Cuba

The Black Caucus that visited Cuba believe their people are better off than our own. They think the economic policy in Cuba would improve the quality of life in America.
You mean the "Clueless Seven" led by commie Rep. Barbara Lee of Oakland, CA? You mean her Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) group that swooned over Fidel, the master manipulator, who played them for the suckup idiots that they are?

The Miami Herald labeled the seven members of the CBC who went to Cuba, “The Clueless Seven”

The Herald’s scathing editorial continued: “If only the group had met with even one prisoner of conscience or one of the wives, mothers, daughters or sisters of the 75 independent journalists, librarians and human-rights advocates imprisoned in Cuba's ‘Black Spring’ of 2003…Or the seven could have traveled three hours from Havana to see the hunger-striking dissidents led by Jorge Luis Garcia ‘Antunez’ Perez in Placetas. Or they could have asked to see Oscar Elias Biscet, a doctor serving 25 years in prison for following the peaceful resistance of Martin Luther King Jr. … Or what of the mothers of three young men who were tried in a day and killed the next by firing squad in 2003 for trying to hijack a ferry from Havana Harbor? No passenger was hurt, but that didn't stop the Cuban government from sending a swift and terrifying message to the country's Afro-Cuban masses.”

And as The Washington Post, another major liberal newspaper, editorialized: (Rep. Barbara Lee said that) “‘Cubans do want dialogue. They do want talks.’ Funny, then, that in five days on the island the Congress members found no time for dialogue with Afro-Cuban dissident Jorge Luis Garcia Perez. … Mr. Garcia, better known as ‘Antunez,’ is a renowned advocate of human rights who has often been singled out for harsh treatment because of his color. ‘The authorities in my country,’ he has said, ‘have never tolerated that a black person (could dare to) oppose the regime.’ His wife, Iris, is a founder of the Rosa Parks Women's Civil Rights Movement, named after an American hero whom Afro-Cubans try to emulate. The couple have been on a hunger strike since Feb. 17, to demand justice for an imprisoned family member.”

Apparently, it is black Americans that the CBC cares about, not black Cubans. And the CBC calls itself “the conscience of the Congress since 1971”!

Before the CBC further embarrasses the civil rights movement, black America, the Democratic Party, and the United States of America, it should consider disbanding.

FrontPage Magazine

Why are we begining to open relations with the castros? why is obama becoming buddy-buddy with all the tyrants ?

Tell me what you think.

Why not I want my god damn cigars already! I personally believe we had a reason to embargo Cuba during the cold war. I mean they were prepared to allow Soviet Nukes in their country.

Yep Castro has been nothing less than a ruthless dictator that f'ed up his country via the flawed concept of Marxism. However, if we are going to stand on cermony and turn our backs to every country with human rights issues, then we will be isolated! I mean we have relations, both diplomatic and economic, with a far more ruthless, power-hungry and repressive dictator in Hugo Chavez, yep relations have been muddied recently but they are still there. Same with China, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and pick any African Country we have relations with! Standing on cermony against Cuba makes little sense! First, they are not islamic terrorist. Second, they are not trying to forment relations with Islamic terrorist or Iran like Hugo Fatass is doing. Third, they are basically our neighbor. Fourth, they are relatively stable, unlike out neighbors South of the border and other Caribean nations aka Haiti. Fourth, Castro is on his way out and Raul is no spring chicken. We should start relations and then help influence them when the next guy comes to power. Have relations now gives us an upper hand when the new leader comes to power. Fifth, I want my god damn cigars!

Some years ago Marxism-Leninism was removed from the constitution in Cuba. I think they would be amenable to more progression towards democracy but probably not until Fidel has gone.

The words may be gone but the Castro tyranny is still there...sanctions should not be loosened until the Castros are gone in another 10 years or so....what's a few more years after this long?

Lifting sanctions now is only going to help the Castro regime by filling up their coffers with money sent from the US....but then I guess maobama wants money sent to anti-American terrorists...

Russia didn't eventually open up and change because Reagan maintained the same stupid policies of not communicating. Gorbachev and he talked and things changed. After 40 years of stupidity regarding Cuba, time to open up policy and hopefully civilize the political power there. Change is inevitable.

You are partly correct - but the great difference between Reagan and his historical presidential counterparts was the image of absolute dominance given off by Reagan's America. Underneath his affable kindly older gentleman's demeanor, was the steely resolve of one absolutely certain of his own view. (the very thing his detractors hated him for) This shook the Russians to the core, and led to open willingness toward compromise.

He was the first president the Russians truly feared - and thus, as is the Russian culture, respected.

I suggest you travel to the Reagan Library and research the archives on this amazing turning point in human history. (As well as take in the remarkable sense of history that pervades the Reagan Library) Along with WWII and the Great Depression, it was the most significant global event of the 20th Century.

Forum List

Back