Crocodile Tears

manu1959 said:
probable cause is allowed by the constitution and the constitution does not protect foreign combatants

Even if it did, the very fact that they are foreign combatants gives us probable cause to listen to them.

MissileMan said:
The law protects citizens from unreasonable searches. I find the actions of the administration very reasonable under the circumstances. I would consider it unreasonable for the feds to not do everything necessary to protect us.

Yes, most people would completely agree. However, Democrats cant hurt Bush with that reasoning.

Bullypulpit said:
The domestic spying operation isn't really about "foreign combatants" now, is it? It's about the POTUS taking the law into his own hands...It's about unchecked presidential power. Do you really want the President to be a law unto himself? Would you really want Hillary Clinton to have such unbridled power? I know I wouldn't.

Bill Clinton and even worse Jimmy Carter have already exercised such power. The country hasn't fallen apart.

Contrary to your belief, the executive power has full power to gather intelligence to wage a war. your argument makes absolutely no sense. If we follow your logic, the Constitution authorizes the President to bomb the crap out of them but not listen to their phone conversations. On what planet is that rational?

The fact is it is Congress that is overstepping their bounds. They have no oversight over the executive committee. any attempts to do so is a usurpation of the Constitution.

Well if you could tell me where the Constitution says that the President does not have authority to gather intelligence on terrorists threatening to destroy the country ill agree with you.

He does have the authority to gather intel, but it must be within the framework of the Constitution and federal law. Neither he, nor any other member of the government, is above the law.

Bullypulpit said:
He does have the authority to gather intel, but it must be within the framework of the Constitution and federal law. Neither he, nor any other member of the government, is above the law.

There isn't a law against the President gathering intelligence through listening to the phone conversations of suspected terrorists.

Forum List

Back