Cursed case and a half processor

Bleipriester

Freedom!
Nov 14, 2012
Doucheland
I took the opportunity to replace my old Q6600 with an AMD FX system. It started when I firstly completed the new computer with the old case and power supply (550W). Nothing. Not even the fans. Just nothing. When I tried the system with a neighbor´s power supply, it started. Then I used my own power supply but connected the board without mounting it and it started. I made the computer ready again, started - and nothing. Any idea? Everything was mounted properly again and the old board was fine in the case - yet nothing.
Now it looks like this:
xerp4pii.jpg

After "solving" that problem, I just ran into another: The computer would turn off when stressed. When gaming and after only seconds of prime95 it would turn off. I didn´t think it was the power supply because 550W should be enough for the FX 8350 in combination with a frugal 750Ti and even for more. But I did some research and figured out that it has a weak 12V power supply that is insufficient for the thirsty processor. I "solved" the problem by disabling 4 out of the 8 cores and everything runs fine. I did half an hour of prime95 and everything´s fine.

I took the opportunity to replace my old Q6600 with an AMD FX system. It started when I firstly completed the new computer with the old case and power supply (550W). Nothing. Not even the fans. Just nothing. When I tried the system with a neighbor´s power supply, it started. Then I used my own power supply but connected the board without mounting it and it started. I made the computer ready again, started - and nothing. Any idea? Everything was mounted properly again and the old board was fine in the case - yet nothing.
Now it looks like this:
xerp4pii.jpg

After "solving" that problem, I just ran into another: The computer would turn off when stressed. When gaming and after only seconds of prime95 it would turn off. I didn´t think it was the power supply because 550W should be enough for the FX 8350 in combination with a frugal 750Ti and even for more. But I did some research and figured out that it has a weak 12V power supply that is insufficient for the thirsty processor. I "solved" the problem by disabling 4 out of the 8 cores and everything runs fine. I did half an hour of prime95 and everything´s fine.
Yup, looks like the mobo is not designed for an Octa core. What are the mobo specs?

Now it looks like this:
xerp4pii.jpg

Yup, looks like the mobo is not designed for an Octa core. What are the mobo specs?
It is a Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 and it can perfectly handle the FX 8350 but the power supply can´t.

I have managed to get the stuff into my old case now. As not so common solution I put the antistatic cover behind the mainboard. Even with only 4 cores enabled, the increase in performance is great. Also for storage. Now, I can copy files from the large HDD to the SSD with up to 200 Mb/s (seen in the process).

a97vg8sm.jpg

550W is near the basement for a power supply for a current pc. I wouldn't build one with less than 800W. But as noted you have to match up all the components by required power and compatibility.

550W is near the basement for a power supply for a current pc. I wouldn't build one with less than 800W. But as noted you have to match up all the components by required power and compatibility.
Not even fully loaded would my system come somewhere near 550W. Other factors like the strength of the 12 V line which is dedicated to the CPU matter. It is the black-yellow connection on the left side of the board.

Not even fully loaded would my system come somewhere near 550W. Other factors like the strength of the 12 V line which is dedicated to the CPU matter. It is the black-yellow connection on the left side of the board.

The last pc I built for someone that was close to 600W recommended was 4+ years ago. You want overkill not 'nearly just enough'. If 550W is enough go with it. Again I wouldn't build one now with less than 800W as that takes into consideration the person will have the pc for at least 2-4 years and will likely upgrade some components.

Now it looks like this:
xerp4pii.jpg

It is a Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 and it can perfectly handle the FX 8350 but the power supply can´t.

I have managed to get the stuff into my old case now. As not so common solution I put the antistatic cover behind the mainboard. Even with only 4 cores enabled, the increase in performance is great. Also for storage. Now, I can copy files from the large HDD to the SSD with up to 200 Mb/s (seen in the process).

a97vg8sm.jpg
Now it looks like this:
xerp4pii.jpg

a97vg8sm.jpg
The term Octa Core is kinda misleading and is more a marketing term, what they really consist of are dual quad cores that can work independently of each other. Yes, I misread your initial post, the power supply is the problem, you need a 600 Watt minimum to run an octa core, 800 Watt + is best.

Why would you buy an FX system now?

Budget? You're going to need a quality 7-900w power supply before anything else.

What model is your current power supply?

The last pc I built for someone that was close to 600W recommended was 4+ years ago. You want overkill not 'nearly just enough'. If 550W is enough go with it. Again I wouldn't build one now with less than 800W as that takes into consideration the person will have the pc for at least 2-4 years and will likely upgrade some components.
If you plan to bult a high-end Crossfire or SLI system, then 800 would be good.

Now it looks like this:
xerp4pii.jpg

a97vg8sm.jpg
Now it looks like this:
xerp4pii.jpg

a97vg8sm.jpg
The term Octa Core is kinda misleading and is more a marketing term, what they really consist of are dual quad cores that can work independently of each other. Yes, I misread your initial post, the power supply is the problem, you need a 600 Watt minimum to run an octa core, 800 Watt + is best.
Yeah, the 8 core claim is disputed but there are some more sources two cores share. It´s nevertheless 8 cores.

Budget? You're going to need a quality 7-900w power supply before anything else.

It is privately purchased and I pay in rates. The next thing will be a new power supply and case, so I can rebuilt my old PC with another graphics card that I already have. But that isn´t urgent, the other 4 cores matter not in most games. The current power supply is an old ARLT MPT 5512P that came with the Q6600.

Now it looks like this:
xerp4pii.jpg

a97vg8sm.jpg
Now it looks like this:
xerp4pii.jpg

a97vg8sm.jpg
Yeah, the 8 core claim is disputed but there are some more sources two cores share. It´s nevertheless 8 cores.
I wasn't disparaging the 8 core simply stating how it's configured, how it works and yes it's still 8 cores.

Now it looks like this:
xerp4pii.jpg

a97vg8sm.jpg
Now it looks like this:
xerp4pii.jpg

a97vg8sm.jpg
I wasn't disparaging the 8 core simply stating how it's configured, how it works and yes it's still 8 cores.
Not the most efficient CPU series, though. The new Ryzen have a way batter IPC value.

It is privately purchased and I pay in rates. The next thing will be a new power supply and case, so I can rebuilt my old PC with another graphics card that I already have. But that isn´t urgent, the other 4 cores matter not in most games. The current power supply is an old ARLT MPT 5512P that came with the Q6600.

Mmk.

Not to be an alarmist or anything, but you only have 228w available for your CPU or GPU at any given time.

That's a split-rail system.

Furthermore if you bought it when q6600s were new, power supplies degrade with use, so it may not even be

pushing as much as calculated. You could be courting fire/main capacitor failure.

I'm thinking you could have gotten a mid-tier Ryzen combo for what you paid for an FX setup.

Mmk.

Not to be an alarmist or anything, but you only have 228w available for your CPU or GPU at any given time.

That's a split-rail system.

Furthermore if you bought it when q6600s were new, power supplies degrade with use, so it may not even be

pushing as much as calculated. You could be courting fire/main capacitor failure.

I'm thinking you could have gotten a mid-tier Ryzen combo for what you paid for an FX setup.
Possible. But with the FX cut to 4 cores, its power consumption is in no case more than 80. Plus the 750Ti that physically cannot consume more than 75 (it´s 60 rather), the maximum power consumption of both is now 155 watts.

Looked at the bench marks for the i7 7700k vs Ryzen 7 1800X.
The Ryzen is just over a hundred dollars more than the i7 but the i7 apparently still has the edge on the Ryzen with an average bench of 99.9% to Ryzen's 91.9%.

I tried Win 10 but it is not my favorite. So I decided to install Windows 8.1, instead. A secure erase of the SSD is a good idea before installing. But my Parted Magic won´t boot with my new board. Finally, it would boot using "failsave mode" but it might require several attempts to boot. Good thing I thought but when I tried to start the work, I realized that neither mouse nor keyboard works. Great! I restarted with a PS/2 mouse and that one worked. A secure erase requires to "unfreeze" the SSD which in turn requires to put the system to sleep mode and wake it up afterwards. Of course, it would not turn into sleep mode! I figured out there is an alternate method which requires to unplug the SSD´s power cable while running, wait 30 secs and plug it again and wait 30 sec. That finally worked. Heck, that´s incredible!

I tried Win 10 but it is not my favorite. So I decided to install Windows 8.1, instead. A secure erase of the SSD is a good idea before installing. But my Parted Magic won´t boot with my new board. Finally, it would boot using "failsave mode" but it might require several attempts to boot. Good thing I thought but when I tried to start the work, I realized that neither mouse nor keyboard works. Great! I restarted with a PS/2 mouse and that one worked. A secure erase requires to "unfreeze" the SSD which in turn requires to put the system to sleep mode and wake it up afterwards. Of course, it would not turn into sleep mode! I figured out there is an alternate method which requires to unplug the SSD´s power cable while running, wait 30 secs and plug it again and wait 30 sec. That finally worked. Heck, that´s incredible!
Sounds like you're trying to create Frankencomputer...........

Forum List

Back