Current GOP Convention rules don't allow for a new candidate to enter if brokered

Paulie

Diamond Member
May 19, 2007
http://www.gop.com/images/legal/2008_RULES_Adopted.pdf

(b) Each candidate for nomination for
President of the United States and Vice President of the
United States shall demonstrate the support of a
plurality of the delegates from each of five (5) or more
states, severally, prior to the presentation of the name of
that candidate for nomination.

It's on page 44 of the document, Rule 40(b).

These were the rules that were adopted at the 2008 convention. It says later on that these rules are temporary for the 2012 convention, which would mean a new set of permanent rules would have to be adopted by the floor and passed.

The media misleads us when they talk about Jeb Bush or Chris Christie "jumping in" if it goes to a 2nd ballot. As of right now, that's against the rules.

The question is, what rules will the delegates adopt and pass when they convene? Who knows.

These were the rules that were adopted at the 2008 convention. It says later on that these rules are temporary for the 2012 convention, which would mean a new set of permanent rules would have to be adopted by the floor and passed.

The media misleads us when they talk about Jeb Bush or Chris Christie "jumping in" if it goes to a 2nd ballot. As of right now, that's against the rules.

The question is, what rules will the delegates adopt and pass when they convene? Who knows.

Mitt Romney will be the nominee---there is no doubt. I doubt we'll see a brokered convention as I believe the MATH in delegates show that Romney will get the needed 1144 delegates.

But by some miracle it is a brokered convention--Mitt Romney would still become nominee--as there no way the GOP would disenfranchise the majority winner of delegates--without an enormous blow-back on the party.

Mitt Romney will be the nominee---there is no doubt. I doubt we'll see a brokered convention as I believe the MATH in delegates show that Romney will get the needed 1144 delegates.

But by some miracle it is a brokered convention--Mitt Romney would still become nominee--as there no way the GOP would disenfranchise the majority winner of delegates--without an enormous blow-back on the party.
Whatever, I'm just pointing out that the media is misleading a LOT of people. They're actively running with the story that a brokered convention is a possibility, and constantly talk about other candidates jumping in on a 2nd ballot when that's against the GOP's own rules.

When are people going to stop watching TV news? It's outdated bullshit and it's making people stupid.

Forum List

Back