Creepy crawler

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
it camouflaged itself well in yellow...

What is it? Does anyone know?

DSCF1066.jpg

They're the caterpillars that attack my crabapple tree every year leaving the fruit dimpled and very hard to use since you have to cut out the bad stuff.

No idea what kind of moth or butterfly they evolve into. (Some kind ofwWhite moth, I think)

I tried spraying the tree one year but it only encouraged them.

Seriously, I have less damaged fruit when I just let them eat their fill.

I expect the poison I'm using also kills whatever bugs attack the caterpillars, so now I just SHARE that tree with the caterpillers.

Last edited:
They're the caterpillars that attack my crabapple tree every year leaving the fruit dimpled and very hard to use since you have to cut out the bad stuff.

No idea what kind of moth or butterfly they evolve into. (Some kind ofwWhite moth, I think)

I tried spraying the tree one year but it only encouraged them.

Seriously, I have less damaged fruit when I just let them eat their fill.

I expect the poison I'm using also kills whatever bugs attack the caterpillars, so now I just SHARE that tree with the caterpillers.

Oh yeah! It's a battle between me, and the lime green caterpillers, and the deer, on who gets the best fruit out of my apple trees as well....

they are especially fond of my Yellow Apple trees, i have 2 of them....the Deer prefer the yellow apple as well,(guess because they are the sweetest apples?), when they are done with the yellow, they move on to the more sour versions....mckintosh types, a green apple, and crab apple trees. The cateroillars just stay on the yellow apple trees as well, probably because they are sweet? don't really know?

I got Spring fever....

decided to look at my pics from last spring and summer, to get psyched on the warmer weather coming! hahahahahahahaha.......while it is a whopping 10 degrees outside with an iceslick the 4 mile stretch of the dirt road that goes through the woods....!!!

I know we got at least 2.5 months left of this cold, but that is a hell of alot better than the 6 months we had of it when in late October! :lol:

CAN'T WAIT TILL SPRING!

Days are getting longer already! Love it!

I hope the groundhog does NOT see it's shadow this year!

There are wild apple trees on the edge of the meadow in front of me that backs up to woods and a brook.

These apple trees produce the most fruit and all of it unblemished....smooth as a baby's butt!

While the apple trees on my property, which has been escavated to remove the woods and forrest, are attacked by the caterpillars and other bugs and a battle to keep unblemished?

This made me think that the apple trees in the wild, on the edge of the woods, probably have a better "eco system" working for them....with all the other trees around of the woods, it probably brings the birds and other creatures that might eat these caterpillars or keep them "in check" better than my landscaped lot?

There are wild apple trees on the edge of the meadow in front of me that backs up to woods and a brook.

These apple trees produce the most fruit and all of it unblemished....smooth as a baby's butt!

While the apple trees on my property, which has been escavated to remove the woods and forrest, are attacked by the caterpillars and other bugs and a battle to keep unblemished?

This made me think that the apple trees in the wild, on the edge of the woods, probably have a better "eco system" working for them....with all the other trees around of the woods, it probably brings the birds and other creatures that might eat these caterpillars or keep them "in check" better than my landscaped lot?

When you start tromping around in Maine's woods what you will encounter are enormous abandoned orchards all over the place.

There was a time when Mainers depended on those orchards, but post the Civil War Maine population shrank and a lot of farms were simply abandoned.

Those wild apples probably make great cidar, because that's one of the prime reasons people grew them back then.

That or they're baking apples.

When you start tromping around in Maine's woods what you will encounter are enormous abandoned orchards all over the place.

There was a time when Mainers depended on those orchards, but post the Civil War Maine population shrank and a lot of farms were simply abandoned.

Those wild apples probably make great cidar, because that's one of the prime reasons people grew them back then.

That or they're baking apples.

Because they are mostly sour apples, they make a GREAT homemade apple sauce as well! It takes alot of sugar, but the flavor is really saturated, the best apple sauce ever! (And i never even liked the stuff!)

I am gonna try the cider this coming year....i have bought the farm stand cider of the locals and it is fabulous!

I know what you mean about the apple orchards abandoned... our town hall/office has this beautiful lawn on the side front...with these glorious big ass trees....i was sitting in the car waiting for matt to pay the property taxes last summer and I realized that all of these big trees were apple trees, then noticed they were really lined up in rows, with some strategically missing....and then it came to me that the land that the office sits on now, which just relocated there 2 years ago, was an abandoned apple orchard.

Forum List

Back