Current Presidential Approval Ratings

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jillian, Jan 8, 2009.

1. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    It must so be the pits to be a deadender now..... on the other hand, maybe in 30 years, people will forget how awful Baby Bush was.

Current Presidential Approval Ratings

Ex-presidents Carter, Bush get high marks in poll | ABS-CBN News Online Beta

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Hindsight is 20/20. When the truth starts coming out (sometimes decades or even centuries later) and the heated rhetoric has faded, folks tend to view past actions and circumstance with a more objective eye.

3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,428
    I agree that's part of the equation. But what I suspect is also true is that the ex-presidents sometimes are better ex-presidents than they ever were as president. For example, Jimmy Carter and Habitat for Humanity (as long as he keeps his mouth shut on the middle east, he's fine); Bill Clinton and Daddy Bush on Tsunami relief, etc.; Bill Clinton with his foundation. If they rise above politics and do great humanitarian things, then I think people respond.

The question is, in baby bush's case, does he have enough depth of character to actually do good once he leaves office. My money is on Laura doing far more than he does. Of course, I could be wrong.

4. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    We won't have any idea how Bush's policies in the Middle East will play out over time. People like to think of Bush as some lying fool who was in way over his head. What people don't understand is that Bush's goals from the beginning were long term. He has always felt that spreading democracy is the way to bring long term peace to the world.

Now, everything he has done could turn out to be a useless effort, making Iraq the debacle that it currently looks like. However, if Iraq does come out of this as a long term workable democracy, not necessarily the way we view democracy, but a workable democracy that gradually increases everyone's rights, that could well spill over into Iran and other Muslim countries over time. The younger generation of Iranians are already fed up with the theocratic dictators who run that country. It's only a matter of time before they move to a more democratic and transparent form of government. Success in Iraq could lead to this taking place sooner rather than later.

I'm not saying that this will happen, but if it does, the long term legacy of GW Bush will be much different than many now think.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    Once again, Obama hasnt been in office a day. He cant have a job approval rating. He hasnt done anything. He wont do anything until January 20th. So please dont try to feed me nonsense that Obama has a 82% job approval rating when he hasnt even started work.

6. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    As I recall, GW had a 92% approval rating at one point.

7. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251
    We need no further proof Bush was a failure.

Liberal in conservatives cloths Fails as president.

Shocker.

8. KMAN

KMAN Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +269

How true... With the press and media the way it is in this country is it's amazing Bush's approval rating is THAT high... If the media continues their liberal butt kisssing Republicans will never get another favorable rating....ever.

It's funny that it's never talked about how well the economy was doing the first 7 years of his Presidency...

9. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    Then it wasn't the 'truth,' or are memories shortlived, does truth change. I am wondering what 'truth' can be looked back on centuries from now. Maybe some day dictators won't look so bad, you think?

10. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,298
    Still in denial, maybe psychotherapy would help? Bush completed the conservatism Reagan started and hopefully buried it.

He's The Worst Ever - washingtonpost.com