Craziness

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
That people can be seriously injured, and refuse to seek attention because they don't have insurance.

I just took a claim for a woman who received a severe laceration, and won't go get treated. The place of business will cover her, but that's a 72-hour window before the case gets examined and accepted. Meanwhile, she will apparently bleed out. By choice.

Don't hospitals have to treat people whether they have insurance or not?

• Banned
That was the impression I was under, but since it might be outdated - I did not know for sure.

It's very frustrating, sometimes (my job).

That people can be seriously injured, and refuse to seek attention because they don't have insurance.

I just took a claim for a woman who received a severe laceration, and won't go get treated. The place of business will cover her, but that's a 72-hour window before the case gets examined and accepted. Meanwhile, she will apparently bleed out. By choice.

Emergency rooms do.

True story........

About 25 years ago I was working for company as a full time employee and I had health insurance through my employer. I also did side work for that same employer as an independent contractor on the weekends. So one Saturday, I am on their property doing some independent contracting work and cut my finger pretty bad (the tune of 14 stitches). I received ER treatment and submitted the bill to insurance. Insurance refused to pay it, they said I was on company property and therefore it was a workers comp claim. I submitted the bill to the company, and workers comp refused to pay for it because I was off working hours and working as an independent contractor. I ended up paying the bill myself.

It's also covered by work comp insurance. Sounds like she is being intimidated by some consideration outside the ordinary, like being fired for causing her employer a problem; like something's going on behind the scenes

• Banned

Emergency rooms do.

True story........

About 25 years ago I was working for company as a full time employee and I had health insurance through my employer. I also did side work for that same employer as an independent contractor on the weekends. So one Saturday, I am on their property doing some independent contracting work and cut my finger pretty bad (the tune of 14 stitches). I received ER treatment and submitted the bill to insurance. Insurance refused to pay it, they said I was on company property and therefore it was a workers comp claim. I submitted the bill to the company, and workers comp refused to pay for it because I was off working hours and working as an independent contractor. I ended up paying the bill myself.

Holy ouch! But at least you went in.

Yep...

The craziness in all this is the COST of medical treatment. I got an $88,000 bill for 10 days in a hospital. $20 for an ibuprofen? For real? I suppose for real, when they can hold your life hostage.

What we need are more doctors, so many more that we'll need a minimum wage law to protect them from abuse and poverty.

Oh, this is nothing. We take claims for property damage in storage lockers. Last night, a guy called in from Canada, wanting a french translator. I got him one, and proceeded to try to take his claim.

There wasn't one. He and his wife were locked in the locker. He wanted me to get him out. He got hysterical when I said he should call 911. And he yelled "SPEAK FRENCH!" every time I opened my mouth.

Good times.

the ER... yes they sure do.

That woman is nuts. She would be treated by any ER she walked into.
You're quite right. That is the law and it's a good law because it reflects the value of American citizenship. But it also reflects one of the main reasons why I strongly advocate rigid control of immigration.

(Excerpt)

"In 2003, the American Southwest saw 77 hospitals enter bankruptcy due to unpaid medical bills incurred by illegal aliens. A staggering 84 hospitals in California have been forced to close their doors because of the growing crisis. Hospitals which manage to remain open, then pass the unpaid costs onto the rest of us, which translates into more out-of-pocket expenses and higher insurance premiums for all Americans."

» Sherline: What Do Illegal Aliens Cost Hospitals? » Commentary -- GOPUSA

(Close)

While it would be laudable if we could provide medical care to the impoverished citizens of every nation in the world -- we simply cannot. Nor can we feed the world's hungry and defend the world's oppressed.

If we left our individual front doors open to the local needy we would be homeless, if not robbed and murdered, within a week. And for the same reason it has become critically important to lock our borders to all but the invited.

Last edited:
You're quite right. That is the law and it's a good law because it reflects the value of American citizenship. But it also reflects one of the main reasons why I strongly advocate rigid control of immigration.

(Excerpt)

"In 2003, the American Southwest saw 77 hospitals enter bankruptcy due to unpaid medical bills incurred by illegal aliens. A staggering 84 hospitals in California have been forced to close their doors because of the growing crisis. Hospitals which manage to remain open, then pass the unpaid costs onto the rest of us, which translates into more out-of-pocket expenses and higher insurance premiums for all Americans."

(Close)

While it would be laudable if we could provide medical care to the impoverished citizens of every nation in the world -- we simply cannot. Nor can we feed the world's hungry and defend the world's oppressed.

If we left our individual front doors open to the local needy we would be homeless, if not robbed and murdered, within a week. And for the same reason it has become critically important to lock our borders to all but the invited.

Holy crap! what you just described is essentially a 'tax' that some insurance execs get to make profits on at the expense of the insured and the hospitals.

Either let me buy my health coverage in a truly competitive market place that is NOT tied to my employer, or let's go with a public option. The current bullshit ain't working worth a damn.

(Excerpt)

(Close)

WOW!
Common ground is found with MikeK and I.
But he won't know it unless someone quotes me!

Forum List

Back