Cupcake - 1986-2006

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
Cupcake is a cat. We got her back in 1986. When my ex and I split up, Cupcake and Muffin, the other cat we had, stayed with the ex.

Well, last weekend I got the news that Cupcake doesn't have long to live. She was diagnosed with kidney failure and wasn't expected to live out the week. My ex called me this AM and told me that she expects to have her put to sleep either today or tomorrow because she's at the point where she can barely get to her water dish or use her litter box without collapsing.

The odd thing is that I haven't lived with Cupcake since 1992 and I still feel bad...

Before you say "twenty years is a long time to live for a cat".. I know that. Still I feel pretty bummed out about it....

Cupcake was a good cat, as was Muffin.. I guess they always stay with you... :(:(:(:(

KarlMarx said:
Cupcake is a cat. We got her back in 1986. When my ex and I split up, Cupcake and Muffin, the other cat we had, stayed with the ex.

Well, last weekend I got the news that Cupcake doesn't have long to live. She was diagnosed with kidney failure and wasn't expected to live out the week. My ex called me this AM and told me that she expects to have her put to sleep either today or tomorrow because she's at the point where she can barely get to her water dish or use her litter box without collapsing.

The odd thing is that I haven't lived with Cupcake since 1992 and I still feel bad...

Before you say "twenty years is a long time to live for a cat".. I know that. Still I feel pretty bummed out about it....

Cupcake was a good cat, as was Muffin.. I guess they always stay with you... :(:(:(:(

Was Muffin one of those striped cats with the perfect M in the forehead? I had an M-class kitty named Muffin too. And one named Murphy.

So sorry Karl. We had a cat with the same ailment. We were able to treat with dialysis for a short period of time. It worked great; the problem was it had to be done every week&½ or so at $100.00 a pop. It was a great deal of stress for the cat and just a matter of time, so we reluctantly had him put to sleep. We were present of course.

I, too, am sorry. This will require grieving time as does any loss.

But I would also tell the ex to keep a close watch on Muffin. That cat too will mourn. I had to have one put down 6 weeks later from the demise of one. And he was healthy.

I had a girlfriend that I lived with for a while. About 6 months before we broke it off we got a hampster. Yes, a hampster. Hamilton was its name, of course we named it before we figured out the thing was a girl....

Anyway about 6 months after we broke up she called to tell me the danged thing died. It was not a happy moment.

The thing of it is, it brought back the memories of the break up along with the whole dead animal thing. What was she doing? Just picking the scab?

Forum List

Back