Crazy Lefty suggests we should have ALLIED ourselves WITH Iran against Al Qaeda!

DeadCanDance

May 29, 2007
I can still hear the laughter of Bush voters ringing in my ears, when I suggested the shia Iran is not a natural ally of al Qaeda, and that indeed we could have exploited the historical shia/sunni--Persian/arab split to enlist Iran’s aid against the people who actually attacked america.

I hate being right all the time…its too bad we have a moron for president.

Huckabee rips President Bush's foreign policy

On Iran, GOP presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said Bush blew a chance to improve relations right after the 2001 terrorist attacks and that the United States should be talking to Iran today.

"When we first invaded Afghanistan, Iran helped, especially in dealings with their ally, the Northern Alliance," he said. "They wanted to join us in fighting al Qaida. …The CIA and State Department supported a partnership. Some in the White House and beyond did not (read: Cheney). And when President Bush included Iran in the axis of evil, everything went downhill pretty fast."

Even with today's sour relations, he said the United States should talk to Iran and use the promise of better relations and increased trade as well as the threat of economic isolation to persuade the country to abandon its nuclear program.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/election2008/story/20093.html

I can still hear the laughter of Bush voters ringing in my ears, when I suggested the shia Iran is not a natural ally of al Qaeda, and that indeed we could have exploited the historical shia/sunni--Persian/arab split to enlist Iran’s aid against the people who actually attacked america.

While I think Huckabee is a douche, he has a point. Sunnis hate the Shias (and vice versa), they have been battleing for centuries. Bush blew a lot of opportunities after 9/11 when he decided to invade Iran.

Iran and Al Qaeda are natural enemies. I think they might be doing a little the enemy of my enemy is my friend right now though.

UMMMM ok maybe I am a little confused but I am sure that Iran supports and arms the militia element we fight in Iraq. Before the Iraq war they openly supported and armed Hezzbolah and Hamas. Now they are not only supporting and arming militias in Iraq but they have started it in the Stan. Why on Earth would we ever want to ally with them to fight AQ? Before anyone tells me that we should have done it to fight AQ and if we did we wouldnt have the problems we do today in Iraq because we would be allied to them that means nothing. They would openly help us against AQ and still pass weapons to our enemies so they can shoot us in the back. At least this way we know who our enemies are!

The outrage over the idea is so phony. It is just politics. Republicans think that ideas from Democrats are bad, not because of the substance of the idea but because of the person who is advocating it. Similarly, Democrats think that ideas given by Republicans are bad because Republicans came up with the idea. Did conservatives or Republicans raise any objection when we helped Iraq in its war with Iran? Did it oppose our helping Afghanistan in its war with the USSR? I don’t think so.

The enemy of our enemy is not necessarily our friend. Yet, sometimes it is good to align ourselves with our enemy to fight what might be a more immediate threat. After the threat is gone, we need to go back to carefully watching our enemy. I think that is what we failed to do with Afghanistan. Once the Afghan/Russia war was over, we seemingly ignored Afghanistan.

Well yeah, all except you AREN'T right. Matter of fact, while your history is accurate, it's a dumb idea and wouldn't work.

And quit trying to blame us because you Democrats couldn't find anything in your lineup that's a better offer. Long as you keep sticking those complete imbeciles out there as candidates, I'm going to vote against them.

The outrage over the idea is so phony. It is just politics. Republicans think that ideas from Democrats are bad, not because of the substance of the idea but because of the person who is advocating it. Similarly, Democrats think that ideas given by Republicans are bad because Republicans came up with the idea. Did conservatives or Republicans raise any objection when we helped Iraq in its war with Iran? Did it oppose our helping Afghanistan in its war with the USSR? I don’t think so.

The enemy of our enemy is not necessarily our friend. Yet, sometimes it is good to align ourselves with our enemy to fight what might be a more immediate threat. After the threat is gone, we need to go back to carefully watching our enemy. I think that is what we failed to do with Afghanistan. Once the Afghan/Russia war was over, we seemingly ignored Afghanistan.

The west tried to ignore the islamist threat FOR DECADES. It was ONLY dealt with so far as it threatened Israel while we left our own asses hanging out.

Hey pot ... perhaps you need to look at kettle's initial post before pointing a finger at the right. That's not a Republican firing the first round ...

Forum List

Back