Craziness

That woman is nuts. She would be treated by any ER she walked into.
You're quite right. That is the law and it's a good law because it reflects the value of American citizenship. But it also reflects one of the main reasons why I strongly advocate rigid control of immigration.

(Excerpt)

"In 2003, the American Southwest saw 77 hospitals enter bankruptcy due to unpaid medical bills incurred by illegal aliens. A staggering 84 hospitals in California have been forced to close their doors because of the growing crisis. Hospitals which manage to remain open, then pass the unpaid costs onto the rest of us, which translates into more out-of-pocket expenses and higher insurance premiums for all Americans."

» Sherline: What Do Illegal Aliens Cost Hospitals? » Commentary -- GOPUSA

(Close)

While it would be laudable if we could provide medical care to the impoverished citizens of every nation in the world -- we simply cannot. Nor can we feed the world's hungry and defend the world's oppressed.

If we left our individual front doors open to the local needy we would be homeless, if not robbed and murdered, within a week. And for the same reason it has become critically important to lock our borders to all but the invited.

WOW!
Common ground is found with MikeK and I.
But he won't know it unless someone quotes me!

Always willing to assist a damsel, distressed or not.

Hmm I also obtained ER treatment and presented the expenses to insurance. Insurance rejected to pay it, they said I was on organization property and therefore it was a employees pay declare. I presented the expenses to the organization, and employees pay rejected to pay for it because I was off operating hours and operating as an separate service provider. I finished up shelling out the expenses myself....

BDBoop said:
Don't hospitals have to treat people whether they have insurance or not?
No i dont think they do.... (In the states anyway) I have heard of MANT PPL being turned away because THEY COULDNT AFFORD IT!!!!!!

The healthcare system is a big $$$$$ making scam.... THEY DONT CARE ABOUT GETTING PPL FEELING BETTER,all they care about is lining thier pockets...

Quite sad......

Last edited:
That people can be seriously injured, and refuse to seek attention because they don't have insurance.

I just took a claim for a woman who received a severe laceration, and won't go get treated. The place of business will cover her, but that's a 72-hour window before the case gets examined and accepted. Meanwhile, she will apparently bleed out. By choice.

Some of them, yes.

Some of them, no.

That people can be seriously injured, and refuse to seek attention because they don't have insurance.

I just took a claim for a woman who received a severe laceration, and won't go get treated. The place of business will cover her, but that's a 72-hour window before the case gets examined and accepted. Meanwhile, she will apparently bleed out. By choice.

No.

Any patient who "comes to the emergency department" requesting "examination or treatment for a medical condition" must be provided with "an appropriate medical screening examination" to determine if he is suffering from an "emergency medical condition". If he is, then the hospital is obligated to either provide him with treatment until he is stable or to transfer him to another hospital in conformance with the statute's directives.

FAQ on EMTALA

Now realistically, due to liability concerns, they will treat most anyone that walks through the door. But I can guarantee you she will be billed and they will aggressively pursue payment.

It does sound like she would qualify as an 'emergency'.

Emergency rooms do.

True story........

About 25 years ago I was working for company as a full time employee and I had health insurance through my employer. I also did side work for that same employer as an independent contractor on the weekends. So one Saturday, I am on their property doing some independent contracting work and cut my finger pretty bad (the tune of 14 stitches). I received ER treatment and submitted the bill to insurance. Insurance refused to pay it, they said I was on company property and therefore it was a workers comp claim. I submitted the bill to the company, and workers comp refused to pay for it because I was off working hours and working as an independent contractor. I ended up paying the bill myself.

Your insurance should have paid it. You should have fought them over it.

The craziness in all this is the COST of medical treatment. I got an $88,000 bill for 10 days in a hospital. $20 for an ibuprofen? For real? I suppose for real, when they can hold your life hostage.

What we need are more doctors, so many more that we'll need a minimum wage law to protect them from abuse and poverty.

When my youngest son was born ten weeks early, he had to stay in NICU for 47 days. This was in the mid 90's. The bill came to $324,000. Now, while he was born only weighing a little over three pounds, he was in pretty good shape. He didn't need much except to be on oxygen as his lungs weren't fully developed. So he was on oxygen in an incubator and he was hooked up to monitors in case his heart stopped beating, or he stopped breathing. His doctor checked on him once every few days, but there really wasn't anything wrong with him. He just needed to be on oxygen and be in an environment where he could be monitored 24/7, all for the cost of $324,000.

There just is no sensible relationship between medical care and its cost.

The craziness in all this is the COST of medical treatment. I got an $88,000 bill for 10 days in a hospital. $20 for an ibuprofen? For real? I suppose for real, when they can hold your life hostage.

What we need are more doctors, so many more that we'll need a minimum wage law to protect them from abuse and poverty.

When my youngest son was born ten weeks early, he had to stay in NICU for 47 days. This was in the mid 90's. The bill came to $324,000. Now, while he was born only weighing a little over three pounds, he was in pretty good shape. He didn't need much except to be on oxygen as his lungs weren't fully developed. So he was on oxygen in an incubator and he was hooked up to monitors in case his heart stopped beating, or he stopped breathing. His doctor checked on him once every few days, but there really wasn't anything wrong with him. He just needed to be on oxygen and be in an environment where he could be monitored 24/7, all for the cost of $324,000.

There just is no sensible relationship between medical care and its cost.

Of course, no one is paying $20 for an ibuprofen or $324,000 for 47 days of a little bit of oxygen and some monitors.

Forum List

Back