Curry Ingredient May Prevent Cancer

USViking

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2005
Greensboro, NC USA
I like curry anyway although I have not had it for years.

I believe I will be buying some on my next trip from the store.

See this news link:

http://www.physorg.com/news5098.html

(Quotes from the link):

"A study published in the upcoming issue of Cancer magazine related that curcumin, a chemical pigment in turmeric (a primary ingredient of Curry-USV), helped stop the spread of breast cancer tumor cells to the lungs of mice."

"Earlier studies suggest that people who eat diets rich in turmeric have lower rates of breast cancer, prostate cancer, lung cancer and colon cancer"

"Many cancers are 10 times rarer on the Indian subcontinent than in the West."

I have also read that some cancer rates are much lower in southern climates than in northern ones, and some researchers attribute this to Vitamin D- people in Maine recieve substantially less exposure to the sun than people in Florida.

I have been trying to remember to take a Vitamin D tablet every day I am not in the sun for at least 10 min.

Hey, this is great news! My wife makes curry all the time. Just had some for dinner Sunday night and lunch yesterday!!

Joz said:
I argued with a pastor's wife that we have a spice Curry as she made the dish Curry. Her hubby was from Sri Lanka and she was from....I forget. I'm not real fond of either. :rolleyes:
I'm confused... you can't have a dish of curry without using the curry spice to make it....

Joz said:
I had stated that hubby's grandmother made good curry chicken (meat-eating days) but sometimes she made it too strong & I didn't like it. And greenish looking chicken wasn't appealling either. She told me she didn't understand; that Curry was a dish she made. I tried to explain that here in America we have a 'curry' spice. I don't know. Apparently she uses something else. :dunno:

depends on how the word is used---can be a spice or a style the dish was made---some folks just call gravy a curry.
google it--It's interesting

freeandfun1 said:
I'm confused... you can't have a dish of curry without using the curry spice to make it....
There is a dish named Curry, but I don't know whats in it. There are also some countries that use Curry spice on everything they eat. You can smell them 10 feet away. They bath and are as clean as anyone, but you can smell the Curry in their pores as you can smoke on smokers.

Merlin said:
There is a dish named Curry, but I don't know whats in it. There are also some countries that use Curry spice on everything they eat. You can smell them 10 feet away. They bath and are as clean as anyone, but you can smell the Curry in their pores as you can smoke on smokers.
Believe me, I am very familiar with the smell issue...

When I was traveling a lot more than I do now, I remeber how the Singapore Airlines flight from Seoul to San Fran originated in New Dehli... when I would see one of those big Indian women that looked like she hadn't bathed in a month, I would close my eyes and pray, "please God, don't let her sit next to me... please God, don't let her sit next to me...." and I wouldn't open my eyes until I was sure she moved past me! :laugh:

My wife makes curry rice all the time using Curry spice. She also makes curry chicken, curry beef, curry shrimp, etc. They all have a gravy like base and they all use curry. Now some people buy curry sauce pre-packaged at the store so maybe they just don't realize that it is made with curry spice....

Merlin said:
There is a dish named Curry, but I don't know whats in it.
Curry is made using curry powder which is made from the curry spice (which is turmeric).

Forum List

Back