Cursin' 'n cussin' on USMB...

What are your thoughts on cursin' 'n cussin'?

• Total voters
In my opinion, the caliber of debate is diminished, when people who are supposed to be adults use vulgar made up words towards one another.

Ranting and raving in vulgarities, as if I were some juvenile kid, is not my idea of fun.

In my opinion, the caliber of debate is diminished, when people who are supposed to be adults use vulgar made up words towards one another.

Ranting and raving in vulgarities, as if I were some juvenile kid, is not my idea of fun.

List five that can't be found in the dictionary.

Vulgar words in a debate do diminish the caliber of the debate.

But vulgar words in other non-debate settings (like in a thread discussing poop), the discussion is enhanced.

List five that can't be found in the dictionary.

I am not going to waste my time typing out the many childish vulgar made up words I have seen on here. Many of them are F bomb based. It shows ignorance and immaturity, in my opinion. It doesn't make one's argument any stronger. In fact, it goes against the rules of debate.

But vulgar words in other non-debate settings (like in a thread discussing poop), the discussion is enhanced.
I couldn't agree more.

Sometimes a situation calls for adult language, but not in any debate.

And, I agree that the use of made up words and names is childish - like children in school. 'Libtard', 'repug', some version of someone's name, etc. - does nothing for me. Content cuts much harder than any 'clever' term.

I couldn't agree more.

And, I agree that the use of made up words and names is childish - like children in school. 'Libtard', 'repug', some version of someone's name, etc. - does nothing for me. Content cuts much harder than any 'clever' term.

Well excuse the hell outta me, but the thread wasn't about that.

The regulations about which were previously posted as a reminder. Either of you have an opinion on that?

I couldn't agree more.

Well excuse the hell outta me, but the thread wasn't about that.

The regulations about which were previously posted as a reminder. Either of you have an opinion on that?
Woah. Calm down. I answered. Sometimes cursing is OK to me, and sometimes it is not OK with me; and I outlined those distinctions.

Other than at work, out with the boys or on message boards, I don't swear.I never swear in front of women or children and have been in a fight or two over the years when I have remonstrated with morons that were.

Funny thing, in the real world I cuss up a storm. On message boards, though I have been known to throw out a swear word or two, I generally refrain from doing so in an effort to keep things civil.

Other than at work, out with the boys or on message boards, I don't swear.I never swear in front of women or children and have been in a fight or two over the years when I have remonstrated with morons that were.

There does appear to be an inordinate number of children about at times, doesn't there? :cool:

Forum List

Back