Cross your fingers, part 2...

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
This is about my last opportunity before really bad things start to happen, like a domino effect I'm afraid.

I have a great opportunity that I'll be interviewing for tomorrow and hopefully they won't detect just how much I need this job. No place to go as of the 31st, not much $$ to speak of at all, divorce pending, don't want to be away from son...

This opportunity is with another law firm, apparently my resume screams out for the law field when read. I'm down to the final 6 and I'm meeting with them at 10am tomorrow. They made what I thought was a strange request though that had me nervous:

The position we have available with a law firm requires excellent organization and documentation skills. Please bring examples of documentation, policies and procedures, checklists, or other documents which demonstrate your penchant for neatness and organization.

Although I've done tons of that type of documentation over the years, who the hell ever keeps that stuff and brings it home? Luckily for me my buddy at my last place of employment just FTP'd me about 50meg of zipped documents covering all of those aspects. In reality, a ton of them were written by me over the past couple of years, but I may borrow a few too. :)

This is a really scary time for me. I'm fearing that everything I have worked so hard for in the past 10-15 years is about to be flushed leaving me on the side of the road like a recent high school grad.

Hopefully this one will finally go my way...

Fuck you, Murphy's Law, and stay away from me for at least one damn day!

jimnyc said:
This is about my last opportunity before really bad things start to happen, like a domino effect I'm afraid.

I have a great opportunity that I'll be interviewing for tomorrow and hopefully they won't detect just how much I need this job. No place to go as of the 31st, not much $$ to speak of at all, divorce pending, don't want to be away from son...

This opportunity is with another law firm, apparently my resume screams out for the law field when read. I'm down to the final 6 and I'm meeting with them at 10am tomorrow. They made what I thought was a strange request though that had me nervous:

Although I've done tons of that type of documentation over the years, who the hell ever keeps that stuff and brings it home? Luckily for me my buddy at my last place of employment just FTP'd me about 50meg of zipped documents covering all of those aspects. In reality, a ton of them were written by me over the past couple of years, but I may borrow a few too. :)

This is a really scary time for me. I'm fearing that everything I have worked so hard for in the past 10-15 years is about to be flushed leaving me on the side of the road like a recent high school grad.

Hopefully this one will finally go my way...

Fuck you, Murphy's Law, and stay away from me for at least one damn day!

best of luck!

Jim, if there is any identifying information about other companies, etc., in those docs, it would be good to redact it. You wouldn't want the firm to think you aren't careful about confidentiality.

I really hope you get this job. :) :beer:

Abbey Normal said:
Jim, if there is any identifying information about other companies, etc., in those docs, it would be good to redact it. You wouldn't want the firm to think you aren't careful about confidentiality.

I really hope you get this job. :) :beer:

I'm going through that as we speak. Most are just documentation of typical software installations, inventory prep sheets & checklists, excel sheets dealing with inventory... Those that I plan on bringing along will be edited to remove any company info and/or logos, as well as any actual inventory.

Thanks!

Jim it's gonna break and it will be good! Even bad runs can last only so long, really!

Been up literally most of the night stressing and worrying, studying, analyzing documents... Of course coffee helped a little bit! :cof:

I'm about to leave and I feel like I'm about to throw up. Shaky, sweaty.. but I look good in my new suit!

If these fuckers don't hire me they should at least compensate me for the hell they've put me through! :)

On my way...

jimnyc said:
Been up literally most of the night stressing and worrying, studying, analyzing documents... Of course coffee helped a little bit! :cof:

I'm about to leave and I feel like I'm about to throw up. Shaky, sweaty.. but I look good in my new suit!

If these fuckers don't hire me they should at least compensate me for the hell they've put me through! :)

On my way...

Proverbial fingers are crossed. :)

jimnyc said:

On my way...

We're all pulling for you!!!!

You'll do great...I guarantee it.

Well, I'm back and I have a migraine headache now! I had better land this job.

I must say, that in 15+ years in the business this was the best I have ever 'performed' at an interview. Clothes looked good and no dog or kitty hair to be seen. Didn't smoke after my shower and ate 300 mints just in case!

I met with 3 guys in a conference room, all of them opposite me grilling me with technical questions and background information. I nailed each and every question without hesitation. My documentation was presented professionally and they were quite impressed with my installation/troubleshooting/FAQ/inventory type guides. I ultimately decided to only present those that I actually wrote but it was still over 100 pages of documentation. I completely won them over with my desktop and network administration skills and even added a little network room talk (maintenance, builds, security, backups...) to show them that I was the only one for this position.

We discussed compensation, standards of practice, possible start dates...

We all also got along in a joking manner a few times. I didn't wanto to come of as stuffy so of course I threw a few racial jokes out there to lighten the mood. j/k!

I feel very positive about this one. They told me point black that they would have an answer for me come Monday.

I'm prepping the refrigerator box lined with blankets just in case... :)

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
jimnyc said:

I must say, that in 15+ years in the business this was the best I have ever 'performed' at an interview. Clothes looked good and no dog or kitty hair to be seen. Didn't smoke after my shower and ate 300 mints just in case!

I met with 3 guys in a conference room, all of them opposite me grilling me with technical questions and background information. I nailed each and every question without hesitation. My documentation was presented professionally and they were quite impressed with my installation/troubleshooting/FAQ/inventory type guides. I ultimately decided to only present those that I actually wrote but it was still over 100 pages of documentation. I completely won them over with my desktop and network administration skills and even added a little network room talk (maintenance, builds, security, backups...) to show them that I was the only one for this position.

We all also got along in a joking manner a few times. I didn't wanto to come of as stuffy so of course I threw a few racial jokes out there to lighten the mood. j/k!

I feel very positive about this one. They told me point black that they would have an answer for me come Monday.

WORD!

and dude - you can stay a few weeks with me, if you need a place to crash. :p: Would be a helluva commute though.

jimnyc said:

Wow, sounds like you kicked ass! I don't know, I have a feeling............ :teeth:

You totally impressed them, I'm surprised they didn't offer you a position on the spot.

Just get ready to meet new people....

And you know how the untechnical can seem.

:scratch:

Said1 said:
Wow, sounds like you kicked ass! I don't know, I have a feeling............ :teeth:

Yeah, what Said said!

Jim, even if you don't get this one for some reason, you know for next time that you had a great interview and that you are a catch. :rock:

hey Jim...stuff happens for a reason. I had a REALLY bad month last July. Not one week went by that something bad didn't happen. I think I posted here about it. Even Tim agreed that July was horrible. Then, things got better. We hit another bad month (sort of) in December, but it was not nearly as bad as July.

it is likely that the last interview that went like it did, and the fact that you were misinformed about the schedule, because this job was waiting for you.

hang in there!

if Tim and I didn't live halfway across the country, we would offer you a place to stay-no charge other than helping us remodel the basement. Not much left to do other than take down the wall paneling/wainscot and put up drywall including taping, sanding and painting, then carpet and then moving all the office stuff that is upstairs to downstairs. :thup:

Forum List

Back