Credit where it is due

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
Obama has ordered US military assets to take up Position around Libya. I have to give him Credit. Good Move. I wish he would be a little more public about it, but at least he is doing it.

I am a little skeptical.

So far things look pretty good as far as Gadhafi's days being numbered. But we all remember how hard it was to remove Saddam from power.

A lot can be done to help the Libyans succeed with their own revolution: seal the borders from arms and mercenary traffic, arm and support the protesters, perhaps that will be enough.

But if it isn't enough closing down the airspace is a pretty impotent tool to avert the land battle that could ensue. We would have to destroy Tripoli to dislodge Gadhafi and his supporters if they are determined and numerous enough to endure a siege.

And sieges are notoriously brutal ways to take a city of a million people. The civilian death toll could be horrendous. See: Battle of Stalingrad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those ships should have made turns toward Tripoli the first day. Obama is way late. Having Americans sit and wait on a chartered ferry for three days for the sea to calm is BS. They should have been evacuated the old fashioned way. Better late than never though.

those people are fine and sending in a military ship could have very well inflamed the situation and got people killed.

Results speaak for themselves.

the people are safe.

Obama has ordered US military assets to take up Position around Libya. I have to give him Credit. Good Move. I wish he would be a little more public about it, but at least he is doing it.

well, I personally think its weeks to late, I mean am glad they are their well almost there now. The major assets of the 6th fleet ( who covers the Mediterranean)have been in a Turkish port of call for over a week.

The Enterprise, CSG 12 ( Carrier Strike grp.) element of the 6th fleet force has just now, showed up ( well almost), it has been way south of the Suez for weeks before, yet, never made a move into the Mediterranean , or any of the other Atlantic CSG's, all through Tunisia, Egypt et al.

Last edited:
those people are fine and sending in a military ship could have very well inflamed the situation and got people killed.

the people are safe.

uh huh , like the french or brits?

the excuse that was trotted out for obamas slowness ( again) was hey we have people there, don't piss Guadaffi off...thats a non starter.

the people are safe.

The people are all safe. That's nice but not the point. Perception is reality and right now the reality is that the U.S. appears to the world to be neutered and confused. We used to own the Med now we have to pay someone to get our people out.

the people are safe.

uh huh , like the french or brits?

the excuse that was trotted out for obamas slowness ( again) was hey we have people there, don't piss Guadaffi off...thats a non starter.

Link?

Forum List

Back