Cyberbaiting: a New Teen Trend That Humiliates Teachers

I don't think it's a new trend. We used to try to get the teacher's riled up until they cried. The difference is, they now have cameras and can post it.

Kids don't change all that much, electronics change everyday tho.

I never tried to rile up a teacher.

I didn't want to have to tell my parents why I got kicked out of school.

My mom should have been put in charge of the CIA because she could get a confession out of anyone.

We were brats but we were high school age and I am assuming these kids are too. They aren't any brattier than we were. The kids know when they can get to you.

We went into one class and everyone turned their desks around facing the back. This particular teacher just walked to the back and started his class. Funny. School is usually boring so kids try to stir things up.

Before I started my current high school teaching job, I taught at a career college with mostly inner city "adult" students. One night a student baited me into saying damn. She whipped out her cell phone to record the rest of the conversation. I silently told her to put it away. She refused so I grabbed the phone and broke it in half. It was night therefore no one important was in the building. The next day the Director of Education called me in and asked about it. I denied it happened and walked out. Fortunately I found another job soon after that.

Now with all your little darlings in my charge, I just make them think that I will hurt them.

Just kidding. It's a challenge but firm enforcement of the rules and letting them know you give a damn goes a long way in classroom management.

Last edited:
Before I started my current high school teaching job, I taught at a career college with mostly inner city "adult" students. One night a student baited me into saying damn. She whipped out her cell phone to record the rest of the conversation. I silently told her to put it away. She refused so I grabbed the phone and broke it in half. It was night therefore no one important was in the building. The next day the Director of Education called me in and asked about it. I denied it happened and walked out. Fortunately I found another job soon after that.
Now with all your little darlings in my charge, I just make them think that I will hurt them.

Just kidding. It's a challenge but firm enforcement of the rules and letting them know you give a damn goes a long way in classroom management.

Good job sir!:clap2:

There are schools where you can't send students to the principal's office?

Well, yes and no.

A teacher can always tell a student to go to the office.

But then what happens?

A. The student goes off campus: The teacher is then blamed
B. The principal will wonder: Why couldn't the teacher handle this?
C. The student goes to the office, then is returned to the class, demonstrating that the administration cannot do any more than the teacher.

The solution to unruley students is unfortuneate, but true:
1. The FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL the teacher must establish a few classroom rules. These rules must be posted, uniform with other teachers' and administrators' expectations, and very simple (i.e. Do not leave your seat without permission)
2. EARLY IN THE YEAR, the teacher must document ALL infractions of the rules.
3. The teacher must CALL THE PARENT(s) of the unruly student(s)
4. The phone call MUST BE DOCUMENTED.

The PUBLIC SCHOOL system is very simple really, but it is also very tedious, and most teachers like to bypass it and hope for the best: These teachers are not necessarily lazy (although some are), but rather they are misguided into believing that their job is anything but disciplining people.

They have been lead to believe they are, say, a "Math Teacher," so quite naturally, they believe their job is to teach math.

WRONG.

Teaching math, English, or whatever is only an excuse for disciplining young minds enough so that they will be useful for more than criminal activity.

I know there's going to be all sorts of knashing of teeth over this post: How could I be so CYNICAL!!!???

My answer: Go ahead and try to teach anything WITHOUT DISCIPLINE.

Last edited:
Samson is 100% right on this point.

Civilization, good manners, culture rest on discipline, either self or imposed or both.

Thank you, Samson, for being to the go to guy for truth telling on this issue.

I don't think it's a new trend. We used to try to get the teacher's riled up until they cried. The difference is, they now have cameras and can post it.

My mom should have been put in charge of the CIA because she could get a confession out of anyone.

Exactly!
It begins at home...thats what everybody is forgetting. Sounds like the problem here is the parents dont care what the kids are doing.
If one of my kids did that to a teacher, the phone would be shut off. Obviously they are'nt responsible enough to have one.

Wow what brats!

Cell phones should never be allowed in class. Period.... not even the teacher should be using it during class.

I applaud you guys who teach. You earn that money! :clap2:

Exactly!
It begins at home...thats what everybody is forgetting. Sounds like the problem here is the parents dont care what the kids are doing.
If one of my kids did that to a teacher, the phone would be shut off. Obviously they are'nt responsible enough to have one.

Wow what brats!

Cell phones should never be allowed in class. Period.... not even the teacher should be using it during class.

I applaud you guys who teach. You earn that money! :clap2:

No, the problem is often that the parents do not KNOW what their kids are doing.

They do not know, because the teachers do not CALL THEM!

The teachers do not call them because they do not believe IT IS THEIR JOB!

The fact is, communicating with parents is the main job of a teacher.

Well, yes and no.

But then what happens?

C. The student goes to the office, then is returned to the class, demonstrating that the administration cannot do any more than the teacher.

1. The FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL the teacher must establish a few classroom rules. These rules must be posted, uniform with other teachers' and administrators' expectations, and very simple (i.e. Do not leave your seat without permission)

The PUBLIC SCHOOL system is very simple really, but it is also very tedious, and most teachers like to bypass it and hope for the best: These teachers are not necessarily lazy (although some are), but rather they are misguided into believing that their job is anything but disciplining people.

They have been lead to believe they are, say, a "Math Teacher," so quite naturally, they believe their job is to teach math.

WRONG.

Teaching math, English, or whatever is only an excuse for disciplining young minds enough so that they will be useful for more than criminal activity.

I know there's going to be all sorts of knashing of teeth over this post: How could I be so CYNICAL!!!???

Same thing happened in my classes in high school.

But this one class, the teacher was too nice. (But it was a free period for those who have an I.E.P., Which I fell under, unfortunately.) There were two other guys who would simply cause HELL every day and the teacher RARELY did anything about it. (When she did, it usually ended up with the dean and a Sheriff's Deputy at the door of the class and they would simply receive a suspension.)

Teachers sometimes have to give extra leniency with those who have IEPs.
But our teacher simply just was too lenient.

(I doubt this would make a difference, but the assholes were black...)

Well, yes and no.

But then what happens?

WRONG.

But this one class, the teacher was too nice. (But it was a free period for those who have an I.E.P., Which I fell under, unfortunately.) There were two other guys who would simply cause HELL every day and the teacher RARELY did anything about it. (When she did, it usually ended up with the dean and a Sheriff's Deputy at the door of the class and they would simply receive a suspension.)

Oh HELL...you are right about the IEP's.....For the uninitiated.....

IEP = "Individualized Educational Plan"

They are written for students that have Special Ed Status, and, as long as their behaviour can be linked to their disability, it is almost impossible to discipline them for the behaviour.

So Johnny Sociopath likes to randomly scream "BITCH!!".......sorry, but he's "Special" and as far as the Feds are concerned, local public schools can just STFU: They MUST allow him to remain in the class.....

Well, yes and no.

But then what happens?

WRONG.

They are written for students that have Special Ed Status, and, as long as their behaviour can be linked to their disability, it is almost impossible to discipline them for the behaviour.

So Johnny Sociopath likes to randomly scream "BITCH!!".......sorry, but he's "Special" and as far as the Feds are concerned, local public schools can just STFU: They MUST allow him to remain in the class.....

I had an IEP because I was simply Developmentally Delayed with ADHD.

Others had legitimate reasons as in Autism, Aspurgers, Missing school for alittle over a year because of chemotherapy to rid of cancer (my friend), or similar.

But others simply had an IEP because of poor academic performance. (it may have started out as a legitimate problem, but then they usually smoked weed and drank alcohol)

All in all, I say it's not a reason to put up with one's bad behavior. It's understandable if one cant help it, but it shouldn't be tolerated if one CAN help it.

To have an IEP is a privilege, not a pass to disrupt academic activities.

I had an IEP because I was simply Developmentally Delayed with ADHD.

Others had legitimate reasons as in Autism, Aspurgers, Missing school for alittle over a year because of chemotherapy to rid of cancer (my friend), or similar.

But others simply had an IEP because of poor academic performance. (it may have started out as a legitimate problem, but then they usually smoked weed and drank alcohol)

All in all, I say it's not a reason to put up with one's bad behavior. It's understandable if one cant help it, but it shouldn't be tolerated if one CAN help it.

To have an IEP is a privilege, not a pass to disrupt academic activities.

It COULD BE "a pass to disrupt academic activities," however, in my experience I cannot think of one case where I actually had any student use it.

Frankly, most SpEd kids like to keep a very low profile; Their peers have the capacity to be ruthlessly unkind.

Calling parents is for the most part useless. The undisciplined children are likely just as undisciplined at home. The parent (or parents if two exist) are going to blame the teacher for picking on their child anyway. The parent is going to demand that the administrators reprimand the teacher for bias.

Schools tolerate the undisciplined. When it gets to out of control they call the police. The child is then so out of control, that the police handcuff six year old girls for the safety of all.

Six-year-old handcuffed, sent to mental facility after tantrums at Port St. Lucie school | Treasure Coast Talk

Would anyone expect this mother to discipline this child? Why? It's obvious that's never happened before.

Calling parents is for the most part useless. The undisciplined children are likely just as undisciplined at home. The parent (or parents if two exist) are going to blame the teacher for picking on their child anyway. The parent is going to demand that the administrators reprimand the teacher for bias.

Schools tolerate the undisciplined. When it gets to out of control they call the police. The child is then so out of control, that the police handcuff six year old girls for the safety of all.

Six-year-old handcuffed, sent to mental facility after tantrums at Port St. Lucie school | Treasure Coast Talk

Would anyone expect this mother to discipline this child? Why? It's obvious that's never happened before.

A. I know calling parents works because I've done it.

B. No, nothing works perfectly.

C. Whether or not ANY discipline program is effective is somewhat beside the point: The point is that as a teacher you DOCUMENTED that you TRIED TO DO SOMETHING.

The only thing that is "Obvious" is that schools do not share documentation of their dicipline of individual students with the media, which seems to be your only source of information.

Wow. None of the teachers in our district have been trained to safely (and legally) restrain an out of control child. Therefore the rule of thumb is to NEVER touch them - even when trying to stop a fight. That responsibility has been handed over to the police. Blame the lawyers.

Wow. None of the teachers in our district have been trained to safely (and legally) restrain an out of control child. Therefore the rule of thumb is to NEVER touch them - even when trying to stop a fight. That responsibility has been handed over to the police. Blame the lawyers.

I doubt that is true.

SpEd teachers are probably trained.

But most other teachers are not, and I agree with your "rule of thumb:" If an untrained teacher restrains a student and in the process harms the student, they can be terminated.

Even if the DO NOT HARM a SpEd student, the teacher will usually be required to take a class in restraining. They may expect that for two hours every Thursday for (4) weeks AFTER SCHOOL, to attend.

Ask me how I know......

I doubt that is true.

SpEd teachers are probably trained.

But most other teachers are not, and I agree with your "rule of thumb:" If an untrained teacher restrains a student and in the process harms the student, they can be terminated.

Even if the DO NOT HARM a SpEd student, the teacher will usually be required to take a class in restraining. They may expect that for two hours every Thursday for (4) weeks AFTER SCHOOL, to attend.

Ask me how I know......

The mistake you are making is that you are taking your district, your experience and the people you know and attributing that to schools and teaches universally.

This is far from reality.

Teacher Shot in Classroom - NYTimes.com

Teacher Shot In Shoulder By Her Student - Chicago Tribune

Pffft.

We've been doing that shit here at USMB for years. Just not with teachers though.

Baiting.....REALLY?:eek:

:lol:

9109_2817_838.gif

Forum List

Back