Create Your Own Cabinet "Dream Team"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by QUENTIN, Dec 4, 2008.

1. QUENTIN

QUENTIN VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Hi, new here. Thought this would be a fun way to start off on a board for those who pay close attention to politics.

So, for better or worse Obama is our next president. So far he's chosen Hillary, Daschle, Emanuel, Holder, Gates, and almost exclusively other establishment Washington figures to fill his cabinet.

What if you got to pick instead? Let's imagine you had the opportunity to select an ideal group to help run the country, anyone alive who you think would be perfect to perform in each appointed capacity.

We'll leave Pres and VP as they are since they're elected positions (but feel free to make his cabinet nothing but neo-cons, libertarians, or Greens if that's what you think is best) and leave every appointable position on the table.

Who would you choose?

My picks:

Secretary of State: Jesse Jackson
    Secretary of Treasury: Amartya Sen
    Secretary of Defense: Gen. Anthony Zinni
    Deputy: Col. Paul Hughes
    Secretary of Peace (create): Dennis Kucinich
    Attorney General: Glenn Greenwald
    National Security Advisor: Richard Clarke
    Secretary of the Interior: Al Gore
    Secretary of Agriculture: Robert Bergland
    Secretary of Commerce: Ralph Nader
    Secretary of Labor: Richard Trumka
    Secretary of Health and Human Services: Quentin Young
    Secretary of Education: Alfie Kohn
    Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Jimmy Carter
    Secretary of Transportation: David Mongan
    Secretary of Energy: Mike Gravel
    Secretary of Veterans Affairs: Camila Mejia
    Secretary of Homeland Security (dismantle)
    Chief of Staff: Robert Wexler
    Senior Advisor to the President: Noam Chomsky
    CEA Advisor: Barbara Boxer
    EPA Admin: Bill McKibben
    Director of Management and Budget Office: Russ Feingold
    Drug Czar: Jack Cole
    Trade Rep: Joseph Stiglitz
    Press Secretary: Bill Moyers
    UN Ambassador: Bill Richardson

Supreme Court Appointments
    : Nadine Strossen, Jonathan Turley, Laurence Tribe

2. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    stopped reading at jesse Jackson

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Pretty much.... Jesse Jackson is a fucking joke

Then following that up with creating a "Secretary of Peace", having a position for Al 'Carbon Credit Scam' Gore, putting the worst President in recent US history in Jimmy Carter associated with anything, dismantling homeland security, and thinking Barbara Boxer can do anything... that just made it fucking laughable

4. NOBama

NOBama Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +173
    When I saw JJ as SOS I had to check to see if this thread was on the Humor board, but it's not :eek:

5. QUENTIN

QUENTIN VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +203
    He may be a controversial figure here, but from being a prominent and important leader of the civil rights movement he has gained immense popularity internationally (with the possible exception of Israel, who we already have closer ties to than any other country so that wouldn't be an issue).

Most importantly, he has a record of being a master negotiator with foreign heads of state, even those generally very unfriendly nations opposed to cooperation with the U.S.

He was able to convince the Syrian government in 1983 to release an American held hostage. In '99 he met with Slobodan Milosevic and secured the release of three Americans being held hostage there when no one else could. He's popular throughout Africa and South America, has met cordially with Chavez, and Middle Eastern leaders are more open to diplomacy with Jackson than a hawkish inside the beltway figure.

He's also been right about our major foreign policy mistakes from the start (Vietnam, Nicaragua, Iraq, etc) and is known as a peaceful man without being a "pacifist" that some might try to bully.

On all the matters that a Secretary of State must be skilled, Jackson's a good choice. He'd be very unpopular among a huge group of the U.S. populace who think he and Sharpton should just "shut up," but a Secretary of State needs to be well-respected among the international community more than they need to be loved here.

What's your justification for his being such a terrible pick that it was impossible to continue reading?

6. QUENTIN

QUENTIN VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Oh, so all of you so far are just modern "conservatives" who think anyone who supports actual liberty and equality should be banned from wielding power?

7. QUENTIN

QUENTIN VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +203
    The idea that Jimmy Carter, the only president in 60 years who might not be guilty of war crimes, is "the worst president in recent US history" is so laughable and indefensible I couldn't match it if I tried for the rest of my days.

You oppose a Department of Peace? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're a supporter of strong national defense though, right? Explain how on Earth perpetual war is a good thing and peace is worthy of derision.

You're so obviously an uncritically thinking right-wing reactionary I'm not even sure the point.

I abhor ad hominem arguments and I'm very open to reasoned debate and discussion (it's what I joined to have) but they're predicated upon stated, rational justification for your positions. "They're a liberal OMG they suck so hard hahahaha" is not that.

And while people are free to comment on my choices, the point was for people to list their own ideal cabinets. If my picks are so terrible, illustrate that with better appointments of your own. Who could do better?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  8. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Carter is the most blundering, mistake ridden, foreign policy nightmare we have had in the Whitehouse in the 20th century and beyond... and his domestic policy was not much better than his absolutely horrid foreign policy... any defense of Carter as a good president is about as laughable as declaring Joey Lawrence as a great entertainer and thespian

And what would a little department of peace do? Support singing kumbaya to rogue nations? Promote happy thoughts? What would it do in relations that we do not already have existing with our Secretary of State and foreign ambassadors? Sounds more like a pot enduced hippie rant..

The principle charge of our federal government is our national defense, and a strong one... hence the necessity for a secretary of defense... preparing for attacks, planning for possible entanglements with our enemies, funding and supplying our military

9. Navy1960

Navy1960 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    While I respect your opinion, most of the names on here would be an unmitigated disaster in the positions that your would have them placed in. In fact Mr. Richardson is up for Commerce Sec. much to the delight of the the Chinese I am sure as during his tenure at the Clinton Administration Chinese missile technology got a really big boost from Los Alamos Natl. Labs in N.M. As for Richard Clarke I will let his words speak for himself,

On March 24, 2004, Clarke testified at the public 9/11 Commission hearings.[5] At the outset of his testimony Clarke offered an apology to the families of 9/11 victims and an acknowledgment that the government had failed: "I also welcome the hearings because it is finally a forum where I can apologize to the loved ones of the victims of 9/11...", "To the loved ones of the victims of 9/11, to them who are here in this room, to those who are watching on television, your government failed you. Those entrusted with protecting you failed you. And I failed you. We tried hard, but that doesn't matter because we failed. And for that failure, I would ask, once all the facts are out, for your understanding and for your forgiveness."

Al Gore is a complete joke and as I pointed out in another thread he is in the environmental business and I do mean business. So to put him in charge of the the Interior would be like putting the Fox in charge of the hen house. I'm sure he would be able to make even more money with his London based Carbon trading firm being in that position. Jimmy Carter well, no words are needed there , perhaps the housing thing might be a good thing for him though as he has IMO done very well with his housing charity but by no means should he come anywhere near anything that resembles foreign policy. I could keep going but again, thank you for the posting and welcome to the board.

10. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,113
    $images.jpg

$images2.jpg

$images1.jpg