as limited. Which is a GOOD thing. You are fortunate but may not always be so.

Regionalization and school consolidation have been hot button issues here for years. Christie will not be able to get this state back on track without it, but we Jerzoids like "home rule".

THAT is why NJ public schools cost so much, but while people bitch about school taxes, pensions, sick time, etc. no one wants to merge.

I don't either, but I know the debt clock is ticking.

Since size has been mentioned, I'll add that I teach in the most diverse school in the 11th largest system in the country. The majority of our students are on free or reduced lunches, 20 percent are white, and a whole bunch don't do English very well.

I am in the CTE department which means I get lots of kids that are not exactly the best performing in the building. In fact, I have as many IEPs as some SPED teachers have.

So how does a white male survive in that environment. First, I make sure they know that I give a damn. I'm not afraid to tell them what the unemployment rate is for black males. I tell them the first week of school what it will take to get a letter of recommendation from me for jobs, college, NHS, etc. I have coached baseball and football and ask the kids about the other sports they participate in, even cheerleading and band. I'm not afraid to let them know that if they do not get something, it is not always about racism. They may just have to improve some aspect of their resume or appearance and try again. I treat them with respect and expect the same in return. I participate in their fund raisers and this year to the point of pain. I sometimes give a kid money or food from my lunch bag if they need it. I learn their first names within 2 or 3 weeks from the first day I meet them. That is no easy task as I have 175 students, and out of those 175, not one would dare pull something like "cyberbaiting" on me.

Good for you Old Navy.

I'm pretty easygoing and little shocks or riles me - so I'm not an easy target either. But I know some teachers who don't have that patience or don't have a thick skin. That doesn't make them "bad teachers" nor deserving of public humiliation. It's a scary new world.

The good news is.....in 20 years most schools will be virtual....why spend millions in facilities? The Internet is going to seriously change schools and teaching. The teachers unions will fight it, but they will lose.

Last edited:
There’s a brand new-phenomenon teachers should add to their “beware of” lists. It’s called cyberbaiting, and while the verb hasn’t yet made it into the dictionary, or even onto Wikipedia, the growing trend has already been documented by the Norton Online Family Report.

According to the study, cyberbaiting “is when students irritate or ‘bait’ a teacher until the teacher gets so frustrated they yell or have a breakdown. Students are ready for the teacher to crack and film the incident on cell phones so they can later post the footage online, causing further shame or trouble for the teacher or school.”

Cyberbaiting: a New Teen Trend That Humiliates Teachers | TakePart - News, Culture, Videos and Photos That Make the World Better

I have never been provoked enough to lose my cool, but that is simply because we have a supportive discipline policy, where disruptive students can be kicked out of class. Many schools do not have this, and all discipline issues must be handled exclusively by the teacher. You can imagine that kind of stress.

Cell phones in schools have changed the nature of teaching and learning - for the worse. What should be done, if anything?
IT's also being done on school buses by kids who want to catch the next national 'incident'. This is all about glory and fame hunting on the part of the kids combined with a nasty case of schadenfreude. Cell phones are a detriment to the entire education process now because kids often do not have the morality or ethical understanding to use them properly.

I have never been provoked enough to lose my cool, but that is simply because we have a supportive discipline policy, where disruptive students can be kicked out of class. Many schools do not have this, and all discipline issues must be handled exclusively by the teacher. You can imagine that kind of stress.

Cell phones in schools have changed the nature of teaching and learning - for the worse. What should be done, if anything?

Sounds like a parental problem to me.

There’s a brand new-phenomenon teachers should add to their “beware of” lists. It’s called cyberbaiting, and while the verb hasn’t yet made it into the dictionary, or even onto Wikipedia, the growing trend has already been documented by the Norton Online Family Report.

According to the study, cyberbaiting “is when students irritate or ‘bait’ a teacher until the teacher gets so frustrated they yell or have a breakdown. Students are ready for the teacher to crack and film the incident on cell phones so they can later post the footage online, causing further shame or trouble for the teacher or school.”

Cyberbaiting: a New Teen Trend That Humiliates Teachers | TakePart - News, Culture, Videos and Photos That Make the World Better

I am confused. Are you saying that the brats are texting the teachers, trying to piss them off? It's too bad that wooden paddle isn't still hanging next to the door, like it was in my classrooms.

I'm not usually a big fan of corporal punshiment, but somehow, these kids need to understand that teachers are to be RESPECTED! Now, I understand that not all teachers are "good". In my school system, we have two teachers in prison for life: one for molesting over 30 boys, and another for murdering our assistant principal. Another was caught having sex with a 17-year old boy, and yet another had a relationship with a teenaged girl.

BUT...most teachers actually care about what they do, and they care about their students. Yes....cell-phones need to be banned at the beginning of class. Have them place their names on them, and place them all in one location to be redistributed at the end of class. This is sickening, and I hate that teachers are having to deal with this.

The most effective techique i imagine would be to send disruptive students out of the classroom. Keeps them from interfering with the students who want to learn.

That would actually solve a lot of the problems in public schools today. The problem is there is this flawed idea that every child deserves an education. As a result, repeat troublemakers always end up back in the classroom eventually causing more disruptions and problems, instead of being permanently expelled like they deserve.

The most effective techique i imagine would be to send disruptive students out of the classroom. Keeps them from interfering with the students who want to learn.

That would actually solve a lot of the problems in public schools today. The problem is there is this flawed idea that every child deserves an education. As a result, repeat troublemakers always end up back in the classroom eventually causing more disruptions and problems, instead of being permanently expelled like they deserve.

Very good point. There is NO reason for a child to have a cell phone during class. If they don't want to learn, or their parents don't want to take the time to teach them to respect their elders, then the principal needs to get involved.

Because there is academic freedom at the college level, there are certain procedures that have to be followed in order to actually do that. It can get very convoluted.

Sounds like a parental problem to me.
That's the start of it, yes. It's made worse by bad, uninvolved or defensive parents. Not MY little angel! Oh no... of course not! :rolleyes: The teacher just suddenly freaked out and screamed at your child for no reason what so ever. The bus driver so hated your kid that he had to pull over for 20 minutes because he wanted to scream at your kid because he had nothing else better to do and his hate overrode his desire to keep his job or just go home and do other things in his life.

Seen it happen, heard about it happening many times.

Because there is academic freedom at the college level, there are certain procedures that have to be followed in order to actually do that. It can get very convoluted.

Is this at the college level? Well, then I say piss on them. Kick them out. They're adults and they certainly should know better. If they don't want to learn, and improve themselves, let them go get a job at at Walmart for a few months.

They will wish they'd left the instructors, professors, etc..alone. Little brats. No better word to describe them.

Thankfully for me, kids DON'T have a right to a bus ride. They can be stuck on the short bus at the parent's expense or being taken to and from school by the parent if they won't behave.

Forum List

Back