CSPAN the culprit?

RedChalk

Rookie
Feb 18, 2010
Here's a theory, I'd be interested in what people think: it seems to me that even by the standards of divided government (hate-fest across the aisle, going back to 1776 at least) the last 25 years have been more undermined by a lack of deliberation (listening to the others' ideas) than previously....and I wonder if a major reason is the presence of CSPAN cameras in the chambers. Just as ESPN turned football players into a bunch of clowns, I wonder if politicians playing to the cameras are less able to cut deals, etc.

Here's a theory, I'd be interested in what people think: it seems to me that even by the standards of divided government (hate-fest across the aisle, going back to 1776 at least) the last 25 years have been more undermined by a lack of deliberation (listening to the others' ideas) than previously....and I wonder if a major reason is the presence of CSPAN cameras in the chambers. Just as ESPN turned football players into a bunch of clowns, I wonder if politicians playing to the cameras are less able to cut deals, etc.

Not just CSPAN, but FoxNews, MSNBC, Limbaugh....
Any attempt by a politician to reach across the aisle and compromise is instantly attacked in soundbites and blogs.
Politicians are more worried about the soundbites than actually accomplishing anything

Any attempt by a politician to reach across the aisle and compromise is instantly attacked in soundbites and blogs.
Politicians are more worried about the soundbites than actually accomplishing anything
But without the cameras they could better hide any 'reaching across the aisle' (deny it afterwards)

Holy crap.

We agree.

The media have given them a stage and an audience.

That Boxer thing with the General....the ma'am thing...was a product of the cameras.

That Florida loon....with his "die quickly" crap...a product of the cameras.....

Lindsey Graham....a camera hog ot the max.

But without the cameras they could better hide any 'reaching across the aisle' (deny it afterwards)

But they didn't hide reaching across the aisle back then. Bipartisians, liberal, and conservative were not bad words until the 80's.

The difference, as I see it, began when Newt and Atwater showed up on the scene. Up until that time, the GOP seemed content with being a minority party in congress and they played the role of the 'loyal opposition'. Newt and Atwater showed up with the idea that the GOP could (and should) be the majority party and they left no stone unturned in their pursuit of that.

Last edited:

Well said and I completely agree, while CSPAN might have some small effect it's the emergence of talk radio and the 24 hour cable news that has really changed the "climate" the most.

Forum List

Back