Culture wars in the corner drugstore

no1tovote4 said:
What is the closest Grocery Store? If you live within three miles of a Walgreens then it is unlikely that you live out in the Boondocks with us hicks. There are other places that have Pharmacists than Walgreens.

You complete me.

:D

no1tovote4 said:
ATM. Most accept Credit Cards too.

#1-Emergency Contraception

Mary Joe is an 18-year-old college student at UNM. She presents a prescription for four Ovral® tablets. The instructions are to take two immediately and two in twelve hours. Ovral® contains ethinyl estradiol and norgestrel and is used as a contraceptive when taken one tablet per day. When taken in the manner prescribed to Mary Joe it is intended as a morning-after-pill - emergency post-coital contraception, to inhibit or delay ovulation or to prohibit implantation of a fertilized egg within 72 hours of intercourse.1 The only pharmacist on duty, Phil, has strong pro-life beliefs. Firm in his beliefs, Phil refuses to dispense the prescription believing that the prescription is being used as an abortifacient. Mary Joe explains that she needs to have the prescription filled soon, because it is very close to 72 hours since intercourse. She begins crying and pleads with Phil to fill the prescriptions and explains that she can not have the prescription filled at another pharmacy because this is the only one that allows her to charge, and her financial aid has not come in yet. Phil advises Mary Joe that she should seek counseling and shares his religious belief with her. Mary Joe explains that she was walking home from her volunteer job at the children's hospital when she was attacked and raped. Mary Joe leaves the pharmacy very upset, without the prescription. Later she calls the pharmacy, explains the situation to the pharmacy manager, and demands that Phil be fired. Does Phil have a right to refuse to dispense the drug? What duty does Phil have to Mary Joe? What are the implications to the patient, the employer, co-workers, the profession, and society? What can be done to minimize the effects of this volatile issue?

Hmmm, I think I may have been swayed here. Even I, who live in the boondocks, can still get to another Pharmacist within the proscribed time period.

-=d=- said:
Where's the prejudice? It's about people having 'standards' and 'living up to their standards'.

You are paid to dispense medication as prescribed by a DOCTOR. You are not paid to second guess the doctor.

Mr. P said:
Huh? you mean it's okay as long as it goes your way? Oh boy, sounds hypocritical to me.

If a phamacy does not stock a med. fine, that's their choice. If they do stock a med. then it is the phramacists job to dispense that med. with a valid script from a Doctor, else get another job.

I agree that if they stock a medicine they should dispense it. However, I see nothing wrong with pharmacists deciding not to stock something because its contrary to their values. So now we should force them to sell us things they dont want to sell us? If they choose not to sell something, their competitors will, others will get the business. It isn't like people won't be getting their medication.

And there was nothing hypocrtical about what I was saying. i am just saying that those whose religious values forbid them from any sort of medical treatment for illness, probably would not survive in the market. The example of say a JW who has certain prohibitions on medical treatment and wants to say stop the sale of all drugs, won't be selling anything if they decide not to sell drugs contrary to their values and probably wont make it in the phramacuetical business. There is nothing wrong with pointing it out and stating there might be a problem there.

Shattered said:

Mary Joe explains that she needs to have the prescription filled soon, because it is very close to 72 hours since intercourse.

I hope this doesn't sound cold...but..

there used to be a sign in my Personnel office which read:

"lack of preperation on YOUR part does not constitute an Emergency on MY part"

Shattered said:

#1-Emergency Contraception

Mary Joe is an 18-year-old college student at UNM. She presents a prescription for four Ovral® tablets. The instructions are to take two immediately and two in twelve hours. Ovral® contains ethinyl estradiol and norgestrel and is used as a contraceptive when taken one tablet per day. When taken in the manner prescribed to Mary Joe it is intended as a morning-after-pill - emergency post-coital contraception, to inhibit or delay ovulation or to prohibit implantation of a fertilized egg within 72 hours of intercourse.1 The only pharmacist on duty, Phil, has strong pro-life beliefs. Firm in his beliefs, Phil refuses to dispense the prescription believing that the prescription is being used as an abortifacient. Mary Joe explains that she needs to have the prescription filled soon, because it is very close to 72 hours since intercourse. She begins crying and pleads with Phil to fill the prescriptions and explains that she can not have the prescription filled at another pharmacy because this is the only one that allows her to charge, and her financial aid has not come in yet. Phil advises Mary Joe that she should seek counseling and shares his religious belief with her. Mary Joe explains that she was walking home from her volunteer job at the children's hospital when she was attacked and raped. Mary Joe leaves the pharmacy very upset, without the prescription. Later she calls the pharmacy, explains the situation to the pharmacy manager, and demands that Phil be fired. Does Phil have a right to refuse to dispense the drug? What duty does Phil have to Mary Joe? What are the implications to the patient, the employer, co-workers, the profession, and society? What can be done to minimize the effects of this volatile issue?

She can visit an ATM, they also accept credit cards, then go to another Pharmacist.

Mr. P said:
I know you're not asking me, but.
No I wouldn't do that, however as I understand this, it wasn't a matter of stocking a med, it was a refusal to dispense said med with a valid script, big differance. I also heard that some of the pharmacist refused to return the script to the customer, thus preventing them from going elsewhere (I don't know if that's true).

Taking the script is a totally differnt story. I am totally against that. Although i dont think they should be required to dispense it if its contrary to their values. There are competitors who would have no qualms about picking up the slack.

no1tovote4 said:
Hmmm, I think I may have been swayed here. Even I, who live in the boondocks, can still get to another Pharmacist within the proscribed time period.

I'm sure we can all get to another pharmacist..That's not the question.. The question is why should we have to, when the person standing in front of us is being paid to do a very specific job, which is to dispense medication per a doctors written prescription?

Shattered said:
You are paid to dispense medication as prescribed by a DOCTOR. You are not paid to second guess the doctor.

I am not...no...but a Pharmacist IS. A Pharmacist has the SAME responsibility to the health of the patient a doctor has. You tell me which professional knows more about me: An ER doctor, or the Pharmacist I've been going to for 20 years.

Pharmacists are to ensure people aren't taking conflicting meds...they are to make sure the meds prescribed by doctors don't have bad interactions with OTHER meds or conditions doctors may not be aware of.

Yeah ... both doctors and pharmacists have a role. A 'good' pharmacist takes their job seriously.

Shattered said:
So.. in other words, one doesn't want the government stepping in and making a decision on someones personal life, but it's ok to let a complete stranger behind a counter make a life-altering decision for you because of his/her own personal beliefs...

You are acting like there aren't other pharmacists out there. But we live in a marketplace. There are always those willing to sell people what they need.

Shattered said:
I'm sure we can all get to another pharmacist..That's not the question.. The question is why should we have to, when the person standing in front of us is being paid to do a very specific job, which is to dispense medication per a doctors written prescription?

I cannot force him to do something against his morals simply because he works somewhere. Tolerance makes it so we sometimes have to work around other's beliefs, it might be a hassle but it makes this place a better place to live.

You are acting like there aren't other pharmacists out there. But we live in a marketplace. There are always those willing to sell people what they need.

Get the emergency room to give you what you need-----hopefully you went there after being raped

Shattered said:

Your premise of what a pharmacist's duties are is flawed.

uspharmd.com

Pharmacists play a vital role in the health care system through the medicine and information they provide.
While responsibilities vary among the different areas of pharmacy practice, the bottom line is that pharmacists help patients get well. Pharmacists responsibilities include a range of care for patients, from dispensing medications to monitoring patient health and progress to maximize their response to the medication. Pharmacists also educate consumers and patients on the use of prescriptions and over-the-counter medications, and advise physicians, nurses, and other health professionals on drug decisions. Pharmacists also provide expertise about the composition of drugs, including their chemical, biological, and physical properties and their manufacture and use. They ensure drug purity and strength and make sure that drugs do not interact in a harmful way. Pharmacists are drug experts ultimately concerned about their patients' health and wellness.

-=d=- said:
I hope this doesn't sound cold...but..

there used to be a sign in my Personnel office which read:

"lack of preperation on YOUR part does not constitute an Emergency on MY part"

D.. In the scenario, she was RAPED. No planning there.

Shattered said:
Why should she have to?

The whole point of the post was that she had no choices and I pointed out that she did.

What if they didn't stock that drug becuase it was too expensive, should we now require that every pharmacist stock every single drug regardless of cost to their business? There can be many reasons that she might need to go to another Pharmacist.

However as I said in a previous post, tolerance sometimes means inconvenience but I believe that it is worth it.

Shattered said:
D.. In the scenario, she was RAPED. No planning there.

and has been pointed out if she is raped then hopefully she went to an ER so she can get examined and they can give her medication there.

Forum List

Back