Curt Schilling retires

If we are still here in 5 years, you're on.

Probably more like 7 or 8. I don't think he'll get in on the first ballot. But I'd wager a king's ransom that he does get in. Especially because he pitched allegedly juice-free in the steroid era.
The bloody ankle could work against him, if you suspect one guy in this era, you suspect them all.

If he ever gets in it won't be from teh sportswriters, it would have to be the veteran's comittee.

The bloody sock only adds to his post season mystique. Go ahead and list for me pitcher's with a more impressive post season resume than Schilling.

And I'd bet be willing to match Mani's HOF bet that Schilling is/was steroid free.

Blyleven didn't reach 300 wins and he started 250 MORE games than Schilling.

He had 600 more Ks than Schilling in 1600 more innings.

Blyleven never finished higher than 3rd in the Cy Young voting. Schilling finished 2nd three times in four years and look who he lost to: Johnson, a juiced Clemens, and Johan Santana.

Schilling's winning percentage is considerably higher than Blyleven's.

I can go on ...
And he played for bad teams, Schilling played for good ones, that is a factor.

If you say Schilling is better, i agree, but HoF?

Nope, no way.

Blyleven didn't reach 300 wins and he started 250 MORE games than Schilling.

He had 600 more Ks than Schilling in 1600 more innings.

Blyleven never finished higher than 3rd in the Cy Young voting. Schilling finished 2nd three times in four years and look who he lost to: Johnson, a juiced Clemens, and Johan Santana.

Schilling's winning percentage is considerably higher than Blyleven's.

I can go on ...
And he played for bad teams, Schilling played for good ones, that is a factor.

If you say Schilling is better, i agree, but HoF?

Nope, no way.

Fair 'nuff. I think in this case time will prove me right :)

The bloody sock only adds to his post season mystique. Go ahead and list for me pitcher's with a more impressive post season resume than Schilling.

And I'd bet be willing to match Mani's HOF bet that Schilling is/was steroid free.
Schilling is one of the guys I heavily suspect for Roids.

Skinny little Stros reliever..

curtschilling1.jpg

Skinny Phillies starter...

images

Suddenly Bulked up D backs dominator..

curt-schilling-action.jpg

Line backer sized Sox ace...

mlb_u_schilling2_sq_300.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah ... he got fat and played WoW ...
Believe it or not, i first heard of him because he wrote an article about a war game called squad leader in 91, which i used to play years ago.

He was just a kid relief pitcher but it gave that game the most exposure it ever had, that a 'big leaguer' played it.

I do remember how pissed I was NY passed on him and let him be traded to the D Backs, one of the worst moves of the 1990s for NY, the other was not making an offer on randy Johnson who went to the stros and later the D backs from seattle.

Yeah ... he got fat and played WoW ...
Believe it or not, i first heard of him because he wrote an article about a war game called squad leader in 91, which i used to play years ago.

He was just a kid relief pitcher but it gave that game the most exposure it ever had, that a 'big leaguer' played it.

I do remember how pissed I was NY passed on him and let him be traded to the D Backs, one of the worst moves of the 1990s for NY, the other was not making an offer on randy Johnson who went to the stros and later the D backs from seattle.

I got no love for NY teams. What hurts them makes us stronger. That said, Schill was originally drafted by my Red Sox and was yet another superstar the Sox let go before realizing his potential. Man, I'm glad Theo arrived (though Douquette deserves some credit).

As far as Schilling's weight goes, I know a lot of guys that were skinny in their 20's that were 3 sizes bigger by their mid-30's. And I... errr I mean they, never took steroids. :D

I got no love for NY teams. What hurts them makes us stronger. That said, Schill was originally drafted by my Red Sox and was yet another superstar the Sox let go before realizing his potential. Man, I'm glad Theo arrived (though Douquette deserves some credit).
Therte is nothing wrong with rooting for your own team.

Losing star kids was always the way in NY during the steinbrenner era, although there was lots of winning, watching guys like fred McGriff strife us hurt.

No way to the HoF for a pitcher with only 216 wins.

He was good, but he didn't dominate his era and never won a Cy Young.

i'd say he's on the cusp. his post season performance and 3000Ks count for something, and the dominant pitcher of his era (Clemens) was a juicer.

if i had a vote, i'd think long and hard and vote for him, given the above.
Clemens was not the only guy ahead of him in his era, you had Johnson & Pedro in the AL and guys like Maddux in the NL.

They won't open the doors for Blyleven with 300 wins and 3700 Ks, no way is Schilling getting in.

well it's definitely not a slam dunk by any stretch. damn, i love baseball. :)

Forum List

Back