Criminalizing Poverty During Economic Crisis, New Laws Crack Down on America's Poor

hvactec

VIP Member
Jan 17, 2010
New Jersey
Homeless
'The number of laws criminalizing poverty increased during the recession as the housing and homelessness crisis in America worsened.

Since 2006, there's been a 7 percent increase in laws prohibiting camping out in public places, an 11 percent increase in laws prohibiting loitering, a 6 percent increase in laws prohibiting begging and a 5 percent increase in laws prohibiting aggressive panhandling, according to a recent report by The National Coalition for the Homeless.'
read more Criminalizing Poverty: During Economic Crisis, New Laws Crack Down on America's Poor, Homeless - David Icke Website

Homeless
'The number of laws criminalizing poverty increased during the recession as the housing and homelessness crisis in America worsened.

Since 2006, there's been a 7 percent increase in laws prohibiting camping out in public places, an 11 percent increase in laws prohibiting loitering, a 6 percent increase in laws prohibiting begging and a 5 percent increase in laws prohibiting aggressive panhandling, according to a recent report by The National Coalition for the Homeless.'
read more Criminalizing Poverty: During Economic Crisis, New Laws Crack Down on America's Poor, Homeless - David Icke Website
Soooooooooo, what's the problem with laws being enforced?

Homeless

Comprehension problem? The article is about NEW LAWS.

Homeless

Comprehension problem?.......Where's the new law criminalizing poverty?

I don't see any new law that says poverty is a criminal act.

I sometimes wonder what I would do to survive if I lost the ability to earn a living or live on my pension.

The prospect is terrifying for the elderly or sick who can't do for themselves. Your become prey, life is full of tension, the weather is formidable, sickness invades your body, malnutrition, hopelessness, lack of mobility, dependence on charity, and so on.

It's obvious to me that the laws quoted above are made to protect the quality of life for it's earning citizens, not just the rich but residential, business and recreation areas.

Do what's needed for your security when your young because when your older it's many times impossible.

I deliver food to poor elderly shut-ins but must have an address. The squalor is nauseating, many of our workers will man the food bank for walk-ins but will not deliver to residences because conditions are so bad.

Most are elderly women without any or very little financial means. Little to no utilities running. clap trap
housing.

Agencies that give help are church's, city governments and food banks.

America is a giving nation but with the break up of so many families the charity system is stretched thin.

On the other hand I do see many who try to live off of charity when they are able to work. Young adults but as they grow older life will not treat them kindly.

The beat goes on.........

Comprehension problem?.......Where's the new law criminalizing poverty?

I don't see any new law that says poverty is a criminal act.

You didn't see that we weren't talking about enforcement. Now you don't see the new laws. I''l bet you do see "death panels", however. Selective blindness?

Homeless

The link is to David Ike.com... LOL the guy who believes in reptilians? :lol::lol::lol:

Regardless, the homeless have options, they all too often choose to be homeless more than not. There is help out there for people who want it, in fact the liberals are always patting themselves on the back for their kindness and generosity. Welfare will help those people they just have to go and do it themselves. There are shelters in nearly every major city. Homelessness is a mental/social problem as well as a financial one.

Homeless

The link is to David Ike.com... LOL the guy who believes in reptilians? :lol::lol::lol:

Regardless, the homeless have options, they all too often choose to be homeless more than not. There is help out there for people who want it, in fact the liberals are always patting themselves on the back for their kindness and generosity. Welfare will help those people they just have to go and do it themselves. There are shelters in nearly every major city. Homelessness is a mental/social problem as well as a financial one.

What a load of bollocks

I sometimes wonder what I would do to survive if I lost the ability to earn a living or live on my pension.

The prospect is terrifying for the elderly or sick who can't do for themselves. Your become prey, life is full of tension, the weather is formidable, sickness invades your body, malnutrition, hopelessness, lack of mobility, dependence on charity, and so on.

It's obvious to me that the laws quoted above are made to protect the quality of life for it's earning citizens, not just the rich but residential, business and recreation areas.

Do what's needed for your security when your young because when your older it's many times impossible.

I deliver food to poor elderly shut-ins but must have an address. The squalor is nauseating, many of our workers will man the food bank for walk-ins but will not deliver to residences because conditions are so bad.

Most are elderly women without any or very little financial means. Little to no utilities running. clap trap
housing.

America is a giving nation but with the break up of so many families the charity system is stretched thin.

On the other hand I do see many who try to live off of charity when they are able to work. Young adults but as they grow older life will not treat them kindly.

Charity is the worst thing you can give. Sometimes a necessary evil, but in the long run, the wrong policy.

Instead, we need education and jobs programs. We need to rebuild the American infrastructure.

This is why Republicans must be defeated. They are against these things and crow about their "charity".

housing.

Charity is the worst thing you can give. Sometimes a necessary evil, but in the long run, the wrong policy.

Instead, we need education and jobs programs. We need to rebuild the American infrastructure.

This is why Republicans must be defeated. They are against these things and crow about their "charity".

Charity bad, welfare good.

You liberals are a stupid lot!

Homeless

What a load of bollocks

OF course it is, why no one would CHOOSE to be homeless.... I mean going to get help is just soo embarrassing. Yeah I made up the part about shelters and welfare, and all of it cause im crazy like that... But whats all the welfare money for then? If they aren't getting any of it seems like a waste...

I lived in D.C. for a few years back in the early 90's/late 80's. Got to deal with a great many homeless people and even saw shelters for them, and how much help they can get if they choose to take it. We had a guy who lived behind the mall in Laurel. Every day he was asked not to sleep there or bother people. Yet everyday he would harass people for money and spend his evenings drunk on the cheap wine he managed to get enough change for that day until he would pass out behind a dumpster.

Now you may say he was a victim of alcoholism, but I say he was not a victim but a willing accomplice. And I can tell you there are more homeless out there by their own choices, than most people would believe. To you or I the idea seems so out of whack that you want to think they had no choice, but that is the thinking of a person that is in the very least stable, where as a great many homeless are not so their reasoning will not be the same as ours.

If it makes you mad or upsets your liberal "save everyone" mentality I am sorry but its how it is.

housing.

The saddest part that these tea party 'patriots' and 'compassionate' conservatives ignore:

j0402731.jpg

Homeless in America: 1 in 4 are Vets

How many homeless veterans are there?

Although flawless counts are impossible to come by – the transient nature of homeless populations presents a major difficulty – VA estimates that 107,000 veterans are homeless on any given night. Over the course of a year, approximately twice that many experience homelessness. Only eight percent of the general population can claim veteran status, but nearly one-fifth of the homeless population are veterans.

About 1.5 million other veterans, meanwhile, are considered at risk of homelessness due to poverty, lack of support networks, and dismal living conditions in overcrowded or substandard housing.

23% of the homeless population are veterans
33% of the male homeless population are veterans
47% served Vietnam-era
17% served post-Vietnam
15% served pre-Vietnam
67% served three or more years
33% were stationed in war zone
25% have used VA homeless services
85% completed high school/GED, compared to 56% of non-veterans
89% received an honorable discharge
79% reside in central cities
16% reside in suburban areas
5% reside in rural areas
76% experience alcohol, drug or mental health problems
46% are white males, compared to 34% of non-veterans
46% are age 45 or older, compared to 20% non-veterans

Service needs cited include:

45% need help finding a job
37% need help finding housing

National Coalition for Homeless Veterans - Background & Statistics

housing.

The saddest part that these tea party 'patriots' and 'compassionate' conservatives ignore:

j0402731.jpg

Although flawless counts are impossible to come by – the transient nature of homeless populations presents a major difficulty – VA estimates that 107,000 veterans are homeless on any given night. Over the course of a year, approximately twice that many experience homelessness. Only eight percent of the general population can claim veteran status, but nearly one-fifth of the homeless population are veterans.

About 1.5 million other veterans, meanwhile, are considered at risk of homelessness due to poverty, lack of support networks, and dismal living conditions in overcrowded or substandard housing.

47% served Vietnam-era
17% served post-Vietnam
15% served pre-Vietnam
5% reside in rural areas

As much as I feel for any veteran and see this as a tragedy. I have to point out some numbers that help my contention earlier..

"76% experience alcohol, drug or mental health problems"

Exactly... You can blame the country or rich people, or conservatives, any body you dam well please, but that right there tells you its more often than not a drug/alcohol/mental problem. Which was the point I raised earlier.

If 76% of the homeless vets are there for drugs, alcohol or a mental problem, than it stands to good reason that number will hold true across the general population of homeless as well.

Poverty, especially abject poverty, is a crime in this nation.

OH the crimes that the abjectly poor commit aren't called the crime of poverty, but it's their poverty that makes them criminals.

What is the crime of vagrancy except another name for the crime of poverty?

housing.

j0402731.jpg

47% served Vietnam-era
17% served post-Vietnam
15% served pre-Vietnam
5% reside in rural areas

As much as I feel for any veteran and see this as a tragedy. I have to point out some numbers that help my contention earlier..

Exactly... You can blame the country or rich people, or conservatives, any body you dam well please, but that right there tells you its more often than not a drug/alcohol/mental problem. Which was the point I raised earlier.

If 76% of the homeless vets are there for drugs, alcohol or a mental problem, than it stands to good reason that number will hold true across the general population of homeless as well.

Glean what you need to dismiss some group of human beings. It IS the core of conservatism.

housing.

Charity bad, welfare good.

You liberals are a stupid lot!

Stupid shit. Welfare IS charity.

housing.

j0402731.jpg

47% served Vietnam-era
17% served post-Vietnam
15% served pre-Vietnam
5% reside in rural areas

Possibly not. Being a veteran, I can say there is a huge difference between living in the military where your life is very structured. Not to mention those that have actually been involved in war. Remember, when veterans returned from WWII, there came back to a very supportive country. Some anti war protesters actually spit on our returning soldiers from Vietnam.

And who do they trust? Republicans hammer them with "Don't trust the Democrats". Then look at Republican policies:

While no one would argue that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are stretching the Department of Veterans Affairs' resources close to the breaking point, Sen. McCain's suggestion yesterday that we ration veterans' health care to "concentrate" on people with wounds that "are a direct result of combat" is dangerously wrongheaded.

VetVoice:: Sen. McCain: Which Veterans' Benefits Should We Cut?

Tom Coburn on veterans health care. Remember, he is talking about veterans:

“Nobody in the country, as a single person working 20 years for the government, should be able to get health care for $250 a year. Nobody was ever promised that, and nobody should be able to do that.”

Instead, he wants to increase the enrollment fee for single retirees to “approximately $2,000 per year and $3,500 for a family.” At the same time he would limit out-of-pocket expenses at $7,500 for those retirees with families.

Tom Coburn’s cuts: Military’s Tricare Prime health care program targeted - The Washington Post

housing.

got a link to that?.....

Forum List

Back