curious what ya'll think of this

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KLSuddeth, Apr 13, 2004.

1. KLSuddeth

KLSuddeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Non-violence means dialogue, using our language, the human language. Dialogue means compromise; respecting each other’s rights; in the spirit of reconciliation there is a real solution to conflict and disagreement. There is no hundred percent winner, no hundred percent loser—not that way but half-and-half. That is the practical way, the only way.

-His Holiness the Dalai Lama

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Comprimise, however, implies that both sides agree to it, which is not always the case. Thought I can't remember the source of the quote, here's another one.

Or something like that. I'll come back when I get the exact quote and the source.

3. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree.

Throw out the whole "compromise" thing. The idea needs to be a neutral look at both sides dissected on a table in front of both parties.

When conclusive proof shows which is the better option, a session opens for tweaking said option according to the same criteria. When all is said and done, the proper solution emerges fully agreed upon and will most likeley be the best solution with no compromise needed. -Yet all walk away having LEARNED something.

4. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I cannot see how the Dalai Lama believes compromise can be achieved when the goal of one side is the obliteration of the other. The fact is, that he (DL) believes in something I don't. That there is another force out there we should be heeding- great for him and other religious believers. I happen to believe there is only here and now so I'm not going to subjugate myself and my rights & happiness for some distant reward.

5. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I believe in a divine being, a divine being who destroyed the Earth in a flood, destroyed two cities in a firestorm, drowned an entire army in an ocean, killed the firstborn of an entire nation, struck two people dead for lying to him, and even, while in human form, trashed the courtyard around a temple to him for being corrupt. God is quite benevolant and has a long fuse, but even Jesus had to get rowdy once.

6. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Jesus was human. Most people don't think about it, but Jesus dealt with the same stresses of the world as the rest of us. I'd go so far as to say that the constant struggle of being a divine being (or at least thinking you are; I don't want to steer this off-course) while trying to survive as a human being may have made Jesus a more edgy person than others, maybe not on the outside, or to others, but the guy had to have flipped out at least a couple times, no?

7. _dmp_

_dmp_ Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    this sums it up nicely...

[​IMG]

8. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    For the record, He had a whip in His hand. He used necessary force overturning tables and scattering the components and money from the illegal activity -in a place of worship.

He didn't fight anyone, he didn't use the whip, and was directing all dialog to the actions. Immediately He then had kind dialog with someone who was asking questions.

He didn't flip out or react emotionally. He took necessary disciplinary action against those who were ignoring law, His will, and mocked the worship of God, especially in HIs presence.

9. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Nope, his apostles were with him 24/7, and he never flipped out. In what I was mentioning above, Jesus made a controlled, measured response. After seeing the temple turned into a marketplace, he left and made a whip. When he came back, he trashed the place pretty thoroughly, but was sure to do as little harm as possible to the people and animals. He was angry, but he was angry in a calm, controlled way. That's the difference between anger and rage.

10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Well, I wasn't actually talking about any one incident. All I'm saying is the Bible puts a lot of emphasis on the nature of Christ, how he's human, and also the son of God. Obviously, if he were human, would he not have to deal with the same emotions and problems that are inherent to human nature? I always saw him as a man, but it looks like a lot of people (not referring to you two, I'm talking people I've met and stuff) think of him simply as a mindless drone, nothing more than a vessel through which God could carry out his wills, and I don't agree with that. But, then again, I'm not really sold on Christianity anyhow, so my argument is kinda pointless, I suppose.