Crowd jeers eliminated U.S. team with chants of `Osama!'

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
** I hope these classless scumbags die. The US team and their administration should be applauded for the way they handled themselves **

GUADALAJARA, Mexico (AP) -- The boos nearly drowned out ``The Star-Spangled Banner,'' and a few dozen fans chanted ``Osama! Osama!'' as the United States was eliminated by Mexico in Olympic men's soccer qualifying.

A loud anti-American crowd hollered as Mexico beat the United States 4-0 Tuesday night in the under-23 tournament, claiming a berth in the Athens Olympics.

As U.S. players left the stadium for their bus, several fans -- some clutching beers -- chanted ``Osama! Osama!'' in reference to al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

``It's better than having things thrown at you,'' U.S. Soccer Federation president Bob Contiguglia said Wednesday after returning to Colorado Springs, Colo. ``I was bothered by the whistling during the national anthem. It's just the way it is. You accept it. Our kids showed a lot of dignity. They didn't do silly things on the field.''

Police in riot gear held back the crowd and urged people to calm down.

``I think the fans here in Mexico are terrific; I think their patriotism and support of their team is terrific,'' U.S. coach Glenn Myernick said. ``But unless I missed something, not one of them came down on the field and kicked the ball. We were beaten by a better football team tonight, not by the fans.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/oly/news;_y...A--?slug=ap-us-mexicosoccer&prov=ap&type=lgns