Creators of California's Death Penalty Law Now Call for Life Without Parole

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
NEW VOICES: Creators of California's Death Penalty Law Now Call for Life Without Parole | Death Penalty Information Center

Donald Heller (pictured), who wrote California's death penalty law, and Ron Briggs, who led the campaign to reinstate the law in 1978, are now advocating for replacing the death penalty with a sentence of life without parole. Both now say that the law did not have the result they intended. “At the time, we were of the impression that it would do swift justice, that it would get the criminals and murderers through the system quickly and apply them the death penalty,” Briggs said. But the costs of the death penalty system has led him to reconsider his stance: "I tell my Republican friends, ‘Close your eyes for a moment. If there was a state program that was costing $185 million a year and only gave the money to lawyers and criminals, what would you do with it?’"

The only problem with the death penalty is that we don't use it near enough and don't extend it to enough crimes.

NEW VOICES: Creators of California's Death Penalty Law Now Call for Life Without Parole | Death Penalty Information Center

Donald Heller (pictured), who wrote California's death penalty law, and Ron Briggs, who led the campaign to reinstate the law in 1978, are now advocating for replacing the death penalty with a sentence of life without parole. Both now say that the law did not have the result they intended. “At the time, we were of the impression that it would do swift justice, that it would get the criminals and murderers through the system quickly and apply them the death penalty,” Briggs said. But the costs of the death penalty system has led him to reconsider his stance: "I tell my Republican friends, ‘Close your eyes for a moment. If there was a state program that was costing $185 million a year and only gave the money to lawyers and criminals, what would you do with it?’"

Finally ... Californians saying something I agree with.

That darned due process, always getting in the way of state sponsored vengeance.

The only problem with the death penalty is that we don't use it near enough and don't extend it to enough crimes.
Yeah.....sure......

handjob.gif

Most of the inmates on death row end up serving sentences of their natural life anyway. They die of old age before they can be executed. What they can do, is file endless frivolous lawsuits and groundless appeals that cost millions. They do it because it's fun, they are bored, and it's some measure of revenge.

I believe any one who is a repeat predator - who has shown that they have chosen to prey on others as away of life, should be put to death. If you take someones life intentially you should sacrifise yours. If you choose to belong to a gang that preys on others - death penalty. California - reaps what they have sown. Dumb liberals have sunk that ship!
Destroy the predators, and the prey will flourish!

Forum List

Back