Cryptic Crosswords

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
Anyone else here play around with them? I've done a couple. They're fun in a masochistic sort of way. Hoping one day I'll have a break through and they'll become easier. No idea how far I am from that breakthrough. (Translation: they're HARD!)

In case you're not familiar with them, they have weird clues. I still remember this one from the first puzzle I ever completed. The clue was "Desserts split by nine elves." The answer was "pixies". Obvious, huh? :doubt: :lol:

Desserts = pies. Split by nine = split by IX, meaning to put IX in the middle of the "pies". So that's pIXies. Which of course are elves! :cool:

Hey, here's that puzzle! Google is great!

The Atlantic | July/August 2001 | The Puzzler

Here's one I'm working on currently. Made a breakthrough and got a few words on it. But I'm stumped again and am gonna put it away for a bit.

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/coma/images/issues/200803u/maypuzzle.pdf

Here's a whole batch of 'em I just found. Don't know yet know what this guy's style is. Guess I will soon.

Kegler’s Kryptics - Block-style Cryptic Crossword Puzzles

Cryptic crossword - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Theresa's Cryptic Crosswords: Solving Guide

Last edited:
one more clue
st-pauls-cathedral-london-gb069.jpg

• Banned
Welllll ... the obvious and therefore likely incorrect answer would be "cathedral".

but I don't know how to get there on both sides of the equation

so I'm not making an official guess yet.

Last edited:
the worst part of these kinds of clues is they are horrible puns and when you figure it out it is time for major facepalm

Forum List

Back