Crony Capitalism in Illinois

Wiseacre

Retired USAF Chief
Apr 8, 2011
San Antonio, TX
There's a piece in today's WSJ about this, as you may know the democrat governor and democrat controlled legislature there passed a big tax increase on businesses and individuals there some months ago. So now several of their biggest companies (and campaign contributors) are threatening to leave the state, mostly to bordering states that have a friendlier business climate.

We're talking about the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Chicago Board of Trade, Caterpillar, Sears, Boeing, all with large footprints and jobs and all talking about leaving. So what do the dems do? Sometimes next week they will vote on and likely pass a measure to give the big boys more tax breaks to remain in Illinois, above and beyond what they already have.

Now some might complain about these very profitable companies acting in such a way; but the big corps do have a responsibilityto their shareholders to maximize profits, and if the state gov't in Illinois is making them less profitable or harder to do business then it is their right and duty to move elsewhere.

The real villains here are the democrats for raising taxes in the first place, driving businesses out of the state. And now they're about to give more tax breaks to the wealthiest companies, at the expense of the little guys struggling to keep going. You tell me, would you start a business in Illinois? I wouldn't. Hard to see how the dems can point fingers when their side is doing this crap.

Last edited:
There's a piece in today's WSJ about this, as you may know the democrat governor and democrat controlled legislature there passed a big tax increase on businesses and individuals there some months ago. So now several of their biggest companies (and campaign contributors) are threatening to leave the state, mostly to bordering states that have a friendlier business climate.

We're talking about the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Chicago Board of Trade, Caterpillar, Sears, Boeing, all with large footprints and jobs and all talking about leaving. So what do the dems do? Sometimes next week they will vote on and likely pass a measure to give the big boys more tax breaks to remain in Illinois, above and beyond what they already have.

Now some might complain about these very profitable companies acting in such a way; but the big corps do have a responsibilityto their shareholders to maximize profits, and if the state gov't in Illinois is making them less profitable or harder to do business then it is their right and duty to move elsewhere.

The real villains here are the democrats for raising taxes in the first place, driving businesses out of the state. And now they're about to give more tax breaks to the wealthiest companies, at the expense of the little guys struggling to keep going. You tell me, would you start a business in Illinois? I wouldn't. Hard to see how the dems can point fingers when their side is doing this crap.

Nope. I wouldn't start a business in ILL.

If I had one in ILL I'd be moving it.

Forum List

Back