‘critical thinking’ assignment led at least 50 students to conclude Holocaust never o

Status
Not open for further replies.

warwulf

Rookie
Jun 29, 2014
Now THIS is funny!

SHOCK: District’s ‘critical thinking’ assignment led at least 50 students to conclude Holocaust never occurred

RIALTO, Calif. – An eighth-grade English assignment that was meant to develop students’ critical thinking skills has, instead, created some 50 new Holocaust deniers.

In May, Rialto Unified School District leaders came under intense criticism after it was revealed the district’s roughly 2,000 eighth-grade students were given an in-class essay assignment in which they were asked to consider if the Holocaust was “an actual historical event” or if it might have been “a propaganda tool that was used for political and monetary gain.”concentration camp

Students were directed to “research” the issue and take a position on it, supporting their conclusion with “textual evidence” – printouts of information culled from three websites, one of which was a Holocaust denial site.

When news of the assignment broke, Rialto Unified school officials attempted to soothe angry community members by stating that none of the students actually argued that the Holocaust did not occur.

But an investigation by Los Angeles Daily News proves otherwise.

The Los Angeles Daily News asked for and received copies of the student essays, and had staff members read through them. The staffers found “at least 50 essays (that) denied or doubted the Holocaust occurred.”

“Even many students who agreed the Holocaust occurred said there were good reasons to believe it had not or that elements of the historical record were actually hoaxes,” the Daily News reports.

The paper provides several chilling excerpts.

One student declared there was no way the Holocaust occurred because the Nazis “would have had to have killed 187 people an hour in order to kill 6 million people. Therefore it is impossible.”

Another flatly asserted that the Holocaust is “a profitable hoax made by the Jews to obtain land, money and power.”

One student concluded: “With the evidence that was given to me, it clearly was obvious” that the Holocaust never occurred “and I wouldn’t know why anyone would think otherwise.”

Several students based their skepticism on arguments put forth by discredited Holocaust denier Fred A. Leuchter, who has argued the Nazis never used gas chambers to kill Jews.

One student wrote that if the Nazis “would have even experimented these so called gas chambers the Nazis would have died also, so I do not believe in gas chambers.”

Another made a similar argument: “if gassing would have occurred everyone (nearby) would have died, because the floors had cracks in the floor and holes in the wall.”

Still another asserted “there is no significant cyanide traces in any of the alleged gas chambers. So any open minded person can easily be persuaded to believe that the gassings were a Hoax.”

Some students even used the “evidence” provided by their teachers to declare that “The Diary of Anne Frank” – the first-hand account of Nazi atrocities that students had been assigned to read earlier – was a fraud.

Perhaps the most troubling aspect of this assignment is that some Rialto teachers praised Holocaust denying students for their well-reasoned arguments, as determined by comments found on the student essays examined by Daily News staffers.

“You did well using the evidence to support your claim,” one teacher wrote to a student who had concluded the Holocaust “was a fake” and a “hoax.”

Even though it has now been exposed that several dozen Rialto students were turned into Holocaust deniers by this assignment, district officials are still refusing to identify the educators responsible for creating the lesson. Officials won’t even say whether or not the responsible parties have been – or will be – disciplined.

Rialto Unified officials have apologized for the assignment and pledge that it won’t be used again. The southern California district also attempted to undo some of the damage by sending its eighth-graders to the Museum of Tolerance.

But Neal Fialkow, a Pasadena attorney who has reviewed the students’ essays, is still troubled by the entire incident.

“When you took a look at the way the assignment is created and written, it causes all of these impressionable children to start their essays with ‘in my opinion, the Holocaust did exist,’” Fialkow told the Daily News. “So it puts in the seed of doubt.”

Source: EAGnews.org

It sounds like a great lesson but it needs a second and a third and maybe even fourth and fifth lessons. For the first time some of those students might have been exposed to school-lessons beyond the cherry tree incident. How close to the truth can we come with the use of history? How skeptical or critical should students be with history?
How critical are we on these boards with historical truth? Why do some get excited if schools begin teaching students that all the truths they are exposed to in life may, or may not, be true?

Good for them, not to believe the exaggerated propaganda. All the news and newspapers were Jewish owned, we have all be fed a pack of biased lies. Also the ency Britannica.

The right gave up academia for business and other areas to pursue. Thats what we pay for now they abandoned education when thats what they should have been involved in. I say now conservatives should be teachers we need to fight for our place in educating America.

So why aren't there more conservatives teaching? And as for teaching history would conservatives become more liberal as they learn history?

It sounds like a great lesson but it needs a second and a third and maybe even fourth and fifth lessons. For the first time some of those students might have been exposed to school-lessons beyond the cherry tree incident. How close to the truth can we come with the use of history? How skeptical or critical should students be with history?
How critical are we on these boards with historical truth? Why do some get excited if schools begin teaching students that all the truths they are exposed to in life may, or may not, be true?

Why not just teach them history, instead of lauding them for making up their own. You can teach a child to think without pushing an agenda.
It's to soon to indoctrinate our children into believing that the Holocaust never happened, and that all nations should rise up against Israel. You have to wait until all of the non-Jewish eyewitnesses and vets aren't here to confirm that it did.

Last edited:

Why not just teach them history, instead of lauding them for making up their own. You can teach a child to think without pushing an agenda.
It's to soon to indoctrinate our children into believing that the Holocaust never happened, and that all nations should rise up against Israel. You have to wait until all of the non-Jewish eyewitnesses and vets aren't here to confirm that it did.

Should there be a use of history beyond memorization? Think of the millions of events taking place in the world today, all history, but how many of those millions of events will go into the history books and if so, why?

some probably just cripped stuff from the first website they clicked on.

When I was in HS, we had to do book reports in class. We had a list of about 50 to choose from. I waited until the last minute and then picked the shortest book I could find which was on some Indian Chief I had never heard of before or since. The day I did mine, everybody had basically given some generic positive "well-written and informative" review like I had planned and I was last, so on a whim and for fun, I trashed the book on the fly.

My teacher had this shocked look on her face and got all hot about it. Apparently whoever it was had been a very important Indian Chief, the book was the primary scholarly authority on him, and my teacher was a huge fan of the book, the author, and the Indian Chief. I held my own and was saved by the bell. She just told me "You really need to read that book again because you couldn't be more wrong" Still got an A on the assignment though.

So why aren't there more conservatives teaching? And as for teaching history would conservatives become more liberal as they learn history?

Would liberals become more conservative as they learned to understand history?

Would liberals become more conservative as they learned to understand history?

So have any studies been done to see the effect of learning history on one's political ideology?
The only evidence presented on these boards is the charge that historians are liberal. If that is true, do historians begin their study of history with a liberal bias, or do they become liberal by studying history? If you studied history would you become more conservative?

If you studied history would you become more conservative?

I have studied history and it has not altered my political orientation at all.

So are you offering that as evidence that the study of history does not make a person liberal?

Leftist techniques of indoctrimation can influence the more simple minded and naive students. So in essence the more impressionable and naive the student is , the greater the success rate of Liberal Indoctrination would be.

Considering that I have known people that have denied the Holocaust since I was a kid 50 years ago, I don't think it has a damn thing to do with liberalism, public schools or conservative ideals....

So 50 out of 2000 8th graders are lazy and or gulible? So what?

2.5% of these students got it wrong?

Leave it to the Jews to freak out over just about NOTHING !!!!

The Story COULD have been reported that 97.5% of the 8th graders are convinced the holocost was real.. BUT NO ... More evidense that Jews are irrational whiney bitches...

Losers.

If you studied history would you become more conservative?

I have studied history and it has not altered my political orientation at all.

So are you offering that as evidence that the study of history does not make a person liberal?

Yeah, it's good enough evidence for myself....Since I was a history major in college...and at home...and vote for both parties when merited...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back