Cutting onions-HELP

Joz

Mar 9, 2004
First of all, I LOVE onions. My mother tells the story of how I use to crawl thru grandpa's garden with an onion in each hand and a bite out of eat onion!

BUT, to peel an onion sends me into fits. I can barely get thru half an onion without tears streaming down my face and the burn is insatiable. I look like someone poked me in both eyes.
I've tried cutting them wearing glasses. I've tried breathing thru a mask. Is there a solution?

Joz said:
First of all, I LOVE onions. My mother tells the story of how I use to crawl thru grandpa's garden with an onion in each hand and a bite out of eat onion!

BUT, to peel an onion sends me into fits. I can barely get thru half an onion without tears streaming down my face and the burn is insatiable. I look like someone poked me in both eyes.
I've tried cutting them wearing glasses. I've tried breathing thru a mask. Is there a solution?
The best thing I ever found that works, is....Burning a candle just beside the cutting board, just a regular ole candle...works great!

Mr. P said:
The best thing I ever found that works, is....Burning a candle just beside the cutting board, just a regular ole candle...works great!

Thank you. I will definately give it a try next onion I wrestle. Sure wish I'd have known that earlier today! :cry: :cry: :cry:

It also helps if your onions are cold...

(Course, what do I know - P thinks that since I don't cry when cutting onions, I'm just an insensitive brute) :D

Joz said:

I keep mine stored in the crisper, in the fridge. No more tears!

Joz said:

Chew gum while cutting the onion, it works well.

no1tovote4 said:
Chew gum while cutting the onion, it works well.

If yo chew gum while you're cooking, how do you taste what you're making??

Better to just store the onions in the fridge. No tears. Guaranteed.

Joz, also heard that if they really do get to you, put the onion in a bowl of water and cut them up in the water, no tears.

Forum List

Back