Creating the Appearance of Paying for Medicare Long Term

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Christopher, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +75
    It seems many politicians are fine with just creating the appearance that the recently passed reform bill will provide enough funds for Medicare benefits down the road. Here is what the Obama administration promises on health care reform regarding Medicare. From here: Frequently Asked Questions about Health Insurance Reform | Health Insurance Reform Reality Check
    Now, here is what the CBO said after they analyzed the effects of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) just before Christmas. This is from their report on the effect of this act on the HI trust fund which is the accounting mechanism through which the government pays for Medicare Part A http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/108xx/doc10868/12-23-Trust_Fund_Accounting.pdf

Note the words in bold. Here is the main point from the CBO:

So, as long as they shuffle the numbers around and make it appear as though they are going to be able to keep funding Medicare in the future with health reform, that’s fine right?

2. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I must admit I don't totally understand how that will work, but it sounds like another bait and switch which this administration is becoming famous for. What the CBO could not project as well is the effect of 20 million illegals on Medicaid/Medicare which will happen as soon as they push amnesty through.

And who will pick the tomatoes when they are all on the govt teat? But I digress...

3. Christopher

Christopher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I think that is the point. They do not want us to really understand it. It is just another way to shuffle money around. Such as how they are going to reduce some premiums people pay yet not really decrease overall health care costs.