Criminalizing Lust?

is it a crime ?

Yes.

Should it be? That's a question for discussion.

... for discussion.

it was actually a rhetorical question in reference to religious dogma rather than secularism ... obviously discussion is not what the OP has in mind.

So....you read minds?

Why would you consider my informed opinion outside the realm of discussion?

You aren't afraid of other analyses....are you?

Just the word "lust" puts the topic into a negative light. In this particular conversation I'd like to call it desire for now. I believe...
1. Desire to reproduce is directly hardwired into the brain. This means at puberty every child begins getting these feelings. We need to accept that this begins at an early age 12-14 years. No wish in the world will make it come at a later age, so we had better learn to deal with it. Basically we are all animals as untasteful as that is to some of us.
2. This is not a difficult conversation to have with your children if you have done your job as a parent. If not, you get what we got now with our sex education in schools. It's not the schools place nor is it their job to teach that in class.
3. The criminalization of desire/lust is societies way of trying to combat and control human behavior for religious and secular reasons.
4. Should these desires be criminalized? I say absolutely not. You can not legislate morality it never works. All we can do is enforce the laws we have. When desire crosses the line and becomes criminal assault then and only then can we legally do something.

Just the word "lust" puts the topic into a negative light. In this particular conversation I'd like to call it desire for now. I believe...
1. Desire to reproduce is directly hardwired into the brain. This means at puberty every child begins getting these feelings. We need to accept that this begins at an early age 12-14 years. No wish in the world will make it come at a later age, so we had better learn to deal with it. Basically we are all animals as untasteful as that is to some of us.
2. This is not a difficult conversation to have with your children if you have done your job as a parent. If not, you get what we got now with our sex education in schools. It's not the schools place nor is it their job to teach that in class.
3. The criminalization of desire/lust is societies way of trying to combat and control human behavior for religious and secular reasons.
4. Should these desires be criminalized? I say absolutely not. You can not legislate morality it never works. All we can do is enforce the laws we have. When desire crosses the line and becomes criminal assault then and only then can we legally do something.

1."Just the word "lust" puts the topic into a negative light."

You read the OP....item #4: The phrase is directly quoted from the Strauss-Kahn legal defense.

2. "You can not legislate morality it never works."

You couldn't be more incorrect.

The Bible did exactly that, and it is the basis of the advances of Western civilization...

1. “Societies that did not place boundaries around sexuality were stymied in their development. The subsequent dominance of the Western world can largely be attributed to the sexual revolution initiated by Judaism and later carried forward by Christianity.

2. This revolution consisted of forcing the sexual genie into the marital bottle. It ensured that sex no longer dominated society, heightened male-female love and sexuality (and thereby almost alone created the possibility of love and eroticism within marriage), and began the arduous task of elevating the status of women.

3.…the first thing Judaism did was to de-sexualize God: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" by his will, not through any sexual behavior. This was an utterly radical break with all other religions, and it alone changed human history. The gods of virtually all civilizations engaged in sexual relations. In the Near East, the Babylonian god Ishtar seduced a man, Gilgamesh, the Babylonian hero. In Egyptian religion, the god Osiris had sexual relations with his sister, the goddess Isis, and she conceived the god Horus. In Canaan, El, the chief god, had sex with Asherah. In Hindu belief, the god Krishna was sexually active, having had many wives and pursuing Radha; the god Samba, son of Krishna, seduced mortal women and men. In Greek beliefs, Zeus married Hera, chased women, abducted the beautiful young male, Ganymede, and masturbated at other times; Poseidon married Amphitrite, pursued Demeter, and raped Tantalus. In Rome, the gods sexually pursued both men and women.

4. Judaism placed controls on sexual activity. It could no longer dominate religion and social life. It was to be sanctified --- which in Hebrew means "separated" --- from the world and placed in the home, in the bed of husband and wife. Judaism's restricting of sexual behavior was one of the essential elements that enabled society to progress. Along with ethical monotheism, the revolution begun by the Torah when it declared war on the sexual practices of the world wrought the most far-reaching changes in history."
Judaism's Sexual Revolution: Why Judaism Rejected Homosexuality

The article is as long as it is exceptional.....I hope you have the time to read it.

I wish I could say that I found it, but it was sent to me by another member of the board.

You read the OP....item #4: The phrase is directly quoted from the Strauss-Kahn legal defense.

The Bible did exactly that, and it is the basis of the advances of Western civilization...

1. “Societies that did not place boundaries around sexuality were stymied in their development. The subsequent dominance of the Western world can largely be attributed to the sexual revolution initiated by Judaism and later carried forward by Christianity.

2. This revolution consisted of forcing the sexual genie into the marital bottle. It ensured that sex no longer dominated society, heightened male-female love and sexuality (and thereby almost alone created the possibility of love and eroticism within marriage), and began the arduous task of elevating the status of women.

3.…the first thing Judaism did was to de-sexualize God: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" by his will, not through any sexual behavior. This was an utterly radical break with all other religions, and it alone changed human history. The gods of virtually all civilizations engaged in sexual relations. In the Near East, the Babylonian god Ishtar seduced a man, Gilgamesh, the Babylonian hero. In Egyptian religion, the god Osiris had sexual relations with his sister, the goddess Isis, and she conceived the god Horus. In Canaan, El, the chief god, had sex with Asherah. In Hindu belief, the god Krishna was sexually active, having had many wives and pursuing Radha; the god Samba, son of Krishna, seduced mortal women and men. In Greek beliefs, Zeus married Hera, chased women, abducted the beautiful young male, Ganymede, and masturbated at other times; Poseidon married Amphitrite, pursued Demeter, and raped Tantalus. In Rome, the gods sexually pursued both men and women.

4. Judaism placed controls on sexual activity. It could no longer dominate religion and social life. It was to be sanctified --- which in Hebrew means "separated" --- from the world and placed in the home, in the bed of husband and wife. Judaism's restricting of sexual behavior was one of the essential elements that enabled society to progress. Along with ethical monotheism, the revolution begun by the Torah when it declared war on the sexual practices of the world wrought the most far-reaching changes in history."

The article is as long as it is exceptional.....I hope you have the time to read it.

I wish I could say that I found it, but it was sent to me by another member of the board.

1. where the word came from means nothing, as "I believe" it puts the topic in a negative light.

2. How has outlawing prostitution worked? for the longest time gay sex was outlawed in the bible and society, still is some places I would imagine. Yet gay marraige moves on.

1. where the word came from means nothing, as "I believe" it puts the topic in a negative light.

2. How has outlawing prostitution worked? for the longest time gay sex was outlawed in the bible and society, still is some places I would imagine. Yet gay marraige moves on.

We're really not on the same page, are we.

Be well.

We're really not on the same page, are we.

Be well.

nope, I don't think we are. Maybe next time. :eusa_angel:

the same page, simply incomplete ....

PolC: 3.…the first thing Judaism did was to de-sexualize God: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" by his will, not through any sexual behavior. This was an utterly radical break with all other religions, and it alone changed human history.

.…the first thing Judaism did was to de-sexualize God:

is that possible but for those that would place themselves before God ? -

as Sexuality is as much a part of the Garden as is the Sun.

Forum List

Back