Create Debate At Work As Well

tinmancrow

Rookie
Dec 6, 2005
I'm brand-spankin' new to the chatroom here. This is my first post. WooHoo! One thing that really erks me is all of the anti-war, anti-bush, anti-conservative, and anti-republican junk I see everywhere. I have yet to walk into a store and find something that reads, "I support the war". What I put up in my cubicle at work just over a year ago was an anti liberal poster to create buzz around the office. It certainly did. It looks similar to the clock on ebay right now titled "CLOCK ANTI LIBERAL REPUBLICAN DEMOCRAT CONSERVATIVE". It obviously created some harsh debate, but it also created some civil debate as well. It was and still is awesome. I still have people taking a second look into my workspace, and at least half of those have a comment. I love it. Does anyone else have a similar story or experience?

tinmancrow said:
I'm brand-spankin' new to the chatroom here. This is my first post. WooHoo! One thing that really erks me is all of the anti-war, anti-bush, anti-conservative, and anti-republican junk I see everywhere. I have yet to walk into a store and find something that reads, "I support the war". What I put up in my cubicle at work just over a year ago was an anti liberal poster to create buzz around the office. It certainly did. It looks similar to the clock on ebay right now titled "CLOCK ANTI LIBERAL REPUBLICAN DEMOCRAT CONSERVATIVE". It obviously created some harsh debate, but it also created some civil debate as well. It was and still is awesome. I still have people taking a second look into my workspace, and at least half of those have a comment. I love it. Does anyone else have a similar story or experience?

Good enthusiasm.

tinmancrow said:

I sometimes listen to Rush, then Hannity, then a local conservative Bill Manders on talk radio at work. A couple others also do too. No one really says anything about it. Most of whom I work with are conservative. Liberal is kind of a dirty word around my work.

Pale Rider said:
I sometimes listen to Rush, then Hannity, then a local conservative Bill Manders on talk radio at work. A couple others also do too. No one really says anything about it. Most of whom I work with are conservative. Liberal is kind of a dirty word around my work.
Where do you work?

Pale Rider said:
Most of whom I work with are conservative. Liberal is kind of a dirty word around my work.

Same here. Even the Democrats are more moderate and probably voted for Bush in '04, though most would never admit it. There are the occasional young punks that aren't so much Liberal as they are just... well, young punks. They will write something on the wall in the bathroom or sneer if someone says something about President Bush, but they don't have the brain power to sneer and argue at the same time, so we don't hear much from them.

I've found that the best way to deal with a Liberal, in the workplace or anywhere else, is to ask them why they have the opinion they have. If they can actually answer the question, it can lead to a civil conversation. If they are the kind that get thier opinion from CNN or a story from the New York Times, at most they call you a Nazi and walk away. Usually, they just stand there with a blank look on their face before repeating their opinion and walking away.

tinmancrow said:

These things don't tend to go over well in NYC or Philly. What kind of debates did it engender?

Welcome to the board.

New Topics

Forum List

Back