Culture wars in the corner drugstore

Shattered said:
I don't know about you, but most people I know use personal examples to help further their points.

sure.

Legally, they have the right.. but that doesn't make it right in the eyes of the world.

The beauty of 'morals' and 'values' is this: It doesn't matter how things look to the eyes of the world. Morals and Values are based on Idividuals. It doesn't look right to the eyes of the world that Women need to submit to their husbands, and Husbands are to love their wives like God loves people. the world's perspective on 'right' and 'wrong' is blurred.

This lady - if she exists...and if she was actually raped - needs to be more responsible. She needs to get to the ER asap, get whatever she needs, and allow more time for whatever she decides to do. Worst case scenario? She has a baby. No big deal. She has other options too - she could simply abort the fetus. That's legal.

Forcing a Medical Professional and a business to act against their principles in SUPPORT of her decision is wrong.

-=d=- said:
sure.

The beauty of 'morals' and 'values' is this: It doesn't matter how things look to the eyes of the world. Morals and Values are based on Idividuals. It doesn't look right to the eyes of the world that Women need to submit to their husbands, and Husbands are to love their wives like God loves people. the world's perspective on 'right' and 'wrong' is blurred.

This lady - if she exists...and if she was actually raped - needs to be more responsible. She needs to get to the ER asap, get whatever she needs, and allow more time for whatever she decides to do. Worst case scenario? She has a baby. No big deal. She has other options too - she could simply abort the fetus. That's legal.

Forcing a Medical Professional and a business to act against their principles in SUPPORT of her decision is wrong.

I agree she needs to get to the ER ASAP. However, you're missing the mental anguish that goes with such a thing, and that simply can't be explained to a point wherein an opposing view is going to understand it, and/or give it any credibility whatsoever, rather than just biting back with logical comments.

dilloduck said:
bull--Pharmacists are more aware of all the meds that the patient takes than the Doc-----they have saved lives by not giving a patient a scrip that in combination with other drugs would kill them
That's why they call the Doc. and verify...geeezzzzzzzzzzz...

Shattered said:
I agree she needs to get to the ER ASAP. However, you're missing the mental anguish that goes with such a thing, and that simply can't be explained to a point wherein an opposing view is going to understand it, and/or give it any credibility whatsoever, rather than just biting back with logical comments.

You don't give people enough credit.

Shattered said:

BITING BACK WITH LOGICAL COMMENTS ????

Mr. P said:
That's why they call the Doc. and verify...geeezzzzzzzzzzz...

point is--they do a lot more than mindlessly fill scipts and do whatever the Dr. tells em to do. jeeeeeeeeeeezzzzz

-=d=- said:
You don't give people enough credit.

I think you're mistaken.. You've said pretty much everything to indicate you believe this is her problem, her fault she was raped, a severe lack of planning on her part, etc., without giving a single consideration to anything other than straight, unfeeling logic. No sympathy for her (like you said - if she exists), no sympathy for her plight, etc. Nothing more than "Too bad. Go elsewhere." which is the last thing someone in that position needs to hear.

dilloduck said:
point is--they do a lot more than mindlessly fill scipts and do whatever the Dr. tells em to do. jeeeeeeeeeeezzzzz
Yeah, I think their bound to by LAW.. But the Laws they follow do not give them legal rights to NOT fill a script.

Shattered said:

It is estimated that only 12% of rapes are even reported at all.

In your scenario the girl was actively seeking what she believed to be prevention, what the Pharmacist believed to be abortion. I don't see how forcing a Pharmacist to provide an abortion against their beliefs is a way to improve our society regardless of the girls circumstance. Other options were open to the girl in question and could have been persued.

Shattered said:
I think you're mistaken.. You've said pretty much everything to indicate you believe this is her problem, her fault she was raped, a severe lack of planning on her part, etc., without giving a single consideration to anything other than straight, unfeeling logic. No sympathy for her (like you said - if she exists), no sympathy for her plight, etc. Nothing more than "Too bad. Go elsewhere." which is the last thing someone in that position needs to hear.

Don't put words in my mouth - so to speak.

Please show me - quote me - where I've written "It was HER fault she got raped". That has NOT happened. I have writted 'alegedy' raped...not the same thing. Please don't do what you are doing.

What I am saying is the woman needs to take MORE responsibility for her actions AFTER the incident allegedly took place. Waiting until hour 70 of the 72 hour window (we don't know how long, except she was 'close' to the 72 hr window..) is piss-poor planning.

Again - too bad? Go elsewhere? Seriously...read what I'm typing and try not to filter it with whatever prejudices you may have. Telling her to 'go some place else' FIXES her problem of not being able to get the drug. It's saying...

"If Pharmacist "A" won't give you the drug, ask to speak with Pharmacist "B". If nobody in the Pharmacy will give you the drug, go to another Pharmacy."

There. Everythings Better. She gets to potentially kill a baby, AND Pharmacists A&B don't compromise their values.

Mr. P said:
Yeah, I think their bound to by LAW.. But the Laws they follow do not give them legal rights to NOT fill a script.

They have a MORAL obligation to 'not fill' scripts they feel are dangerous, or otherwise wrong.

no1tovote4 said:
It is estimated that only 12% of rapes are even reported at all.

In your scenario the girl was actively seeking what she believed to be prevention, what the Pharmacist believed to be abortion. I don't see how forcing a Pharmacist to provide an abortion against their beliefs is a way to improve our society regardless of the girls circumstance. Other options were open to the girl in question and could have been persued.

I'm not disputing any of that.. What I'm disputing is the fact that she did what she was supposed to do.. She went to the doctor.. She was given a prescription, told the meds must be taken within 72 hours, went to HER pharmacy, and was confronted by someone telling her that he would not fill said prescription, not because it was harmfull mixed with something else, not because it was a falsified prescription, not because it would harm her, internally, mentally, or anything else, but because it was against his beliefs.

Mr. P said:

Existing law does allow them to refuse a Doctor's prescription and in fact makes them responsible for the safety of the drug for the patient. Often a Pharmacist will have information that the patient failed to provide to the Doctor and the Pharmacist will know that the drug is unsafe. At that point if the Pharmacist simply gives the drug because of the prescription they are liable for any harmful effect the drug will have.

Some pharmacists see the embryo as a patient and will not dispense drugs that will kill their patient, some see it as prevention. Sometimes in the name of tolerance we will be inconvenienced, but it is worth it so that we too may have our beliefs tolerated in this country.

Forum List

Back