Curious

ForeverYoung436

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2009
People who post on this Board have such a distorted vision of what Israel is, and I guess it's because they've never been there. There's no apartheid, especially in Israel proper, against Arabs. This got me to thinking. I wanna ask a question to those who have been to Arab/Muslim countries: Are they really the shitholes/cesspools that they're described to be? Do they have no human rights at all, or is this picture exaggerated?

"In my quarter century as Washington correspondent for Jewish newspapers, I frequently defended Israel against charges that it had created an apartheid system in the West Bank. But this week's election, with Benjamin Netanyahu poised to serve another term with an even more hardline coalition, means that apartheid is the path Israeli voters have chosen.....It was once possible to argue that Israel's policies were not the same as apartheid because their stated goal, however imperfectly pursued, was to end the occupation. After Netanyahu's reelection, this is no longer the case.....

In the absence of any willingness to work toward a Palestinian state in the West Bank, the future is clear: continuing occupation with no effort to find a way to end it, accelerating settlement construction and a hardening of policies toward Palestinians in the West Bank.

In other words, apartheid......

American Jewish groups, key players in the coalition against South African apartheid, will resort to verbal gymnastics to argue that it's not the same. Or they will simply use the convenient ploy of pointing out all the bad decisions made by Palestinian leaders over the years. When the inevitable violence erupts and when the Palestinians, left with no other options, renew their push to condemn Israel in international bodies, they will circle the wagons to defend a Jewish state they claim is unfairly treated by a hostile world. They will ratchet up efforts to stifle even moderate dissent in the Jewish world. They'll blame the deepening divisions in the Jewish community on J Street...."

James Besser was Washington correspondent for the New York Jewish Week and other Anglo-Jewish newspapers for 24 years before his retirement in 2011.

A righteous Jew.

Advertisement

"In my quarter century as Washington correspondent for Jewish newspapers, I frequently defended Israel against charges that it had created an apartheid system in the West Bank. But this week's election, with Benjamin Netanyahu poised to serve another term with an even more hardline coalition, means that apartheid is the path Israeli voters have chosen.....It was once possible to argue that Israel's policies were not the same as apartheid because their stated goal, however imperfectly pursued, was to end the occupation. After Netanyahu's reelection, this is no longer the case.....

In the absence of any willingness to work toward a Palestinian state in the West Bank, the future is clear: continuing occupation with no effort to find a way to end it, accelerating settlement construction and a hardening of policies toward Palestinians in the West Bank.

American Jewish groups, key players in the coalition against South African apartheid, will resort to verbal gymnastics to argue that it's not the same. Or they will simply use the convenient ploy of pointing out all the bad decisions made by Palestinian leaders over the years. When the inevitable violence erupts and when the Palestinians, left with no other options, renew their push to condemn Israel in international bodies, they will circle the wagons to defend a Jewish state they claim is unfairly treated by a hostile world. They will ratchet up efforts to stifle even moderate dissent in the Jewish world. They'll blame the deepening divisions in the Jewish community on J Street...."

James Besser was Washington correspondent for the New York Jewish Week and other Anglo-Jewish newspapers for 24 years before his retirement in 2011.

A righteous Jew.

Advertisement

When was the west bank given to Israel then freddy boy, as it can only by apartheid if it ruling power says so. And they have said it is going to be apartheid towards the Jews.

Israel is the only nation in the entire Middle East with citizens of virtually all living faiths. Muslim Palestinian citizens even have equal voting rights in the Knesset. Just curious, how many Christian & Jewish citizens are there in Arab countries & do they also have equal voting rights in their governments?

A righteous Jew.

Advertisement

You mean American Jews such as Adelson that is holding the strings of American politics and AIPAC? Wait, nice try there - but I won't let you derail this thread, we are talking about having an actual footstep in Israel versus Arab Muslim states.

People who post on this Board have such a distorted vision of what Israel is, and I guess it's because they've never been there. There's no apartheid, especially in Israel proper, against Arabs. This got me to thinking. I wanna ask a question to those who have been to Arab/Muslim countries: Are they really the shitholes/cesspools that they're described to be? Do they have no human rights at all, or is this picture exaggerated?

Someone who has been there seems to disagree with you.

Sandy Tolan The Evil That Dare Not Speak Its Name Israel s Apartheid - Truthdig

A righteous Jew.

Advertisement

You mean American Jews such as Adelson that is holding the strings of American politics and AIPAC? Wait, nice try there - but I won't let you derail this thread, we are talking about having an actual footstep in Israel versus Arab Muslim states.

It's not a "try" at all. It's a hat trick.

I wrote "Israel proper". Anyway, I meant my question--it was not written sarcastically. I really would like to know the real conditions in Arab lands.

I've been to several Muslim countries, from Agadir in Morocco to Istanbul in Turkey and found they're no more shitholes/cesspools than some cities I've visited in the UK and Europe. They have their well-to-do and poor areas like our cities do. When I was in Egypt last, there was a beggar problem, but they had "tourist police" who would soon show up if the beggars became to bothersome but most would take the hint if you just said, "La, imshi" and waved them away. I've since encountered more and more beggars in London and other cities at home, so begging seems to be making a big comeback in the "prosperous West" or at least the U.K. The Muslim people I've encountered in my travels have been universally polite and well mannered; I've lost count of the times I've had to decline the offered seat and mint tea when I've paused outside someone's shop (the trick is to keep moving, unless you really want to buy something). haggling is universal; I suspect you lose a lot of respect if you accept the first price the locals charge, and yes, I've even encountered the cliche Arab willing to part with livestock in exchange for my wife, in Tunisia!

One thing I've learned on my travels is that people are the same all over the world, regardless of their religions; there are good and bad people everywhere but most just want a quiet and happy life.

ForeverYoung436, et al,

They all vary in their presentation.

(COMMENT)

Places like Afghanistan, Iraq, and Yemen are dumps. They are places that have trash in the the streets; with a lot of cities that empty toilet bowls in the street. In the morning in Sanaa (Capital of Yemen) the streets are wet with urine just tossed out. In the Rainy season in Baghdad, the sewers overflow and sewage just collects on the street. The people have absolutely no pride in the city or cleanliness. The Tigris in just another open sewer. Egypt is not all that clean either; but, not nearly as bad as some others.

On the other hand, Amman is fairly clean. The people and the country have an entirely different attitude. Omen is compatible to any city in the west, as is most of the Emirates and Saudi Arabia.

v/r
R

care to link to the international laws that force Israel into opening its borders to anyone, or are you saying that these laws only exist in your fantasy world and only apply to Israel ? ? ?

A righteous Jew.

Advertisement

Yep a hat trick of derailments and islamomoron propaganda

A righteous Jew.

Advertisement

James Besser is an "islamomoron"? You are hilarious.

clear.png
Funny x 1
Daniyel Daniyell thinks 5 Armed israeli's beating on one un-armed Palestinian is "funny"

"People who post on this Board have such a distorted vision of what Israel is"

Truer words have rarely been spoken. This statement is spot on.

ForeverYoung436, et al,

They all vary in their presentation.

(COMMENT)

Places like Afghanistan, Iraq, and Yemen are dumps. They are places that have trash in the the streets; with a lot of cities that empty toilet bowls in the street. In the morning in Sanaa (Capital of Yemen) the streets are wet with urine just tossed out. In the Rainy season in Baghdad, the sewers overflow and sewage just collects on the street. The people have absolutely no pride in the city or cleanliness. The Tigris in just another open sewer. Egypt is not all that clean either; but, not nearly as bad as some others.

On the other hand, Amman is fairly clean. The people and the country have an entirely different attitude. Omen is compatible to any city in the west, as is most of the Emirates and Saudi Arabia.

v/r
R

Had the Christians and Muslims of Palestine been granted independence when the Muslims of Trans-Jordania received theirs, Palestine would be far more advanced than Jordan. The Palestinians were the most educated and capable people of the Middle East.

A righteous Jew.

Advertisement

You are freddy boy, it seems that English is not your first language because you have such a hard time understanding it

A righteous Jew.

Advertisement

You are freddy boy, it seems that English is not your first language because you have such a hard time understanding it

Well English is certainly not your first language. You claimed that article referred to, written by a well known Jewish journalist, was "Islamomoron" propaganda, hence the writer, by definition, the writer is an "Islamomoron" according to you.

Forum List

Back