crystallized ginger

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
i went to the store...crystallized ginger was 9.99 an oz at lowe's foods....7.99 at walmart..
now you can buy fresh ginger for 2.88 a lb....yes we all see where this is going....i got a recipe and i am making crystallized ginger...i will let yall know how it turns out..

any of yall make anything like this to cut costs?

have you ever tried making cream soda with real vanilla extract? it's a pretty neat lesson about how much sugar is in soda to show your kids or grandkids.

have you ever tried making cream soda with real vanilla extract? it's a pretty neat lesson about how much sugar is in soda to show your kids or grandkids.

nope, but i've made homemade eggnog with it. my wife was horrified because of the raw eggs. the cup of sugar flew under the radar.
i like a good cream soda myself, i'll give it a whirl.

and I'm with your wife on the eggnog. fuck a whole bunch of raw eggs in a beverage.

man shogun you hating on the eggnog...what are you? just an old fuck?

cream soda..i have never thought of making it....i make my own vanilla as well..why buy that crappy stuff when you can make a bottle that will last forever...you just have to add vodka as you use it...

i buy local eggs when i can...i use a lot of recipes that call for raw or nearly raw eggs...

Egg nog not only has the consistency of a glass of snot but, come on people... RAW EGGS? YUK.

you can make rootbeer and orange and grape soda much the same way as cream. Like I said, it's interesting if for the simple example of how much sugar goes into soda which, in this obese days and age, might be a good lesson to pass on to the younger mountain dew drinkers you may know.

never let kids drink mt dew....they will get dew mouth...for some reason it rots teeth faster than stomach acids...

update on home made crystallized ginger:

i think i may have used too much suger in the cooking step...i was suppose to weight the cooked ginger and then weigh and equal amount of sugar...i dont have scales....so i guessed kinda....but it made about 2 oz of cys. ginger...it is useable..not real pretty...kinda carmel colored and the recipe said to let the ginger cool before rolling it in sugar...i may have cooled it too long..now taste..

it if full on ginger..a burst of ginger in the mouth...

i will give my first attempt a C +

I was growing my own hemp to save on costs until the police were kind enough to show me the error of my ways.

Wasn't that kind of them?

Forum List

Back