Curing America's Health Care Ills

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Adam's Apple, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    How to Cure Health Care
    By Milton Friedman, Hoover Digest
    November 21, 2005

This is a good article on health care in America, beginning with a history of how we came to depend on employers for health insurance coverage and going into the author’s ideas on how to cure America’s health care ills without “universal” health care.

http://www.hoover.org/publications/digest/3459466.html

2. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Not through all of it yet, but that it is a perspective from one of the brightest economists of the last century speaks volumes.

To carry out some of his analogies (i.e. third parties don't pay for food), shouldn't the left be pushing that all basic 'necessities' be provided by the government (food, shelter, etc.)?

3. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Actually, we do provide food and shelter. Take a look a HUD and all the public housing projects. And we subsidize our farmers to the tune of about $20 billion a year.

4. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    To a degree. I'm talking about the difference between optional and requirment. i.e. requirement that government be the sole provider of health care.

We're considering the hypothetical that regardless of what you make the government will provide those necessities from our current system where if you're destitute enough government will provide those basic necessities.

Certain people have the expectation that their healthcare is governments responsibility regardless of whether they can pay for it or not on the ground that it is a basic necessity (which is open for debate as well). So why do they not make the same argument with regard to other basic necessities?

I'm not arguing that this country should'nt have safety nets. I'm arguing that it isn't unreasonable to expect people to provide for themselves if capable.

5. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    If we had good leadership, the "tyranny of the status quo" could possibly be broken. Americans are ready for change. But it seems that even our congressmen are subject to that same "tyranny".

6. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    I'm wondering why anyone would pay much attention to an organization named to honor the economic acumen of the person who brought us Hoovervilles. :wtf:

7. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Unless we're talking about different Hoovervilles, you lost me. Hoovervilles or shanty towns were unofficial towns brought about by dissatisfaction of Hoover durring the depression. Freidman, by the end of the depression, would have been 26-28. Who/what are you talking about?

8. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Friedman wrote the article, and by the way, made one of the stupidest comments I have ever read in it about how people would make better medical care choices if it came out of their own pocket.

The link, however, is to the Hoover Institution, which was started by Herbert Hoover. It's mission statement is:

http://www.hoover.org/about/mission

Based on what I read in the article and saw on that site, I figure it's economic assertions would result in about the same as Hoover's.

9. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    What evidence is there that Hoover caused the depression?

And Friedman's statement is stupid? You really believe people are tighter and make better choices spending other people's money then their own?

10. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    I think most people go to the doctor when they have no choice because it is so expensive. I believe people who aren't monied only take their kids for well visits when those visits are insured.

I think older people on pensions have enough trouble paying for medications and food and the whole concept that a purely profit-driven pharmaceutical/medical industry would somehow benefit from people being on their own is silly.

No one says, "oh, I think I'll waste my insurance company's money today and go to a doctor".

As for Hoover, he absolutely made bad choices.