Cyberbaiting: a New Teen Trend That Humiliates Teachers

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
There’s a brand new-phenomenon teachers should add to their “beware of” lists. It’s called cyberbaiting, and while the verb hasn’t yet made it into the dictionary, or even onto Wikipedia, the growing trend has already been documented by the Norton Online Family Report.

According to the study, cyberbaiting “is when students irritate or ‘bait’ a teacher until the teacher gets so frustrated they yell or have a breakdown. Students are ready for the teacher to crack and film the incident on cell phones so they can later post the footage online, causing further shame or trouble for the teacher or school.”

Cyberbaiting: a New Teen Trend That Humiliates Teachers | TakePart - News, Culture, Videos and Photos That Make the World Better

I have never been provoked enough to lose my cool, but that is simply because we have a supportive discipline policy, where disruptive students can be kicked out of class. Many schools do not have this, and all discipline issues must be handled exclusively by the teacher. You can imagine that kind of stress.

Cell phones in schools have changed the nature of teaching and learning - for the worse. What should be done, if anything?

I'm not a big fan of cell phones - especially when they are used to cause problems like this. Students have no need for cell phones in school. They are there to learn. Cell phones should be banned from all schools.

There’s a brand new-phenomenon teachers should add to their “beware of” lists. It’s called cyberbaiting, and while the verb hasn’t yet made it into the dictionary, or even onto Wikipedia, the growing trend has already been documented by the Norton Online Family Report.

According to the study, cyberbaiting “is when students irritate or ‘bait’ a teacher until the teacher gets so frustrated they yell or have a breakdown. Students are ready for the teacher to crack and film the incident on cell phones so they can later post the footage online, causing further shame or trouble for the teacher or school.”

Cyberbaiting: a New Teen Trend That Humiliates Teachers | TakePart - News, Culture, Videos and Photos That Make the World Better

I have never been provoked enough to lose my cool, but that is simply because we have a supportive discipline policy, where disruptive students can be kicked out of class. Many schools do not have this, and all discipline issues must be handled exclusively by the teacher. You can imagine that kind of stress.

Cell phones in schools have changed the nature of teaching and learning - for the worse. What should be done, if anything?

Treat schools like airliners. All cellphones must be shut off because they tend to disrupt class. Or treat it like they used to treat calculators during math tests. If you're caught with a cell phone you get suspended.

i would simply advocate putting cameras in all classrooms....banning cellphones and computers and going back to .....reading writing and arithmetic...oddly enough given the basic skills one can figure out how to use a computer....i would not allow computers into a class room till the last two years of school.....you think the little mals arent learning off xboxes....

i would put cameras in classrooms due to the abuse that is coming out done by teachers....its like any profession....you got stellar people then people who belong in the nut house....all teaching

I don't know where that picture was posed (given someone had to be standing in the back of the "classroom" to photograph it... but i know here cell phones aren't allowed to be taken out in school... they get confiscated automatically and the parents have to come get them.

i would, however, say TSA agents should watch out for people who do that.

I don't think it's a new trend. We used to try to get the teacher's riled up until they cried. The difference is, they now have cameras and can post it.

Kids don't change all that much, electronics change everyday tho.

Bones - videotaping students is not permitted here in NJ so cameras in the classroom are not an option. And frankly, being filmed 7 hours a day would have a chilling effect on my "quirky" personality and teaching style.

Jillian - we had a similar policy that was never enforced. Consequently, the administration gave up. Students are permitted to use their phones in all areas of the school except in academic classes where the teachers forbid it. I am one of the few that do - hence my nickname - "the cell phone Nazi". Cheating is rampant but no one seems to care. Except me.

I don't think it's a new trend. We used to try to get the teacher's riled up until they cried. The difference is, they now have cameras and can post it.

I never tried to rile up a teacher.

I didn't want to have to tell my parents why I got kicked out of school.

My mom should have been put in charge of the CIA because she could get a confession out of anyone.

If a teacher cannot throw a disruptive kid out of class?

Then seriously, what do you expect?

I have absolutely no sympathy for disruptive kids in class.

Another good reason I no longer teach.

I never tried to rile up a teacher.

I didn't want to have to tell my parents why I got kicked out of school.

My mom should have been put in charge of the CIA because she could get a confession out of anyone.

Neither did I. Sarah must be much younger than us. :lol:

I've had students try to get kicked out of class and I usually oblige. But for the most part, my disruptive students try to rile up other students; not the teacher. That's what concerns me about the anti-bullying law. A lot of kids who get "bullied" like to annoy the shit out of other kids just to see them get in trouble. But that's another discussion.

I was a proponent of jamming devices, but someone said that they don't block video, so that would only solve half the problem.

Editec - I consider myself very fortunate to be able to send kids out. Apparently that's not the norm in many schools today.

Editec - I consider myself very fortunate to be able to send kids out. Apparently that's not the norm in many schools today.
Baloney.

I have a lot of sympathy for teachers but they are the adults in this situation. If they can't handle this they shouldn't be teaching.

Everyone has a breaking point ravi. It's best to remove the disruption rather than get angry. Teachers have a responsibility to the other kids in that class that want to learn. Believe it or not, there are some that don't. :(

If we brought back the paddle this wouldn't happen.

Children are childen. Once they get the idea that they can bait someone, it doesn't stop with teachers. One day they try it with the wrong person, and then it's a happy day.

Everyone has a breaking point ravi. It's best to remove the disruption rather than get angry. Teachers have a responsibility to the other kids in that class that want to learn. Believe it or not, there are some that don't. :(
Bingo. That's exactly what the teacher can and should do.

There is no school in existence that doesn't allow the removal of a disruptive child from class.

Forum List

Back