Cut the Defense Budget? Over My Cold, Dead Gavel

Cut the Defense Budget? Over My Cold, Dead Gavel | Danger Room | Wired.com

In his first post-election speech, Rep. Buck McKeon, the California Republican who’s about to become the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, warned that cutting defense spending was a “red line for me and should be a red line for all Americans.” Speaking to the conservative Foreign Policy Institute in Washington, McKeon argued that the Pentagon’s projected one percent real growth in the defense budget over the next five years “is a net cut for investment and procurement accounts.”

“A defense budget in decline portends an America in decline,” McKeon said, arguing that cuts will have geopolitical consequences, “undermin[ing] our ability to project power, strengthen our adversaries and weaken our alliances.”

During a post-speech press conference, McKeon didn’t sound like he was out to cut any specific programs. He reminded reporters that he supports the funding of a second engine for the F-35, something both Obama and Gates consider unnecessary. With all the talk of cuts, he said, “pretty soon, my concern is that we end up back with a bow and arrow.”

Well this should not come as any surprise. I don't think any of us actually expected the GOP to go ahead and cut the military budget that is filled with more waste than a landfill.

I agree, tons of waste, the politicians can get away with a lot on a military base, its outside the law, its the military.

Air Force base in Nevada goes solar with 14-megawatt array
by Martin LaMonica
Font size
Print
5 comments

Correction: Spokespeople from SunPower and MMA Renewables said the size of the installation at Nellis Air Force base has been revised to 14.2 megawatts, not 15 megawatts as the Air Force and those companies originally said.
Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada, the land of lots of sun and plenty of land, will be home to a 70,000 solar-panel installation which, at 14 megawatts, will be the largest in North America.
The U.S. Air Force on Tuesday said Nellis and SunPower have finished the first phase of the project
f

Nellis_base_solar_540x405.jpg

So why didn't loyal Democrats call for cutting the Defense Budget when they had all the power? Why did they wait till the Republicans regained power to demand this? I definitely call Bull Shit on this one.

i se no reason to have foreign military bases funded by us tax dollars.....if the host country wants a base they can pay for it...otherwise bye bye....

Don't cut defense and you'll beat the dems in showing how fast you can lose power.

i se no reason to have foreign military bases funded by us tax dollars.....if the host country wants a base they can pay for it...otherwise bye bye....

We are being used. There's shit we just don't need any more.

So why didn't loyal Democrats call for cutting the Defense Budget when they had all the power? Why did they wait till the Republicans regained power to demand this? I definitely call Bull Shit on this one.

The only thing the Dems are good at is criticizing. :lol:

The only thing the Dems are good at is criticizing. :lol:

And the 6 years the R's were in total control? :eusa_whistle:

Face it, both sides could care less.

New Topics

Forum List

Back