Cuba

Diuretic

Permanently confused
Apr 26, 2006
South Australia est 1836
I was reading another thread and this appeared in a piece quoted in the thread:

Through CIP, he has been trying to move Congress towards ending travel restrictions and the economic embargo against Castro's Cuba.

I was bemused. Not wanting to derail the other thread I have to ask this question here. Is it true that Americans aren't permitted to travel to Cuba? If so, why is that? And how long has that been in place? And is there any justification for it? It seems entirely strange to me.

Diuretic said:
I was reading another thread and this appeared in a piece quoted in the thread:

I was bemused. Not wanting to derail the other thread I have to ask this question here. Is it true that Americans aren't permitted to travel to Cuba? If so, why is that? And how long has that been in place? And is there any justification for it? It seems entirely strange to me.
Bemused all you like:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1097.html

As im sure Kathy's link will illustrate, ever since the Cuban Missile Crisis of the 50's, Cuba has been on the US embargo list. This prohibits all travel to and from the island as well as trade.

At this point, i think its more out of spite that Castro is still alive and they still cling to communism. Once Castro dies, i think cuba will relinquish Communism and America will welcome it again as a trade partner.

Thanks for the link Kathianne.

insein - I hate to be picky but it was the 60s, I know, I was around at the time :) - 1962 if my memory serves me correctly.

So, there is restricted travel to Cuba for US citizens. Even now. Amazing.

Yes it will be interesting to see what happens when Castro dies. One thing I would suggest though, whatever they do they won't go back to a Batista-type regime.

Diuretic said:
Thanks for the link Kathianne.

insein - I hate to be picky but it was the 60s, I know, I was around at the time :) - 1962 if my memory serves me correctly.

So, there is restricted travel to Cuba for US citizens. Even now. Amazing.

Yes it will be interesting to see what happens when Castro dies. One thing I would suggest though, whatever they do they won't go back to a Batista-type regime.
Not so amazing, we are surprisingly consistant. Cubans are the only 'immigrants' we allow in if they can 'touch' American soil or sand. ;)

Kathianne said:
Not so amazing, we are surprisingly consistant. Cubans are the only 'immigrants' we allow in if they can 'touch' American soil or sand. ;)

No I was amazed at the restrictions your country puts on you from visiting Cuba. As for the immigration aspect, your country, your rules - my country is busy making it as difficult as possible to keep out people who get here by boat, regardless of where they're from

Diuretic said:
No I was amazed at the restrictions your country puts on you from visiting Cuba. As for the immigration aspect, your country, your rules - my country is busy making it as difficult as possible to keep out people who get here by boat, regardless of where they're from

If someone from Cuba can 'touch' US soil, they have an automatic green card. What's happening with Mexicans is NOT supposed to be happening.

Kathianne said:
If someone from Cuba can 'touch' US soil, they have an automatic green card. What's happening with Mexicans is NOT supposed to be happening.

I see. Frankly I stay away from debates concerning immigration in the US. It's a rare example of common sense from me :)

Seriously, it's purely a US domestic issue and I have no opinion on it. And it's any country's sovereign right to determine who is legal and who is illegal, I have no problem with that.

go to cuba by way of mexico, honduras or the bahamas...flash the us passport...ask them not to stamp it and they won't ....having two passports also helps...oh and change the wrappers on the cigars...

Forum List

Back