Curious.Will An Oven Actually Implode By Putting A Frozen Turkey In At 500 Degrees?

Rexx Taylor

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2015
Sarasota, Florida
:eusa_think: :hitit: :poke: We have all heard those stories of people cooking turkeys for the first time without really looking into the actual instructions. Guess they just figured to just unwrap the 30/40 pound frozen turkey, put it in the oven and just set it to 400 or so degrees. Then they go off to the bathroom or watch TV, and about 30 minutes later there is a massive explosion in the kitchen and they have no idea what happened.
Now, has this "Turkey Exploding Debacle" of this nature ever actually happened, or do we just joke about it?
:uhoh3:

• Banned
The turkey burned the house down because they were frying it and spilled oil on the burner and it caught fire.

Not from the oven. A frozen turkey can't catch fire. It's a block of ice.
yes, thats what i remember, they were going to fry the turkey in a batch of oil,,,real intelligent!

The turkey burned the house down because they were frying it and spilled oil on the burner and it caught fire.

Depends on how much gas you poor on it first. :)

The first year my daughter moved out she asked for a bit of help with preparations. After my turkey was in the oven, I went over and got her turkey ready for baking.

But being who I am, I snuck 4 eggs in with the stuffing and she freaked!

Too hilarious.

yes, thats what i remember, they were going to fry the turkey in a batch of oil,,,real intelligent!

Deep fried turkeys are all the rage these days. And with more knowledge out there and fryers specially for that, it's much safer.

But hillbillies, hicks and rednecks will always find new ways to cause mayhem.

Trust me, I know.

Deep fried turkeys are all the rage these days. And with more knowledge out there and fryers specially for that, it's much safer.

Trust me, I know.
well, maybe we now have a new kind of bomb to develop in case of WW3.

Trust me, I know.

Here, hold my beer, watch this!

Trust me, I know.

i wonder if a frozen turkey will explode if you place it next to a very angry Hillary Clinton

Trust me, I know.

LOL!

Exactly!

Trust me, I know.

LOL!

Exactly!

Those words usually preclude an injury/tragedy.

Trust me, I know.

LOL!

Exactly!

Those words usually preclude an injury/tragedy.
maybe we can just drop a frozen Micheal Moore somewhere in N. Korea?

Nope. Won't happen. Nothing to explode.

Try this with a 5 gallon jug of unleaded though.....
i hear that some people have burnt maybe half of their home because they cooked the turkey wrong, and it caught on fire. probably residents of los angeles
That's because they were carelessly deep-frying the turkey (deep-frying means the bird was immersed in boiling-hot oil -- like making french-fries).

While there is no question that deep-frying will produce the tastiest turkey the process must be done according to certain rules, first among which is to use a sufficiently large pot, deep enough for the bird to be fully immersed with at least four or five vacant inches at the top. If the pot is too small and it must be filled to the brim with oil to adequately cover, when the bird starts to really cook (and the pot is left unattended for long periods) some oil will bubble, spill over, and can catch fire when it contacts the flame or heating element.

The safest way to deep-fry a turkey is to do it outside away from the house -- and keep checking on it, like every fifteen minutes. I know this is a lot of trouble compared with just putting it in the oven and forgetting it. But the difference in the taste of a deep-fried turkey is well worth the extra trouble.

Last edited:
Nope. Won't happen. Nothing to explode.

Try this with a 5 gallon jug of unleaded though.....
i hear that some people have burnt maybe half of their home because they cooked the turkey wrong, and it caught on fire. probably residents of los angeles
That's because they were carelessly deep-frying the turkey (deep-frying means the bird was immersed in boiling-hot oil -- like making french-fries).

While there is no question that deep-frying will produce the tastiest turkey the process must be done according to certain rules, first among which is to use a sufficiently large pot, deep enough for the bird to be fully immersed with at least four or five vacant inches at the top. If the pot is too small and it must be filled to the brim with oil to adequately cover, when the bird starts to really cook (and the pot is left unattended for long periods) some oil will bubble, spill over, and can catch fire when it contacts the flame or heating element.

The safest way to deep-fry a turkey is to do it outside -- away from the house. And keep checking on it, like every fifteen minutes. I know this is a lot of trouble compared with just putting it in the oven and forgetting it. But the difference in the taste of a deep-fried turkey is well worth the extra trouble.
well for some people on this planet, apparently they blew up their kitchen in attempt of a wonderful/peaceful/family dinner

Forum List

Back