Cry Baby Boycotters

Discussion in 'USMB Op-Eds' started by Peony, Jan 16, 2017.

1. SeaGal

SeaGal Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    So there weren't any Republican members of the House who publicly boycotted Obama's first inauguration after all?

Which Senators?

2. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,437
    I think an inaugural boycott of this proportion is childish - Nancy Pelosi stated it best: "I will be there. I'll be there for the inauguration, yes. That's my responsibility. The wonderful thing about our country, the peaceful transfer of power - and in this case, from one party to the next."

But, like the claim NYT made about Trump's firing of all ambassadors with "no exceptions" by Jan 20th - the implications that this has not been done before - are false. Many Republicans boycotted Obama's 2013 inauguration. In 2009, they attended their own event where they could strategize on how to bring him down and block everything he tried to do.

3. SeaGal

SeaGal Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    There's plenty of room in this country for dissent over policy. But there can be no discussion without correct information as a starting point.

Apparently not even one sitting Republican House member or Republican Senator publicly boycotted in protest Obama's first or second inauguration, or 'echoed' claims that Obama was an illegitimate president post-election. If either of those statements are incorrect, I'd like to see evidence of such.

Having a separate dinner or party doesn't qualify as boycotting the inauguration ceremony - most, if not all, of the balls are by invitation...taking place hours after the inauguration.

I respect that you don't like Trump. But, we have plenty of legitimate problems to confront without the added burden of spreading faux info.

Actually Nancy did the right thing - about time. lol

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Coyote

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,437
    I agree. But, part of the "real" (as opposed to faux) info is that members of the opposing party HAVE not attended the inaugeration of the new president. Whether they do it quietly or publicaly - the act is the same and pretending, as some are, that it's never been done before is not true.

I'll agree it has never been done so publicly and largely, and that is not a good thing. Nor, for that matter was the Republian's act of planning for Obama's legislative defeat the day he entered office. I wonder if the Democrats will follow that now that precedents are set that spiral us downward. We seem to have entered a point at which no one from oppposing sides talks with the other side.

5. SeaGal

SeaGal Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Sitting Republican members of the US House and US Senate did not boycott either of Obama's inaugurations, nor claim he was an illegitimate president post-election - so by definition statements otherwise are false. Moral equivalence is a poor methodology to justify bad behavior - especially if the other behavior did not happen. As for rank and file members of either party - I agree, who cares?

Because tilting at windmills is ever so much more fun. :biggrin:

6. Coyote

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,437
    :lol:

and no shortage of windmills...

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  7. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Apparently, you missed where Obama conceded that the Russians had nothing to do with the leaked emails....and certainly, you must know that NOBODY 'hacked the election'.

Obama Admits Russians Did Not Hack - - Yahoo Video Search Results

8. Muhammed

Muhammed Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Being a compulsive liar seems to be a prerequisite in order to run for office in the Jackass party. I think the Jackass National Committee has some sort of unwritten rule which states that they must to lie to the voters, even if it is for no apparent reason. Seriously, what does Lewis have to gain by lying like that? A congresscritter has no obligation to attend any presidential inauguration ceremonies in the first place, so there is no reason for them to lie about their attendance. They have absolutely nothing to gain by lying about it. There is a term used to describe people who do that. They are called compulsive liars.

It is just like Crooked Hillary lying about dodging sniper fire in Bosnia. What did she have to gain by telling that ridiculous lie while wasting taxpayer money on her unnecessary trip to Bosnia? Nothing. She just lied about it for the sake of lying. She's a typical Jackass party compulsive liar.

Or perhaps telling the truth is very painful for jackasses.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. xband

xband Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,097
    I boycott Target for the simple reason that they banned the American Legion and VFW off their property.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,137
    Didn't read the whole threads but this is certainly not the first time an inauguration was boycotted. The crybabies are the RWNJ Pootarians who believe its okay for them to disrespect the office as well as the man for 8 years but its not okay to just stay home. Fact is, its always the right wing sheeples who gets their panties in a twist, gets all kinds of offended and then bleats that they refuse to be "pc" - which is, of course, just another way of saying they're proud of behaving like assholes.

What to Know About the First Lawmakers to Boycott a Presidential Inauguration
    A nation of dissent: The most famous inaugural protests in U.S. history

I've always questioned the efficacy of boycotting but IMO, the real reason to boycott anything is to be true to one's self.

There's a point to be made that this is more a celebration of the peaceful transition of power but an even bigger point is that its our right. Like it or not, this isn't N Korea (yet) and no one is required to bow down to King TrumpleThinSkin. For now, you'll just have to deal with that. The bright side is you can be just as vocal as you want cuz, like I said, this ain't N Korea.

See how that works?