Current lies about Ebola.

Well, the data is out there...choose your own source...I'm interested.
They're *pretty sure* it isn't airborne.....yet.....viruses can mutate, right?

Yes, absolutely. Viruses can and do mutate.

Could Ebola Become Airborne

Osterholm did recall, however, a 2012 Canadian study in which pigs infected with the Ebola virus spread the disease to monkeys housed in cages in the same area, but did not have direct contact with the pigs. The monkeys showed signs of respiratory infection with the virus. This study, Osterholm wrote, "proved that Ebola Zaire, the same virus that is causing the West Africa outbreak, could be transmitted by the respiratory route from pigs to monkeys."

But contrary to Osterholm's statement, Gatherer said the study was "unable to conclusively prove that the transmission was airborne." The study researchers themselves wrote in their paper that, while the animal facility was being cleaned, droplets containing the Ebola virus could have been splashed into the monkey cages, and the monkeys may have become infected by touching the dried droplets.

"Could have".."might have"..."possible"..."could be"...."may have".... " unable to conclusively prove"...lots of wiggle room there...

ebola cannot become airborne in its current form. it can mutate like anything else, but by the same token, you can morph into a guinea pig.

Not entirely true. The faster an organism replicates, and the simpler the organism is, the more likely it is to morph into something else. This is why you have to get a new flu shot each year. But as of now, Ebola is not airborne. IMO, my own opinion mind you, if it was going to happen it would have already happened in Africa.

I agree. but I was responding to someone who thinks they can get ebola by being in the same room as someone who has it... maybe.... oh no.... could be....

but it isn't, as you said.

You can assuredly get it from being in the same room as a person who has it..we already know that.

Would you ride in a car/plane/bus with someone who has ebola?

Would you invite them into your house?

I'd have to look at the study. I'd bet money you are reading it wrong. Any and every virologist anywhere will tell you that Ebola is not an airborne virus.

Osterholm did recall, however, a 2012 Canadian study in which pigs infected with the Ebola virus spread the disease to monkeys housed in cages in the same area, but did not have direct contact with the pigs. The monkeys showed signs of respiratory infection with the virus. This study, Osterholm wrote, "proved that Ebola Zaire, the same virus that is causing the West Africa outbreak, could be transmitted by the respiratory route from pigs to monkeys."

But contrary to Osterholm's statement, Gatherer said the study was "unable to conclusively prove that the transmission was airborne." The study researchers themselves wrote in their paper that, while the animal facility was being cleaned, droplets containing the Ebola virus could have been splashed into the monkey cages, and the monkeys may have become infected by touching the dried droplets.

"Could have".."might have"..."possible"..."could be"...."may have".... " unable to conclusively prove"...lots of wiggle room there...

Exactly. Which is what makes that study worthless. I'll stick to what is known about the virus.
Read it again..they said those things as excuses to account for how the disease traveled over 8 feet and infected animals in the same room that didn't have it.

In other words they don't know for sure...and neither do you.

My friend, I don't know why you want to accept doomsday scenarios instead of facts. Do you LIKE being in an unnecessary panic? Every single virologist, every single scientist who works with and studies Ebola agrees that AS OF THIS TIME, Ebola is not airborne. Why do you choose to believe that one questionable study and not the facts?

ebola cannot become airborne in its current form. it can mutate like anything else, but by the same token, you can morph into a guinea pig.

Not entirely true. The faster an organism replicates, and the simpler the organism is, the more likely it is to morph into something else. This is why you have to get a new flu shot each year. But as of now, Ebola is not airborne. IMO, my own opinion mind you, if it was going to happen it would have already happened in Africa.

I agree. but I was responding to someone who thinks they can get ebola by being in the same room as someone who has it... maybe.... oh no.... could be....

You can assuredly get it from being in the same room as a person who has it..we already know that.

No, we do not know that. What we know is that you can't.

I would not. but that's b/c i'm also a little germ-phobic and watch what people touch.

for example... what no one's talked about... the money handled by the dead guy in texas is in circulation. how long do those germs last.

so no, I wouldn't. but then again, I wouldn't be the CDC clipboard guy either (the one whose job it is to be the eyes of the people in the protective gear).

Exactly. Which is what makes that study worthless. I'll stick to what is known about the virus.
Read it again..they said those things as excuses to account for how the disease traveled over 8 feet and infected animals in the same room that didn't have it.

My friend, I don't know why you want to accept doomsday scenarios instead of facts. Do you LIKE being in an unnecessary panic? Every single virologist, every single scientist who works with and studies Ebola agrees that AS OF THIS TIME, Ebola is not airborne. Why do you choose to believe that one questionable study and not the facts?

Settle down. I was trying to have a mature discussion with you. The people in that study were epidemiologists, virologists, doctors, etc...why are you so quick to discount them?

isn't THIS interesting?

Canadian Health Agency Deletes Info on “Airborne Spread” of Ebola
October 2, 2014

The Public Health Agency of Canada has deleted information from its official website which indicated that the “airborne spread” of Ebola was strongly suspected by health authorities, amidst efforts by officials in Texas to calm concerns about the first outbreak of the virus in America.

The image below shows the original Public Health Agency of Canada website’s information page on the Ebola virus as it appeared on August 20th compared to how it appears now.

011014ebola.jpg

Under a section entitled “mode of transmission,” the original text stated that, “airborne spread among humans is strongly suspected, although it has not yet been conclusively demonstrated.”

However, the amended text states that, “airborne transmission has not been demonstrated between non-human primates.”

Both passages refer to a 2012 study by Canadian scientists which indicated that the Ebola virus could be transmitted by air between different species.

“Researchers from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and the country’s Public Health Agency have shown that pigs infected with this form of Ebola can pass the disease on to macaques without any direct contact between the species,” reported BBC News.

Now what?
You know more than they do, I suppose?

Settle down. I was trying to have a mature discussion with you. The people in that study were epidemiologists, virologists, doctors, etc...why are you so quick to discount them?

isn't THIS interesting?

October 2, 2014

The Public Health Agency of Canada has deleted information from its official website which indicated that the “airborne spread” of Ebola was strongly suspected by health authorities, amidst efforts by officials in Texas to calm concerns about the first outbreak of the virus in America.

The image below shows the original Public Health Agency of Canada website’s information page on the Ebola virus as it appeared on August 20th compared to how it appears now.

011014ebola.jpg

Under a section entitled “mode of transmission,” the original text stated that, “airborne spread among humans is strongly suspected, although it has not yet been conclusively demonstrated.”

However, the amended text states that, “airborne transmission has not been demonstrated between non-human primates.”

Both passages refer to a 2012 study by Canadian scientists which indicated that the Ebola virus could be transmitted by air between different species.

“Researchers from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and the country’s Public Health Agency have shown that pigs infected with this form of Ebola can pass the disease on to macaques without any direct contact between the species,” reported BBC News.

Now what?

Nothing in there disputes what I said. Can you point to anything that you think might disagree with me? Perhaps you can help me to understand.

isn't THIS interesting?

October 2, 2014

011014ebola.jpg

Now what?

Nothing in there disputes what I said. Can you point to anything that you think might disagree with me? Perhaps you can help me to understand.

I can explain it to you but I can't make you comprehend if you don't want to.
I'm not running in circles over the same ground again and again. It's all right there for you.
What you allege...and what virologists and epidemiologists and doctors have found in a study are two different results...dismiss it...pretend you don't understand..whatever. Surely you know more than they do...

nonsense...everyone who HAS caught it was in the same room as the person who transmitted it..You're trying to play disingenuous word games now...play by yourself..I'm done with you.

EDIT;

yet you say you wouldn't ride a bus/plane or car with someone who has ebola and you wouldn't invite them into your house...but on the other hand you claim you can't get it from someone in the same room...You're just looking for attention now...you can't have it both ways and pretend to be honest at the same time

Last edited:

isn't THIS interesting?

October 2, 2014

011014ebola.jpg

Now what?

I'm not running in circles over the same ground again and again. It's all right there for you.
What you allege...and what virologists and epidemiologists and doctors have found in a study are two different results...dismiss it...pretend you don't understand..whatever. Surely you know more than they do...

I'm not asking you to explain it, I understand it fully. What I'm asking you to do is show me where that disputes anything I'm saying. Show me the part that you think proves me wrong. Help me to understand where you are getting your opinion from. I see nothing in your article that proves that Ebola is an airborne virus.

isn't THIS interesting?

October 2, 2014

011014ebola.jpg

Now what?

I'm not asking you to explain it, I understand it fully. What I'm asking you to do is show me where that disputes anything I'm saying. Show me the part that you think proves me wrong. Help me to understand where you are getting your opinion from. I see nothing in your article that proves that Ebola is an airborne virus.

I'm not trying to prove you "wrong"...I was showing you things that didn't line up with your claims...a study by epidemiologists, virologists and doctors...you keep pretending you don't understand the plain simple english in their report...ok..fine..but I'm done trying to have an honest discussion with you. There's just no point.

nonsense...everyone who HAS caught it was in the same room as the person who transmitted it..You're trying to play disingenuous word games now...play by yourself..I'm done with you.

Everyone who has it was caring for the patient. Of course they were in the same room. The dead guy's family doesn't have it, they were in the same house and the same room, the EMTs who were in the ambulance don't have it, the people who were on the plane over here with him don't have it, the people who say with him I the waiting room if the ER don't have it, so yeah. We KNOW you can't get it just by being in the same room.

isn't THIS interesting?

October 2, 2014

011014ebola.jpg

Now what?

I'm not trying to prove you "wrong"...I was showing you things that didn't line up with your claims...a study by epidemiologists, virologists and doctors...you keep pretending you don't understand the plain simple english in their report...ok..fine..but I'm done trying to have an honest discussion with you. There's just no point.
You seem to be having trouble with your reading.

I'll repeat myself: I understand fully what is in the report. When I say "help me understand" I meant help me understand how you are getting your opinions from that article. I understand it, do you?

Good thread topic. With all sorts of information flying around and the media drumming up fear to sell newspapers and ad space, its nice to see a level-headed discussion concerning Ebola.

isn't THIS interesting?

October 2, 2014

011014ebola.jpg

Now what?

Ok whatever. I'm just trying to educate you, trying to stem the tide of lies that are out there. You refuse to learn then well I can't make you.

Good thread topic. With all sorts of information flying around and the media drumming up fear to sell newspapers and ad space, its nice to see a level-headed discussion concerning Ebola.

Perspective is what people are losing here. The media hysteria and the fact that it's an election year aren't helping matters. There are lies our there and people are contriving all kinds of scenarios based solely on those lies. People on the left and right.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk

isn't THIS interesting?

October 2, 2014

011014ebola.jpg

Now what?

the problem is that people who lack understanding, like you do, and who pass along, rumor and ignorance, create panic. it is important to understand what the means of transmission of this virus is... and it isn't you standing in the same room as someone with the illness. it is touch and exposure to bodily fluids, whether saliva, mucous, vomit or the like.

creating hysteria by perpetuation of ignorance helps no one.

Perspective is what people are losing here. The media hysteria and the fact that it's an election year aren't helping matters. There are lies our there and people are contriving all kinds of scenarios based solely on those lies. People on the left and right.

Agreed. It is a shame because with all this nonsense swirling around it is detracting from the seriousness of the event. People need to take a deep breath, do some research, and come to their own conclusions without the help of the politicians, the pundits, and the press. Thanks for being an island of reason in a sea of insanity concerning this issue.

isn't THIS interesting?

October 2, 2014

011014ebola.jpg

Now what?

the problem is that people who lack understanding, like you do, and who pass along, rumor and ignorance, create panic. it is important to understand what the means of transmission of this virus is... and it isn't you standing in the same room as someone with the illness. it is touch and exposure to bodily fluids, whether saliva, mucous, vomit or the like.

creating hysteria by perpetuation of ignorance helps no one.

Correct.

isn't THIS interesting?

October 2, 2014

011014ebola.jpg

Now what?

You seem to be having trouble with your reading.

I'll repeat myself: I understand fully what is in the report. When I say "help me understand" I meant help me understand how you are getting your opinions from that article. I understand it, do you?

play dumb again and I'm out...

This isn't about my "opinions"

I showed you a study that had evidence contrary to what you have claimed.
You dodge and evade addressing it, though.
You can read...you know what you said...you see what their study showed..there are differences...are you able to compare and contrast?

If you cannot or will not keep pace with the discussion, perhaps you should excuse yourself from it.

I appreciate any input you may have, but I'm tired of redundant, mundane repetition of the same things over and over as you refuse to address them.
I am not going to try to have an honest discussion with somebody who has no logical point to make, and doesn't stand for anything other than being contrary.

I have already posted the study for you pages ago, if you did not understand then, go back and re-read, and if you still do not understand, then you do not possess the necessary intellect to post here and should go elsewhere, good day.

Forum List

Back