Criminals will have them anyways

Wacky Quacky

Gold Member
May 16, 2011
This ins't a debate over gun control, this is a debate over the argument that gun control is pointless because criminals won't follow the law.

It seems like a flawed argument to me, and one that is a very slippery slope. If there's no point because criminals won't obey the law then why bother with other laws?

Drug laws. People still use drugs.
Speeding laws. People still speed.
Domestic violence laws. People still beat their spouse.
Copyright laws. Software pirating is running rampant.

Wouldn't these laws fall under the same category that they're pointless because they're not working? Criminals obviously aren't obeying them. What laws are we willing to scrap because they're seemingly ineffective? Are we really willing to say that once a criminal activity reaches a certain level we might as well just legalize it?

I'm all for responsible gun ownership, and plan to own an AR-15 one day (once I get that much cash to blow). But a lot of the arguments that are coming from the gun rights advocates don't make a lot of sense to me.

I don't recall seeing drugs, speeding, etc protected in the US Constitution.

Banning guns because of criminals and insane people are the ones misusing the guns is like punishing a class of students because 1-2 students are a piece of shit. So every student gets detention because Johnny shit in the teacher's purse....eh?

This ins't a debate over gun control, this is a debate over the argument that gun control is pointless because criminals won't follow the law.

It is a silly argument. Esp since all of us are criminals who break laws every day.

Yep. And, according to the rw sheeples, this is a very good reason to just roll over let the terrorists, illegals, mentally ill and criminals keep right on buying anything they want.

It seems like a flawed argument to me, and one that is a very slippery slope. If there's no point because criminals won't obey the law then why bother with other laws?

Drug laws. People still use drugs.
Speeding laws. People still speed.
Domestic violence laws. People still beat their spouse.
Copyright laws. Software pirating is running rampant.

Wouldn't these laws fall under the same category that they're pointless because they're not working? Criminals obviously aren't obeying them. What laws are we willing to scrap because they're seemingly ineffective? Are we really willing to say that once a criminal activity reaches a certain level we might as well just legalize it?

I'm all for responsible gun ownership, and plan to own an AR-15 one day (once I get that much cash to blow). But a lot of the arguments that are coming from the gun rights advocates don't make a lot of sense to me.

Gun control laws immediately put every unarmed person at the dubious mercy of the criminal. Gun control laws disarm only the law abiding. There was a reason why guns were once known as equalizers.

Forum List

Back