Cure for HIV, Ebola, Flu

So healthy cells would repair themselves, would that mean unhealthy cells, say like cancerous cells, wouldn't?

Are cancer cells viruses?

Course not. But that doesnt really answer my question does it? I'd like to know what it does to cancer cells as they are unhealthy.

You aren't curious at all?

I'm curious as hell. But I worked with and was surrounded by the AIDS epidemic and Hep C, and other shit. Since childhood, cancer has struck people I've known and loved. I've learned not to allow emotion to cloud critical judgment.

Course not. But that doesnt really answer my question does it? I'd like to know what it does to cancer cells as they are unhealthy.

I'm curious as hell. But I worked with and was surrounded by the AIDS epidemic and Hep C, and other shit. Since childhood, cancer has struck people I've known and loved. I've learned not to allow emotion to cloud critical judgment.

How the heck is asking a question for intellectual purposes allowing emotion to cloud critical judgement?

They are immortal? You learn something new everyday.
Yep. Cancerous cells have lost the mechanisms that induce cell death, and so they will continue to live and reproduce as long as there are nutrients to do so.

It's why we use tumor cell lines to study disease and medicine in the lab. The most common line was taken from a woman who died of cancer in 1951. The tumor cells that killed her are now used in thousands of labs across the globe!

They're rather like pets, really. You feed them nutrient broth every day, make sure they're at the right humidity and temperature, and keep them away from any radiation. I suppose, if you tended them long enough, they would form a teeming mass of human flesh. Similar techniques are being explored to grow artificial meat.

Most of the time, though, we keep them in liquid phase, as they're much easier to work with.

cell_cultivation.jpg

Last edited:
☭proletarian☭;2213296 said:
☭proletarian☭;2213208 said:
In layman's terms, that means what, as far as application and effectiveness are concerned?
It means it doesn't work on all viruses, just a certain type.
But that type includes some of the most insidious viruses known to Man?
Fortunately, yes. Most animal viruses have lipid membranes (which they steal from infected cells).

Here is a list of viruses which can be targeted by LJ001.

Last edited:
So healthy cells would repair themselves, would that mean unhealthy cells, say like cancerous cells, wouldn't?

How the heck is asking a question for intellectual purposes allowing emotion to cloud critical judgement?

:eusa_shhh:

intellectual purposes? I don't think so.

but, a critical reading of the links provided in the post should have prevented your asking the original question. critical judgment on my part (I wasn't suggesting you posses anything like it) dictates I look at stories like this one with a jaundiced as well as a critical eye.

They are immortal? You learn something new everyday.
Yep. Cancerous cells have lost the mechanisms that induce cell death, and so they will continue to live and reproduce as long as there are nutrients to do so.

It's why we use tumor cell lines to study disease and medicine in the lab. The most common line was taken from a woman who died of cancer in 1951. The tumor cells that killed her are now used in thousands of labs across the globe!

They're rather like pets, really. You feed them nutrient broth every day, make sure they're at the right humidity and temperature, and keep them away from any radiation. I suppose, if you tended them long enough, they would form a teeming mass of human flesh. Similar techniques are being explored to grow artificial meat.

Most of the time, though, we keep them in liquid phase, as they're much easier to work with.

cell_cultivation.jpg

tumor cells are like middle class Americans---they will eat and eat until they devour the planet

☭proletarian☭;2213296 said:
☭proletarian☭;2213208 said:
In layman's terms, that means what, as far as application and effectiveness are concerned?
It means it doesn't work on all viruses, just a certain type.
But that type includes some of the most insidious viruses known to Man?

that is what the story said.

here is another link: Welcome to TechNewsWorld

and remember to note: "LJ001 may form the basis for treating..."

I don't think it has done a thing yet---outside the lab

tumor cells are like middle class Americans---they will eat and eat until they devour the planet
I'm a microbiologist, not a sociologist!

http://sheryl.org/images/trek/mccoy/mccoy2.jp/IMG][/QUOTE]

and I know that what works in a lab isn't always a sure bet in the real world.

that said, this new thingie [B]may have[/B], [I][B]probable, [/B][/I]maybe benefits in some cases.

The cancer and hiv and other communities will be banging down the doors of regulators to speed up human uses if this shows as much promise as the hype suggests. I say they should keep a lid on some of it. The press is too invested in hype and is irresponsible when it comes to medical science.

I hope I am wrong, but I see stories like this one causing problems for researchers and regulators.Which affects science and the funding for it.

And why will it have to wait for further testing on animals? If a terminally ill human volunteers to be tested, why shouldnt they be allowed to?

The cancer and hiv and other communities will be banging down the doors of regulators to speed up human uses if this shows as much promise as the hype suggests. I say they should keep a lid on some of it. The press is too invested in hype and is irresponsible when it comes to medical science.

I hope I am wrong, but I see stories like this one causing problems for researchers and regulators.Which affects science and the funding for it.
If the FDA and CDC allow terminal HIV patients to try the drug, I'm sure there will be plenty of patients and scientists who will jump at the chance.

Hell, there are plenty of cases where enthusiastic scientists experimented upon themselves!

Doctors who had a taste of their own medicine - Times Online

Most famously, Dr. Marshall proved that H pylori caused ulcers by drinking a culture loaded with the bacteria. When he rapidly developed severe ulcers, his discovery earned him a Nobel prize.

And why will it have to wait for further testing on animals? If a terminally ill human volunteers to be tested, why shouldnt they be allowed to?
Principally, you test on animals to determine safe dosage levels, so you don't accidentally kill your human volunteers.

Given the seriousness of the diseases involved, I wouldn't be surprised if this research is fast-tracked.

If the FDA and CDC allow terminal HIV patients to try the drug, I'm sure there will be plenty of patients and scientists who will jump at the chance.

Hell, there are plenty of cases where enthusiastic scientists experimented upon themselves!

Doctors who had a taste of their own medicine - Times Online

Most famously, Dr. Marshall proved that H pylori caused ulcers by drinking a culture loaded with the bacteria. When he rapidly developed severe ulcers, his discovery earned him a Nobel prize.

I remember the loosening up of the rules. I remember ACT UP and others prodding the authorities and powers that be. Those acts saved many lives, and not just those with HIV/AIDS. I also remember the errors---heartbreaking ones involving human guinea pigs.

I helped with a policy on informed consent involving studies in phase 1, 2,and 3. This compound is going to be patented. There will be no Jekylls and Hydes. :lol:

Principally, you test on animals to determine safe dosage levels, so you don't accidentally kill your human volunteers.

Given the seriousness of the diseases involved, I wouldn't be surprised if this research is fast-tracked.

dosage levels and toxicity and side effects will be dealt with in phase 1 and 2 studies---in humans.

and what studies will happen with humans will be dictated by what we see happen in the lab animals, not news stories.

Last edited:
and what studies will happen with humans will be dictated by what we see happen in the lab animals, not news stories.
Of course.

I linked to the news story precisely because it is easily understood by the average person. Very few people here are interested in reading technical, dry journal articles.

Forum List

Back