Creationism: The Latest In Military Suicide Prevention

YWN666

Freelance Beer Tester
Nov 11, 2008
Daily Kos: Creationism: The Latest In Military Suicide Prevention

by Chris Rodda
Sun Nov 30, 2008 at 07:54:13 AM PST

Here at the Military Religious Freedom Foundation (MRFF), we get countless complaints about religiously based mental health and counseling programs, which, over the past few years, have been systematically replacing proven psychological and medical approaches to a multitude of issues faced by military personnel. I've seen so many truly insane, not to mention blatantly unconstitutional, ways that the military is playing with the mental well being of our troops since I began working for MRFF that I really didn't think it was possible for me to be surprised by anything anymore. Then I was sent a PowerPoint presentation by an airman at RAF Lakenheath, the largest U.S. Air Force base in England. On the MRFF scale of classifying by various expletives the egregiousness level of things that are reported to us -- "holy crap," "holy shit," and "holy f..." -- this one, promoting creationism as a means of preventing suicide among our military personnel, was definitely a "holy f..."

Chris Rodda's diary :: ::
In March 2008, this presentation, titled "A New Approach To Suicide Prevention: Developing Purpose-Driven Airmen," was shown at a commander's call that was mandatory for an estimated 1,000 of Lakenheath's Air Force personnel, and sent out by email to the entire base of over 5,000 the following day. As the use of the phrase "Purpose-Driven" in its title implies, also incorporated into this presentation is the wisdom of presidential candidate inquisitor Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life, a book that, second only to the Bible itself, is the most heavily promoted religious book in the military.

Following a slide stating, "Dr. Rick Warren’s book, The Purpose Driven Life, provides a powerful model for Suicide Prevention, developing leaders, and making troops combat ready and effective," the author of the presentation, Air Force chaplain Capt. Christian Biscotti, brings up Charles Darwin for the first time in defining what he calls "3 Levels of Purpose."

Follow the link for the entire article.

Biscotti is full of hot air.

Thanks for highlighting Daily Kos at the beginning of the article. I didn't waste my time reading it.

Are you saying that the Daily Kos falsified the quotes and manufactured the PowerPoint presentation that was being discussed?

I have to admit I've never read The Purpose Driven Life.

Does it have some connection to "Creationism", or is the connection purely fabricated as a way of serving an anti religion agenda?

Just wondering.

I would not completely discount this issue. The guy I date is a high-ranking officer in the Navy. We've had many discussions on how powerful fundamentalist Christianity is in the military right now.

The Purpose Driven Life is a Christian book. This is religious nationalism promoted by the military.

Last edited by a moderator:
But you'd believe the quotes and facts if they were reported by someone like Rush Limbaugh?

Rush is a commentator. He doesn't report the news, he editorializes. It's an important distinction.

Both sides spin their fact to be sypathetic to their agenda. IMHO, best not to use either as a "news source".

Rush is a commentator. He doesn't report the news, he editorializes. It's an important distinction.

Both sides spin their fact to be sypathetic to their agenda. IMHO, best not to use either as a "news source".

How can you spin exact words quoted in the story? How do you fake links to the material described in the article? The article I posted wasn't just an opinion piece, it reported facts.

i may have to neg rep your dumbass for the first statement...even if it is true...rush does however try to make the news....as we have seen in the passed ...i am not talking about his drug use but how he bends and twists the facts...but he is simply a entertainer that i find distasteful....you better watch for the neg rep...going to push the button now...heehheheeee

How can you spin exact words quoted in the story? How do you fake links to the material described in the article? The article I posted wasn't just an opinion piece, it reported facts.

I appreciate you making my point for me.

i may have to neg rep your dumbass for the first statement...even if it is true...rush does however try to make the news....as we have seen in the passed ...i am not talking about his drug use but how he bends and twists the facts...but he is simply a entertainer that i find distasteful....you better watch for the neg rep...going to push the button now...heehheheeee

I think you were telling a fib. :D

I'm with you. I may listen to Rush twice a year.

oopsie sorry yall i just realized this is a serious thread in the military zone.

It needed some of your brand of levity. :thup:

Originally Posted by YWN666

I appreciate you making my point for me.

So now you have to be dishonest by highlighting a portion of my comment to make it look like I agree with you? I'll consider that your white flag.

So now you have to be dishonest by highlighting a portion of my comment to make it look like I agree with you? I'll consider that your white flag.

You're too in love with that Neg Rep...weak.

It's an opinion piece. That's a fact. Nothing dishonest about it.

Edit; Ironic how I pick out a fact you typed and use it to support my position and you neg rep me, but an article that does the same you defend.

Last edited:
I would not completely discount this issue. The guy I date is a high-ranking officer in the Navy. We've had many discussions on how powerful fundamentalist Christianity is in the military right now.

This is really dangerous, fundamentalists of any kind dont run in away from battle, but you will get atrocities, and atrocities are detrimental.

Apart from that, a fundamentalist will have ehmm fundamental problems in understanding the enemy, something that will make winning more difficult.

Considering the particular case, you may end up with a well armed and connected group of people who see themselfs as superior, all other as inferior and likely have random apocalyptic thoughts. As a German, that would look like a Deja Vue of the most ugly kind.

You're too in love with that Neg Rep...weak.

It's an opinion piece. That's a fact. Nothing dishonest about it.

Edit; Ironic how I pick out a fact you typed and use it to support my position and you neg rep me, but an article that does the same you defend.

You misquoted my words to support your position, you jackass. That is dishonesty.

You misquoted my words to support your position, you jackass. That is dishonesty.

LOL...I see your whole quote.

I neither added nor subtracted a single word.

So who is being dishonest.

Now your arguement is reduced to name calling.

Better luck next time.

Forum List

Back