Cutting the Defense budget BUT...

Discussion in 'Military' started by RetiredGySgt, Feb 25, 2009.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,920
  2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Perhaps he's planning on cutting off Halliburton's funding?

3. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,003
    Obama can do anything. You know like increase government entitlements and spending and give tax cuts to 95% of all Americans and cut the deficit in half at the same time.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    That's encouraging to read.

I had my doubts until you explained it all to me.

5. LiveUninhibited

LiveUninhibited Caffeine Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    In most sectors wages/benefits are the biggest expense. But when you’re talking about military hardware that can cost millions or even billions per unit, I can see how it might be possible. Building one fewer stealth bomber would free up a lot of money for other uses (2.1 billion per craft, including development).

B-2 Spirit - United States Nuclear Forces

America currently spends almost as much on its military as the rest of the world combined. So we can probably afford to cut some spending there. But it should be done with care as much of that money does provide jobs, even if the sheer quantity of funds isn't necessary for security.

List of countries by military expenditures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Though I must admit I’d rather Obama do one thing for our country really well than to try to do everything. I'd be truly amazed if he could do everything he says he intends to.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  6. Gunnen4u

Gunnen4u Just Got Back!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Given that we love to guarantee the World's relative peace, our supposed expenditure's make sense.

Frankly, the more hardware the better. A military isn't just a man out there, it's his weapons and equipment as well. Tell me, will MRAPs keep coming out (just an example) at the expense of other parts of our fighting capability?

I think we should cut social programs before we cut anything military. The latter at least achieves real results.

7. LiveUninhibited

LiveUninhibited Caffeine Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    MRAPs would be an example of where we shouldn't cut corners as that would counter where most of our casualties are. When you're fighting insurgencies, however, another stealth bomber isn't going to be a huge asset. More hardware isn't always necessary, particularly for our present needs.

As far as deterrence goes, our nuclear arsenal alone is enough for any sane enemy. And no arsenal will deter an insane one. I'd be fine with us spending slightly more than the EU I suppose, but that's less than half of our current rate. Our military is great, but there's always diminishing returns and you can't have a part of the government get a blank check for anything.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  8. Gunnen4u

Gunnen4u Just Got Back!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    While we are fighting insurgencies, that is no reason to ignore conventional strike capabilities.

I think we can cut expeditures in other gov't programs first....perhaps leaving Europe to bankroll their own security would be a good idea. You might see their military spending go up, and their social programs go down, and they might do better for it.